All Politics is Local-Real Local

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

All Politics is Local-Real Local

Postby jcjm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:20 pm

**NOTE--I'm putting this in Politics because it mentions political views people hold, but its more of an example of the ME centereness of politics and people.

Ed Schultz does a segment which he calls “crazy talk”. While he usually drives me up a wall, and I usually don’t agree with what he says, I have to give him credit for pointing out how people just say crazy things.

Here are some of the crazy things I have come across, which to me seem hypocritical or just crazy.

You would think people who are Pro-Life would be against guns, but not so much. Usually they are for guns.

You would think people that are Pro-Choice would be for guns or at least the choice to own or not own, but not so much. Usually their Pro-Choice view doesn’t apply to owning a gun.

You would think people who are Pro-Life would be against the death penalty, but not so much. Usually they are for the death penalty.

You would think people who are not Pro-Life would be for the death penalty, but not so much. Usually they are against the death penalty.

You would think right wing people who are against adding additional laws because it hurts the economy would be against adding any new laws , but not so much. The same people who want less govt control are the first in line when it comes to making laws which exempt things like banks, credit cards, insurance, etc. from legislation.

You would think the left wing people who think there needs to be a law for everything would have no problem passing legislation, but not so much. They only want to do it if it can be done without additional taxes to the middle class.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

So let’s make a recap

Pro-Life people aren’t for life when it comes to the death penalty and guns, so I guess they aren’t really Pro-Life, just anti abortion.

Pro-Choice people aren’t for choice when it comes to owning a gun or deciding what’s best for you, so I guess they aren’t really Pro-Choice, just pro-abortion.

The Right wing isn’t against making laws when they help them, just when they don’t.

The left wing isn’t for making laws when they don’t help them, just when they do.

So, basically, there is no pro-life, pro-choice, pro-legislation or anti-legislation, just
• pro-ME and
• anti-ANYONE THAT DOESN’T AGREE WITH ME

Sound like something out of a bad George Carlin monologue.

With this kind of rational in the voting public its amazing things aren’t worse than they are.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: All Politics is Local-Real Local

Postby merk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:48 pm

I'm definitely liberal leaning, as are most of my friends.

I can't obviously speaking for every person who considers themselves liberal/left leaning.

however, i can say i and my friends are not in favor of any laws that tell a person what they can or can not do, as long as whatever that person is doing doesn't interfere with me.

Some of the issues he raised are kind of dumb when taken IN context. It's not pro-life - because the flip side of that would be pro-death. It's 'do you think something you can only see in a microscope is a human being or not'. That's the issue. No sane person think's you should be able to kill a child just because you don't want it. The issue is at what point does a developing fetus count as a child. IF anything is hypocritical it's being against abortion AND against birth control/sex ed/welfare programs for moms/children.

The gun issue - again, not so much an issue of 'i dont want you to own guns' but more an issue of 'i dont want to you kill me'. If there were some magic wand we could wave that would someone make it impossible for anyone to kill another person with a gun, i don't think you'd find too many people, liberal or otherwise, who'd care at that point if you own a gun or not.

As for passing laws - on that issue I do see some hypocrisy on the right side, since they want typically want less govt control in their lives, UNLESS the govt is forcing you to live your life the way they think it should be lived - i.e. trying to get religion in school, gay marriage etc

Personally, i think schultz dumbed down all the issues just to try and make everyone look like an idiot - or you're bad at summarizing what he said :)
Do you have a link to the original article?
My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:20 pm

Who is this idiot? :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:06 am

There is no specific article. Ed Schultz does a segment on his show on MSNBC called "crazy talk". Where as Merk says he picks stupid things and makes the person look like an idiot. I think he is a left wing version of Rush Limbaugh, or at least thats what he wants people to think (even has the look, heavy set with slicked back hair). These aren't things I have seen specifically on his show, just on shows like it, which I would consider crazy talk.

I don't have hard political feelings of the things mentioned, it just kind of drives me nuts when I see the same people (Politicians, Commentators, News People, etc) on TV taking views on both sides of the fence.

Technically speaking, Pro-Life is just that. Against abortion, embrionic stem cell research, the death penalty, euthenasia, war, and a couple of more things I can't remember(I don't have a link but you can check pro-life web sites to see what pro-life really means). I have seen a lot of people who say they are pro-life, who are anti abortion but don't hold any of the other pro-life views. Who are for the death penalty, war, guns, and almost everything a true pro-lifer would be against.

As far as Pro-Choice, the name itself gives the idea that you are for people making their own choices. Yet I see the same thing here, people (Politicians, Commentators, News People, etc) on TV taking views that try to make everybody conform to one standard, theirs. In many cases I see the same people who say they have a choice when it comes to abortion, trying to keep other people from having a choice in other things. You would think if choice is so important, these people would be against anything that limits a persons choice. But in so many cases they are not. In fact they are the same people who want to make a law about everything, controlling other peoples actions.

That's why my point was that for most people its not Pro-Life, anti-legislation or any of the things they label it as.

Its just about doing what YOU want and maybe using a catchy name to get people on YOUR bandwagon.

People don't want to say I'm for or against abortion, so they say I am Pro-Life or Pro-Choice. They don't want to say I am only for legislation that does me good, so they say I am for or against big government. They try to spice it up to get people on their bandwagon when in reality they aren't pro or anti anything except Pro ME.

Its funny and annoying at the same time.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Politics