the grey screen

Something you love about this web site? Say it here. Something you hate... well, i guess you can say that here too :)

Moderators: alexg, BarbaraSher, Tituba

the grey screen

Postby tui » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:20 am

I am really frustrated by this new format. It takes between 2-5 MINUTES to shift between topics, forums, whatever. For all that time I'm left with a grey screen and a lethargic meter at the bottom of the screen telling me there's still ether-life. My computer is set to 'no pictures' - so that's not the problem. I would really value a large increase in speed - up to 'the olden days' - otherwise my treasured visits will have to be when I have heaps of leisure to wait out the grey spells.
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:32 am

Hi, Tui, I know nothing about computers, but I don't have your problem. A while back I was talking on the phone to a friend and looked up something on the 'net for her. She was thoroughly amazed at the speed with which I found the site. Don't know what makes the difference but I hope you soon find it. All my best, Mahara
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:20 pm

when i click a link on this board, i generally get the page up within a few seconds. It never takes more then a minute ... if it does, something is wrong. if its always taking minutes for pages to come up for you, then there are 2 likely causes. 1. there is a network problem between you and the server this board is hosted on. There are some simple tests you can run to determine that (which i'll explain in a minute) 2. there is a problem with your pc. Do other websites also load as slowly? if so, then could be a problem with your computer, or your ISP has a bad network connection and everything is going slow. Are you on dialup or broadband? You can check to see if there's a network problem (I am assuming this is a PC running windows 2000 or xp and not a mac). Click on start, run and type cmd and hit return. Now type ping http://www.barbarasher.com After a few seconds you should get some text that looks like this:
Code: Select all
Ping statistics for 65.125.229.218:     Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:     Minimum = 82ms, Maximum = 84ms, Average = 83ms
The main thing you want to look at is the very last line. The average speed should be anywhere between 10ms or 250ms (the number will be at the higher end if you are on dialup). What that stands for is how many milliseconds it takes for something to get from your computer to the server the board is on. A lower number means things go faster. If the number is high, you can try a 2nd command. In the same window, type: tracert http://www.barbarasher.com That will do basically the same thing as the ping command, except in this case it will show you every single stop along the internet that your computer takes to get from your pc to this server. It will report the times in milliseconds again. And you should be able to see where the slow down is. You can then send that report to your ISP and if you are lucky they can fix it. If the ping and tracert commands look ok, then the problem could be on your PC. Also, if you are using a mac, you can still use these commands from a terminal window, except instead of tracert, its traceroute. Hope that helps.
My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Website Comments