List of tweaks for new board

Something you love about this web site? Say it here. Something you hate... well, i guess you can say that here too :)

Moderators: alexg, BarbaraSher, Tituba

List of tweaks for new board

Postby merk » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:56 am

I'm going to keep a list here of things that could be tweaked on the new board. This is mainly a list of things that are now missing that were on the previous version of the board. We'll hold off on discussing completely new things until later :) 1. Spell check button (for now if you use firefox it will spell check for you anyhow) 2. Links should open in a new window 3. print view should give option to show ALL replies in a single page
My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: List of tweaks for new board

Postby yonuh » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:53 pm

I can't find the 'posts since last visit' - is this the same as the 'new posts'?
yonuh
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby merk » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:59 pm

yonuh wrote:I can't find the 'posts since last visit' - is this the same as the 'new posts'?
yes
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:54 am

Merk, what's the icon that means "No new posts" (regular, not popular or locked), that has a black dot on the upper left? For example the post "Well Done, Merk" has it when browsing the Website Comments forum.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:27 pm

Scenario Thinker wrote:Merk, what's the icon that means "No new posts" (regular, not popular or locked), that has a black dot on the upper left? For example the post "Well Done, Merk" has it when browsing the Website Comments forum.
those icons will be different depending on what style you have selected. Generally speaking, a colored icon means its unread, and an icon with a dot or star in it means you have posted in it. although it looks like that's only working for posts you've posted in within the last few months. These are the icons if you have the prosilver style. If you have the subsilver2 style, there's an icon legend at the bottom of the page when you go into a forum. Image - Announcement Image - Sticky topic Image - Read topic Image - Unread topic Image - Read topic that you have posted in Image - Unread topic that you have posted in Image - Hot topic Image - Locked topic Image - Moved topic Image - Forum with subforums (which have been read) Image - Forum with subforums (which are unread) Image - Link forum Image - Attachment Image - Go to last post in the topic Image - Go to last unread post in the topic Image - Subforum read Image - Subforum unread
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:49 pm

merk wrote: Image - Read topic that you have posted in Image - Unread topic that you have posted in Image - Read topic that you have posted in Image - Unread topic that you have posted in
OK, thanks. It means it's a topic you've posted in (I set it to subsilver2).
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:18 am

The print function you had built in before would be nice. I used to use it to search within a (long) thread without having to go "next, find ... next, find ... next, find ... etc.". I would "print" from post 1 though 9999 and then do a find within the result.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:04 pm

Scenario Thinker wrote:The print function you had built in before would be nice. I used to use it to search within a (long) thread without having to go "next, find ... next, find ... next, find ... etc.". I would "print" from post 1 though 9999 and then do a find within the result.
upper right corner, look for the printer icon.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:50 pm

merk wrote:
Scenario Thinker wrote:The print function you had built in before would be nice. I used to use it to search within a (long) thread without having to go "next, find ... next, find ... next, find ... etc.". I would "print" from post 1 though 9999 and then do a find within the result.
Thanks, I found it. There's no way to get all pages in one print view, though.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:56 pm

oh, right. I see. I'll add that to the list. On the plus side the search function should work well now and take you to the specific reply that had whatever words you were searching for.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:45 am

Scenario Thinker wrote:
merk wrote:
Thanks, I found it. There's no way to get all pages in one print view, though.
I think the "Search this Topic" will fulfill this functionality. I tried it with a thread with three pages and it worked.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:39 am

Could you make the words "board index" larger and in bold font? Old eyes (mine) tend to miss it. Also, I don't understand the "offline" icon in a thread. I posted in a thread and it still said I was "offline." What is the difference between subscribing and bookmarking?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:01 am

Tituba wrote:Could you make the words "board index" larger and in bold font? Old eyes (mine) tend to miss it. Also, I don't understand the "offline" icon in a thread. I posted in a thread and it still said I was "offline." What is the difference between subscribing and bookmarking?
board index is already in bold. What theme are you using? as for the offline thing... did you try refreshing the page? or do you have it set in your profile to hide your online status? subscribing means you get an email on an update, bookmarking is just a list and you dont get any notifications.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tituba » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:07 am

Ok, but maybe make "board index" larger and maybe in red? Using subsilver2
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:28 am

you might want to try out the prosilver theme - that includes a little button in the upper right corner that lets you change the font size of the board between 3 different sizes.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Website Comments