problem with viewing the bulletin board posts

Something you love about this web site? Say it here. Something you hate... well, i guess you can say that here too :)

Moderators: alexg, BarbaraSher, Tituba

problem with viewing the bulletin board posts

Postby zaxy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:35 pm

hi all- i'm having a problem with my viewing of the bb. every post with quotes- single or double- show up with a backslash integrated with the quote. for example, if this is the post: "x" what i see is \"x\" likewise, the word - don't - shows up as - don\'t - etc. you can see how this would be rather distracting and makes reading very difficult after a while. oddly enough, it only shows on everyone ELSE's posts- not on my own. i've tried logging out and reloading/logging back in. no change. is there a setting that i might have unknowingly activated/deactivated? is there a way to get them to GO AWAY? :) any help will be MOST appreciated. if this is something that's been discussed or explained elsewhere, please forgive me. i couldn't find anything about it, and it's just driving me a little batty. :) ~z btw- i'm running firefox on vista, if that makes any difference? :) thanks!
Imagine Infinity.
zaxy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: problem with viewing the bulletin board posts

Postby skannie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:46 pm

Are you talking about recent posts or old ones? A lot of the older posts look a bit weird. I think that's because they were posted before the software was upgraded.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby zaxy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:51 pm

thanks, but can you define 'weird?' do they exhibit the backslash phenomenon that i described when you view them? if others see it as well, i won't bother to wonder if it's a setting i have set wrong.
Imagine Infinity.
zaxy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby merk » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:54 pm

The backslash problem you are seeing should only show up in older posts. there was a small problem when we upgraded the bulletin board software and it results in what you see. However, any posts made after we upgraded should show up correctly.
My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zaxy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:05 pm

thanks to you both. so it's not something i can fix or change, then. ah well! :) at least i can try to be stoic about it, now! :)
Imagine Infinity.
zaxy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:07 am

zaxy wrote:for example, if this is the post: "x" what i see is "x" likewise, the word - don't - shows up as - don't - etc.
Quotes and double quotes are used in programming and query languages to define strings of characters. So, it gets tricky when you want to literally spell out a quote or double quote and sometimes the language doesn't understand that you really wanted a quote/double quote, it thinks you're defining a string of characters. To get around that, sometimes you are required to do certain things (depending on the language): "'" or """ single or double quote surrounded by double quotes. ''' or '"' single or double quote surrounded by single quotes '' or "" just doubling of the single or double quote " using a slash to signify that a quote is coming (this is used for other special characters in the language also). So, I suspect when the board converted, it had to transfer all the quotes to " or ' so the processing would recognize them as quotes, but it also looks like they didn't get converted back to original form.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Website Comments