Keep religion OUT OF IT!

Something you love about this web site? Say it here. Something you hate... well, i guess you can say that here too :)

Moderators: alexg, BarbaraSher, Tituba

Keep religion OUT OF IT!

Postby Lost1 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:57 pm

I thank the people who've responded to my posts. I would appreciate anyone who wishes to respond to please respect my request to keep religion out of your posts. I am anti-religion (the Christian Religious Right, Bible thumping, \"God loves you\" kind) and don't welcome lectures on the topic from fanatics. Thanks.
Motivated, but running out of steam (& inspiration). :?
Lost1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:20 am

Hi Lost1, Perhaps it would help if you mentioned this at the start of your posts as not everyone looks at all the forums. I think that each of us that posts here can expect answers that are not to our liking. Why get hot and bothered about them? Why not just appreciate that someone cared enough to read my post and reply (even if it wasn't to my taste). Take care.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby katchal » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:24 am

It is easy to forget that when board members respond to a request for help or advice, they are giving of the most precious, finite resource we humans have - time. A board member who stops to consider your request and composes a reply can never, ever get those minutes back. No one expects info requesters to agree with - or implement - all of the suggestions or comments they get, but it is really offputting to see them solicit advice then turn around and castigate the very people who sincerely tried to help. If you want members to continue offering you assistance, you might consider simply thanking them and moving to the next topic - even if it's for purely machievelian reasons and not from actual gratitude.
katchal
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Yes, thanks!

Postby Lost1 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:48 am

I DO appreciate the people who've taken their time to respond to my posts, and have thanked them over & over. I'm well aware that the time they took to respond is precious, and I'm most impressed with their generosity in wanting to share their ideas, referrals and feelings with me. This is a great board! :) I'm talking about when a responder keeps emailing again & again to give me religious lectures. I didn't solicit that and don't welcome it. As far as I'm concerned, it's a waste of MY time, and an offensive intrusion. :x (And, yes, I have reported it to Barbara, but it hasn't stopped)
Lost1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:22 pm

That does sound unsettling. I wonder if that person would stop if you named them publically and asked them to stop.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:03 pm

Every time you see an e-mail from them, just delete it without even opening it (same with a Private Message). Is there a way you can "spam block" them (e-mail)? So, even if they start using another e-mail, you can just keep blocking their addresses. For PM, you could just keep deleting their PMs. If they start registering with multiple user names, report that to Barbara, She/Merk can track it by the e-mail(s) they registered with.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

In reply

Postby Lost1 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:18 pm

Thanks for the note, guys -- I did ask her to stop. She didn't. I have stopped opening her PM's. I reported it to Barbara and asked if there's a way to block messages from that address. I've had no response.
Lost1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:13 pm

PM Merk and he'll take action. Barbara is out of the country
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:47 pm

let me know who it is, and i'll ask them to stop and take further action if needed.
My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yes, thanks!

Postby redline » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:04 pm

Lost1 wrote:I'm talking about when a responder keeps emailing again & again to give me religious lectures. I didn't solicit that and don't welcome it. As far as I'm concerned, it's a waste of MY time, and an offensive intrusion. :x
Just ignore it, what could be easier? When you enter a public forum (any public forum) you really give up control over what you can get in response, so it is best to be understanding, prepared, tolerant, and, finally -- philosophical ;). A few spurious emails won't do you any harm, and if you don't respond people usually quit after a while. Thank everyone who replied and then simply ignore whatever doesn't work for you. This is not a specifically atheistic site: anyone is welcome and no known formal rules are violated in that case. We can only control ourselves, not other people. But we can chose how to react to everything.... No need for hard feelings, really :).
redline
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Website Comments