STATE OF THE UNION

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

STATE OF THE UNION

Postby jcjm » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:59 am

Haven't seen any posts on the state of the union speach, so I guess most people feel the same as I did and didn't even watch it.

I happened to go by some of the channels carrying it when I was channel surfing and I zipped right past them.

It made my skin crawl, just the few seconds I was passing through.

Everything Obama seems to say these days seems like its a pep rally and the Republican's try to nit pick anything he does say.

It makes me cringe more than Honey Boo Boo.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: STATE OF THE UNION

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:49 pm

What irritated me was Boehner introducing Obama "with great honor", and yet he fights him every step of the way.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:01 pm

I watched most of it, except for when I switched from online viewing to TV and then back to online. And then when I was online, there was a short period when my family was talking to me, so I couldn't pay attention to it all.

Obama definitely spent a lot less time talking about the state of the union compared to unveiling proposals and making calls to action. I don't often watch SOTU addresses, so perhaps this is normal.

You can view it here or read the transcript, if you're interested:
http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/SOTU

This page allows the user to click on a sentence in the transcript and send feedback on the issue.

I think by viewing you get a sense of it being a play with a cast of characters: gun victims (many of these), armed forces / veterans, the elderly, etc.

The call for a vote on gun control was by far the most emotional and resounding part of the night.

Added due to slippage: Yes, I noticed Boehner trying to refrain from frowning. I got the feeling he needed to have a bowel movement.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Oh, I did not watch the Republican response / rebuttal or any analyses.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Politics