Trump administration

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Trump administration

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:59 am

I think Hilary was over confident at the end of her run for office starting with the last debate. In her response to the topic of Supreme Court nomination, she went too far to the left when she went into her pro-choice statement. It wasn't enough to say that her candidate would not overturn Roe v Wade. She had to declare a pro-feminist argument that she would fight for women's right to choose. I think that was the defining moment of her loss.

Slavery was mentioned. It is the elite who use a one-two punch of "advertainment" (advertising disguised in entertainment) and easy credit to enslave the populace. They brainwash folks into wanting something ridiculously expensive and unnecessary. (ST alluded to this with his remark about millennials and their cell phones. Really, $600+ for a device that soon you'll likely lose or damage or that will become obsolete? And that's just the device -- the service to make it work well is at least another $500/yr). And they lobbied (in 2008) for an overhaul to the bankruptcy law to make it more difficult for us to renegotiate debt, foreshadowing the Great Recession. They saw it coming, and they wanted Congress on their side. What a bonus to have Congress then bail them out, too!

After the election some have said, "Not my President." They should've been saying ten years earlier, "Not my Government."
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:12 am

Oh, I forgot to mention that the millennials may be the ones to usurp the traditional capitalist model of going into debt and working hard to pay it off.

With sites like workaway.info, members can exchange volunteer work for room and board. It's vital that Internet access remain affordable to the masses and unregulated. It may be our last hope.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:26 pm

SquarePeg wrote:ST alluded to this with his remark about millennials and their cell phones.

That was jcjm, but that's ok.

I've heard it mentioned that a cell phone is basically just a shiny, pretty little package of about 4 parts that the government developed.

In Ha-Joon Chang's book 23 Things they don't Tell you about Capitalism, he said that the washing machine has changed the world more than the internet.
His point being, we think of more recent changes as the more revolutionary. Even wired telegraphy was more revolutionary at the time. And the washing machine allowed millions of women to enter the labor force, because a lot of time was saved washing clothes.

Hillary should have easily beat Trump. Her downfall was (as far as feminism), was she was all for breaking the glass ceiling for women of opportunity. There was a video somewhere where a black man was arguing to a white woman at a rally (I assume a Clinton one), and she yelled at him, "We need to break the glass ceiling!", The man yelled back (I think with his little daughter by his side), "Glass ceiling!? I'm trying to put food on the fricking table!"
With her full support of her husband's crime bill and welfare reform, millions more became poor and imprisoned over the years. There are women and children in that group too! But, they were part of the deplorables, as she said.

Clinton thought everyone was better off in the last 8 years, "Aren't you better off than 8 years ago?", she quoted. That was the death of her election, NO, people are NOT better off, and Trump said they would be, liar that he is. They bought it and voted for him.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:11 am

I think the defining moment of her loss was calling people deplorables. She was seen as an elitist. There was a way to point out who was supporting T without calling names. People were already on the fence with not liking her as a person. Saying this, tipped the scale. She also handled the whole email server thing very badly.

Supporters would rather not acknowledge all the damage and corruption. Instead, they just say "you are sore losers." They keep beating that drum because it is easier than admitting they made a BIG mistake in letting this monster have power. This regime is programming them to discount the press and paint everything that is revealed as "fake". Even when you show a video of him saying something, they put their fingers in their ears and say "He was kidding". Only believe what we tell you like good little sheep. I'll give him this, he is a master of distraction. The investigations on his corruption are getting close and he is trying to distract the public with a shiny object (outrageous tweets). This way, he gets the gullible talking about what he said and not looking at the mounting evidence. Unfortunately, this tactic works on his base.

It is sad that this country has become so divided. It isn't about losing an election. It is about not accepting the cruel, bigots and corruption. People who do accept this behavior and chant "Make America Great" have lost their moral compass.

Can you even imagine if Obama had released a video of him punching someone? Yeah, right. Well, at least Bush is no longer our worst president.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:39 am

Supporters would rather not acknowledge all the damage and corruption. Instead, they just say "you are sore losers." They keep beating that drum because it is easier than admitting they made a BIG mistake in letting this monster have power.

That may be a few of those who voted for him. but he is still holding about 38%. For that 38% I don't think they think it was a mistake.

Most of those who voted for him, still like what he is doing. The Supreme court, China, Russia, Korea, the Stock Market, Healthcare, the Paris agreement, etc.. They love this stuff and they would vote for him again because of it. The Paris accord may upset the majority of the country, but the 38% love his take. That's why they voted for him.

As far as the corruption I would have to say there is a lot of smoke for there to be no fire. On the other hand there was much reported about Bengazi and nothing there that was a crime. So, it may be wishful thinking more than actual hard evidence here as well. I'm just sorry the taxpayer pays for all these vengeful inquiries on both sides. If anything comes of it, it will probably be from the cover up not the incident, like Bill Clinton and Richard Nixon.

