Election

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Election

Postby jcjm » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:54 am

Can't believe with all the hoopla in politics, no political posts.

Did you all die?
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Election

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:44 pm

We didn't die. We're just suffering from whiplash from the twists and turns of the media coverage. I'm scheduled to see my chiropractor after November 8th. Plus, I plan to lie in bed with an ice pack and not watch the news for a month.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:37 am

It's such a mess that there's no incentive to opine over it IMO.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:38 am

It is a mess.

Both major candidates for President have such high negative ratings that many people aren't voting for someone but against someone, or writing in a third person in protest. If they vote at all.

I'm not sure who said it first, but whoever said it was right. "With the millions of people in this country , these are the 2 best we could come up with?"
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:32 am

I would like to interject something positive here, which has been overlooked because of all the chaos this past year.

This is the first time IN THE HISTORY OF THIS COUNTRY that we have the potential to have a woman in the White House, not as First Lady, but as the President of the United States of America and Commander-in-Chief of our military.

This is a hugely significant moment in not only "History" but in "Herstory". "His Story" has been told for over 200 years. We are way overdue to hear "Her Story" I, for one, have celebrated the nomination, filling out my ballot, mailing it in, and watching the development of this in the media for over a year now. I look forward to watching the results of the election on Tuesday, November 8, 2016.

It will be a herstoric moment. And...I will hoot and holler, jump up and down, and shout "Hooray" if she wins.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:15 pm

There is such anger and deviousness, that I think the Political thread would get very nasty, very quickly.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:33 pm

Tituba wrote:There is such anger and deviousness, that I think the Political thread would get very nasty, very quickly.

Did you read my post? It's very positive and upbeat. Plus, I made a joke earlier about whiplash and going to bed with an ice pack for a month. Kidding around about the election stress.

I don't think there is any reason for us to only post negatives. There are so many positives about our country. I've lived in a country run by dictators. No free speech. No voting. Only military control.

We have so many rights here. We're all blessed despite the many negatives about our politics.

Hillary Clinton's slogan is "We are stronger together". That seems like a pretty positive concept to me.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:59 pm

I'm glad to see a woman running. Its way beyond its time. England had Margaret Thatcher back when Reagan was President but is Hillary a Margaret Thatcher quality politician?

Its good to see the first Black or Woman President, when they are the best qualified for the job. Not just because they are a minority. Having a minority just because they are a minority, dilutes the event and could prevent future minorities from attaining the office if the person underperforms. The good ole boys love to see an outsider fail and then use it to prevent other outsiders from winning in the future.

Both Presidential candidates have very high disapproval ratings. I don't trust either of them and think whoever wins will be a 1 term President, if they finish out the term. Hillary would be plagued by emails the entire term and Trump would have tapes of his past plaguing him the entire term mixed with new stuff he generates with his big mouth.

Even though a lot of Reps don't like Trump, I just can't see there being great agreement in Congress no matter who wins.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:30 pm

Tituba,

I think you're right. This will probably turn into a negative thread.

I'll move onto the threads where we are supporting each other and moving towards achieving our dreams.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:14 pm

I thought I'd stay away from this thread.

The only thing I'd like to point out is that I hope the folks who were disappointed in the primary results will write in their losing choice for this general election.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:46 pm

OMG, just like old times!

I'm not saying much, other then I've been getting my political and economics information from alternative news sources on the internet. I've been reading and watching videos for months and months.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:07 am

For those looking for positives, Tammy Duckworth the Democratic Senate candidate from Illinois was one of the few if not only democrats to take a senate seat away from an incumbent republican.

Senator Duckworth is a veteran who was seriously injured while serving in Iraq, but you wouldn't have known it by her ads. I saw her ad 3 times before I realized she lost her legs serving in Iraq. She is truly an inspiration. Check out her ads if you need a lift.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks, jc. I know who she is and I've admired her. I'm glad to know she won.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:33 am

I didn't know who Tammy Duckworth was until I saw one of her ads running on TV. I couldn't find her most recent one on clips but I'm sure its on her website.

Truly an inspiration, reminds me of the old days when you would see Senator Inowae (sure spelling is wrong) from Hawaii on the Iran Contra hearings. Saw him for quite a while before I found out he was severely injured in WWII.

Good to see people who have served and paid dearly, representing the people.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:50 am

Why things went the way they did?

Not sure but many talking heads have ignored the obvious trying to blame race, sex, age. Here are some obvious things they ignore.

1) Its hard to win if your party has been in power for 2 terms.
It has only happened twice in the last 60 years. (80,84,88 Reagan, Reagan and Bush)

2) Economy usually trumps all else.
The one time a candidate did get elected for a parties third term was when the economy was good. When the economy turned, they dumped him. (Bush 88 and 92 ..."its the economy stupid")

So despite all the hoopla over the age, sex, political leanings, etc. Hillary came into this an underdog with an uphill fight and history against her.

Apparently slow growth in the economy was seen the same as no growth, but most talking heads and politicians never listened enough to the people to know that.

If they had, things could have been enough different, to change the result. Of course with such a close race, there are lots of things that could have turned the decision.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Politics