Tituba, I wonder what is happening...

Something you love about this web site? Say it here. Something you hate... well, i guess you can say that here too :)

Moderators: alexg, BarbaraSher, Tituba

Tituba, I wonder what is happening...

Postby MDG » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:30 pm

...When I try to view your link in your thread about an FDA warning about Zicam, Internet Explorer says they have encountered a problem, and need to close. But the 'close' button they give, doesn't. The message disappears for a moment and then repeats. The 'report' I reach is Greek to me. I just 'upgraded' to version 8, this a.m. Is there anything I should do, other than NOT click on that link you gave?
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Tituba, I wonder what is happening...

Postby mango » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:17 pm

I bet you a sandwich that she's going to tell you to take Internet Explorer 8 off your computer. I have zero computer knowledge, I just think I remember something that she said once. :D
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:43 pm

I remember, too, Mango. And, installing IE this a.m. was a lesson in double-speak. The announcement called it an 'update', and then went through manipulations and interesting wordings to make one 'agree' to a number of things...as though I had requested it. Sounded like lawyer-language, to me. It made me wonder what they were doing to my computer that they didn't want to say out in the open. This computer has been through a number of hands of 'technicians' since Tituba's suggestion...usually because of moving to new houses, and poor hook-ups...though some for maintenance. There is a lot of gobbledeegook spoken by these guys, and some downright cheat. But we grin and bear it. We just will not hire certain computer services again. I can imagine my 1984 computer instructor tearing his hair out at the lack of a standard in the industry. Sigh. I may have to go and interview him...or re-register for a class. I thought I was 'too old' at 46, now I am 71. But, he must be getting up there, too. Dh is 84, and has 'taught himself'...the 'seat of the pants' method...or, 'hunt and poke'. I think he would appreciate a class, too. I know he would like my former instuctor...who really is a fine teacher. :D I just remembered the typing teacher who gave me a 'test' when I was applying for a job in a bank, when I was 16. I had studied the book they gave me, and had practiced as much as I could, on my own. It was mainly about where to place your fingers, and where you kept your eyes...and perfectly typed pages, of course. I muddled through the test as best I could, among others more practiced. They did all but laugh out loud at my efforts. I am amused at the thought of the kids of today taking such a 'test'. :?
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:12 am

For now, I found her post about IE 8: viewtopic.php?p=216027#p216027
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:47 am

You had posted this in General and it belongs here. Follow my directions to uninstall IE 8 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22843 Reboot Go to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html and install and use Firefox and see if you have the same difficulties.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby katchal » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:00 am

A POX on IE 8!!!!! I wasted two hours at work on Friday trying to make our website's headlines display correctly in it. (We eventually gave up and slapped in a command to emulate IE7.) Grrrrrrrr!
katchal
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:18 am

IE8 also breaks Adobe 5 (full version) as well as McAfee's security ctr.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:13 pm

hmm, i dont really have any problems with IE8 - oh wait - i dont really use IE8 ;) You guys might want to give google chrome a try. It's not as compatible as firefox or IE6/7, although it still works fine almost all the time. The thing i like about it is it's very fast and if it does crash, it only crashes in the one tab you had open. So you dont lose all your tabs.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:19 am

I didn't have good luck with Chrome, but maybe I'll try again sometime. It crashed on me and I ended up having to reboot, etc. Don't know what happened, but I went back to Firefox and have been good now.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:31 am

hmm, that's weird. I've got it installed on 2-3 computers - one of which is windows 7, and never ran into any issues during the install. The only issues i've had with chrome is an occasional web page that doesn't look quite right or doesn't work quite right, and occasionally something crashes. But the crash recovery in chrome is very nice. Usually it's something like the flash player that crashes. At which point chrome locks up for 4-5 seconds and then displays a message telling me flash crashed and i can keep browsing. i can just reload the page that had the crash and it's usually ok. if you like a lot of extra's with your browser, chrome wouldn't be a good choice. But i've really gotten used to it and use it as my main browser since it's so fast and handles the occasional error so well.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Website Comments