I always thought Richard Nixon was a Crook, but it turns out he wasn't bad for the reasons I thought, but for other reasons I had no idea of. This may be the same case. Maybe he wasn't in with the Russians, but his ego may get him into trouble for not telling the whole truth.

My biggest complaint is the tweets. It may be the new normal, but I don't need to see him berating Mika and Joe. Use it to get the word out about real issues, not gossip.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm just sorry the taxpayer pays for all these vengeful inquiries on both sides.

We've paid for the monthly attempts to repel Obamacare for eight years. Now we paid $1 MILLION a day, A DAY, because his wife didn't want to live with him. His weekly vacations to play golf at an unsecure resort HE OWNS, is beyond the pale. He claims he doesn't know Putin, yet three years ago his own son Eric said to Vanity Fair

“We don’t rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia.”

He tweets because he lacks the maturity and self control to do this job. How I long for a President that is a grown up (even if it is a Republican). Someone who isn't unraveling and getting his facts from TV versus the agencies that try to protect us. Someone with a thick skin and doesn't feel the need to attack critics. I don't know what his history is, but clearly he doesn't like women.

The 38% or so that still support him are sad examples of what can happen when a population is programmed with hate and bigotry.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:25 am

I can say this here, which I can't say on Facebook with family on there and all, but I have a female cousin who worked in the State Department and had been in the military, and she said (in person at a family reunion) that people there were NOT HAPPY with what Clinton did regarding Benghazi. Although, she went on to say that it was the people under Clinton, but of course the buck stopped with her. She said there's a lot she couldn't say, so there's probably a lot of details most Americans don't even know.

Our whole presidential election process is a farce anyhow, at least regarding the average American. You realistically only have a choice of 2 candidates who may or may not have good rhetoric, who really don't do much for the average American. Obama talked a good game (and I voted for him twice), but he bailed out the banks (listening to Tim Geithner, that it would ruin the American economy if he didn't). From the economists I listen to, he could have bailed out the homeowners, and it would have taken longer, but the banks would have eventually been OK, maybe with some fallouts and closures of some banks. Instead, all that money went to bankers salaries and bonuses and more stock buybacks and investing into the financial sector.

Obamacare was basically a Republican plan instituted nationally. We really should just have Healthcare for all as a right and with a little more taken out of our taxes. It would be the most efficient and the least costly of all the options being considered, no matter what you heard about government bureaucracy. The main reason they don't is because of wiping out the entire profit-seaking insurance sector, and the highly paid executives running them and their bonuses. Their selling point is that Americans would have more choice (what a laugh) and letting the market determine the costs. Like that's working so well now with skyrocketing healthcare costs, something Obamacare does not address, either.

It's always been like this to some degree in every civilization, but the 1% or the .1% or even the .01% are really running the show here. Since profits are the motive, they are ever more cutting costs, getting people more and more into debt making financial rent from them in the form of interest, fees and penalties, and creating ever more complicated financial instruments to line their pockets with profits before the Ponzi scheme collapses.

I was just seeing that Apple as $250 Billion dollars in cash reserves, more than the UK and Canada combined. They are more powerful cash-wise than some developed countries.
Amazon is trying to buy Whole Foods and the plan is to eliminate cashiers, resulting in huge losses of (admittedly mediocre) jobs.

All the drama in the news is just a distraction, so the oligarchs can continue syphoning money to the top, without us noticing.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tui » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:21 am

Is there any movement anywhere to reform and update the electoral systems and processes?

As a baffled outsider it seems that the 'checks and balances' have ceased to work in favour of the population at large.

Our own system is definitely wobbly and in need of revision to reflect realities in the population makeup and the state of the economy. Still supporting the affluent ahead of the bulk of the workforce.

I don't like Trump. However, I'm most interested in seeing how well things run, over time, because he hasn't filled so many administration positions. All those missing plump little hands wanting pay and feeling they have to look busy, 'make their mark' to justify their appointment. All that padding waiting to be disestablished. All those baubles of office waiting to be distributed and dangled.

Belgium managed for 540+ days without a parliament. How long can you go without elected officials in so-called key positions?
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:27 am

How long can you go without elected officials in so-called key positions?

Well.....we are going without a President at the present time. What we've got is a corrupt, emotionally damaged, 4 yr old having regular tantrums, looking for payback and getting his guidance from TV.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:56 am

As a baffled outsider it seems that the 'checks and balances' have ceased to work in favour of the population at large.

Just because people are complaining doesn't mean checks and balances aren't working.

