Election

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Election

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:14 pm

Yes I agree that the sluggish economy had much to do with the results.

I think also that the Clinton campaign assumed Trump would alienate all minorities. Yet 29% of Hispanic voters (for example) voted for Trump (according to an NPR news report).

I was opposed to Trump but only by a slim margin compared to Clinton. Connecticut voted for Clinton, as I knew they would, so I was free to vote for my favorite rather than against the least favorite. I wrote in for Bernie Sanders.

I wish I had liked Clinton, but it was the business with the e-mail server that really turned me off. No one with a security clearance should be mishandling classified e-mail the way she did. The thing that really bothered me was why she did it. Again I heard this on NPR. She was unwilling to carry two blackberries, one approved for state department use; the other for personal use. And the blackberry that she preferred was an older model that was outdated. Also, she could not and would not use a desktop or laptop computer. She didn't know how. So the server was set up to deal with all of that. The report went on to describe how outdated the state department's IT infrastructure was when Colin Powel took over as Secretary of State. In fact no one used personal computers. He made a massive technology investment to put computers on people's desks.

I wish I could find that podcast. The amount of incompetence that it revealed is astonishing.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:23 am

I couldn't find the podcast of the expert who described the reasons behind Clinton's private email server. But this npr news story is related. It describes an exchange b/t Powell and Clinton soon after she became Secretary of State.
http://www.npr.org/2016/09/08/493133413 ... -new-email

But there is so much more that troubled me about her staff's handling of the data and their level of competence.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:06 pm

Not all Women, African Americans and Hispanics voted for Hillary, which was not expected.

It seems to me that it was the coast vs. the center of the country. People in the center just didn't see the growth that people on the coasts did and voted by region rather than race, color or gender.

I think its ironic that the people who were calling for a peaceful transition when Hillary was ahead are now the ones protesting.

I kind of got the server thing from the beginning and could see why she wanted to be off the grid so to speak. She got flack for 20 years and probably thought this would give her more privacy. Unfortunately it made her more vulnerable.

Both candidates had major flaws, I just wish the vote had been more along the lines of policy not who is worse in the flaws department.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:18 pm

Okay, here's the link to the podcast:
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio- ... name?act=1

The segment I'm referring to is 19 minutes long.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:25 pm

I know this is supposed to be political discussion, but I'm so devastated by the election results, I'm looking for something to boost my spirits. I thought these quotes might help others rise up from depression and move forward. Check out the Mahatma Gandhi thread under Quotes.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:57 am

Here's a link to the politico article, authored by the interviewee in the podcast:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... fbi-214307
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:08 am

I know that a lot of people are very upset by the outcome of the election. I myself actually cried when I first heard Steve Insky say "President-elect Donald Trump" on NPR.

But know that most of the people who voted for Trump are not racist, bigots, misogynists. They are just like you and me. Right now, I'm concerned about those whose protests have turned into riots. I'm committing to overcoming any hate in our world with an equal measure of love and kindness.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:21 pm

If you wish the electors from the Electoral College to vote against their states and vote for Hillary Clinton, you can sign a petition here:

https://www.change.org/
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:48 pm

That would certainly be appropriate action. Protesting and expecting Donald Trump to say, "Ok folks, I'll let Hilary take charge," isn't realistic.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:07 pm

SquarePeg wrote: Protesting and expecting Donald Trump to say, "Ok folks, I'll let Hilary take charge," isn't realistic.

We need to take a serious look at how involved we are in the political process and ask ourselves what positive actions can we take, how can we get more involved than we have been in the past. We need to PUSH ourselves to get involved. It's so important.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:53 pm

kakistocracy
PRONUNCIATION:
(kak-i-STOK-ruh-see, kah-ki-)
MEANING:
noun: Government by the least qualified or worst persons.
ETYMOLOGY:
From Greek kakistos (worst), superlative of kakos (bad) + -cracy (rule). Ultimately from the Indo-European root kakka-/kaka- (to defecate), which also gave us poppycock, cacophony, cacology, and cacography. Earliest documented use: 1829.
USAGE:
“We must weigh our votes carefully. Else we are in danger of turning America’s time-tested democracy into a kakistocracy.”
Dan Warner; The Best Man for the Job Is Not as Easy as it Sounds; The News Press (Fort Myers, Florida); Jan 17, 2016.

I especially like... "from the Indo-European root kakka-/kaka- (to defecate)" :lol:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:54 pm

Yes, and the term is more subtle than poopocristacy.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:18 pm

I really hate having to address Trump as...President Trump. How awful. I guess I could use P. (Pee) Trump, the poopocrat. I generally loathe bathroom humor, but in the case of P.Trump, I'm making an exception.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:09 pm

Okay, I read it. Got it. I'll not mention the subject in public.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:14 pm

So many people are feeling so much fear of Donald Trump.

I just learned this word:

coulrophobia: an abnormal fear of clowns. :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Politics