Remember, in this system it is quite common for half of the people to be upset with the results after an election. Depending on what the elected does, it will either go higher or go lower until the next election. So, sometimes people think it is a mistake and vote someone else in the next time and other times they keep the person in.

Our forefathers knew a lot more than some people think. We can change the House in another year and a half along with 1/3 of the Senators. Just because a Presidents term is 4 years doesn't mean things stand still for 4 years. And of course there's the Supreme Court, Justice dept. FBI, which can affect what happens. From Trump, we are learning what little power is in the hands of the President. Other than putting up a Supreme Court Justice, little has actually changed since Trump took office.

If the Dems prevail in 2018 less will happen and if the Reps prevail we will have the same for 2 more years.

Nevertheless things are always changing even between elections. It just may not be a fast enough change for those not in power, but it is a change.

In the long term I don't think Trump can do that much damage because, defense pretty much lies in the hands of the Generals, all the President does is say yes or no and to say no and be wrong too many times would cause an implosion of the Presidency no matter who it is.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:07 am

Well.....we are going without a President at the present time. What we've got is a corrupt, emotionally damaged, 4 yr old having regular tantrums, looking for payback and getting his guidance from TV.

we are going without a President at the present time
-----NO, he is the President

what we've got is a corrupt
-----I don't think so, but who really knows

emotionally damaged
------YES, most likely

4 yr old
-----NO, 72 last I heard

having regular tantrums
------YES, it would appear that way

looking for payback
------YES, he does seem to believe in vengeance but whether that is good or bad is a personal opinion

getting his guidance from TV
-----NO, he comes up with this crap on his own
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:16 am

Obamacare was basically a Republican plan instituted nationally. We really should just have Healthcare for all as a right and with a little more taken out of our taxes. It would be the most efficient and the least costly of all the options being considered, no matter what you heard about government bureaucracy. The main reason they don't is because of wiping out the entire profit-seaking insurance sector, and the highly paid executives running them and their bonuses. Their selling point is that Americans would have more choice (what a laugh) and letting the market determine the costs. Like that's working so well now with skyrocketing healthcare costs, something Obamacare does not address, either.

Obamacare was basically a Republican plan instituted nationally
-----If you mean they took Romnicare and ran with it, then YES

We really should just have Healthcare for all as a right and with a little more taken out of our taxes
-----I don't think I would call it a right, but to do something with it like they did with Social Security would be fine with me

It would be the most efficient and the least costly of all the options being considered
-----I don't know for sure but it sure seems like it

The main reason they don't is because of wiping out the entire profit-seeking insurance sector, and the highly paid executives running them and their bonuses
-----Right on the money entirely

Their selling point is that Americans would have more choice
-----This is probably true

and letting the market determine the costs
-----BS to me, just words to try and dupe us. I've never seen prices go down when it comes to insurance.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Healthcare as a Right...

We could devote an entire topic to this.

One of the biggest responsibilities of government is the defense of its citizens. It maintains a military to ward off invaders. It secures the borders to keep out both dangerous individuals as well as tainted food. National security encompasses water supply, agriculture, energy resources. It tracks insect-bearing threats to health and crops.

Now that we're in the Information Age, security includes Cyber Security. Some military experts think that Global Warming is a threat. Naval bases in particular are threatened.

What does this have to do with Healthcare? The next frontier is biological. Vaccines have been mandated for a half century. Recently, New York City has passed bills that are based on medical science's opinion about what are the greatest threats to health. So transfats are banned and there are limits to the size of single-servings of soda (no more 32oz paper cups of cola, for example).

At some point, the trend suggests that government will consider health as a matter of national security. Solders cannot be recruited from a populace that's unhealthy. More of us have autism. You can get paralyzed by a tick bite. A typical school lunch diet can make you obese.

Eventually we'll realize that, Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness are built on a foundation of good health.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Before pulling out of Climate Agreement, he called Kimberly Guilfoyle of FoxNews and asked for advice. No, not "fake news"

Trump told Chuck Todd on Meet the Press that he gets military advice from TV pundits.

I understand he has the job President. He just isn't a real President.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:07 pm

As a society and a country we could decide healthcare is a right for all of us. Then, we would just have to figure out how to pay for it. And instead of just figuring out how to pay the monopoly that is our medical industrial complex, we could try and figure out how to drastically lower costs, and then how to pay for it, which would be a much easier task. The problem never really was how to pay for a medical system, but how to control skyrocketing medical costs. We're far and above Europe, Canada and Japan as to how much we spend as a percent of GDP for health care, and it's not even the best (or the worst) in the world.

I'm done with Trump and don't even want to think about his idiocy if at all possible. He's just a figurehead anyhow, working for the oligarchs and those most loyal to him. I just hope he doesn't hit the launch codes in a temper tantrum.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Politics