my account

Something you love about this web site? Say it here. Something you hate... well, i guess you can say that here too :)

Moderators: alexg, BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: my account

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:23 pm

OK, try that.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:51 pm

ok ST you will have that pleasure :D
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:43 pm

I get the same message as you ... exceeded number of logins and the captcha. Then, my "scenario thinker" user id and password pops up in the login fields even after I cleared my cache and deleted board cookies.

Try doing this, send for a new password again (I can't, because it will send to your e-mail), then don't do anything with it, but send it to me in a PM again. If it doesn't work after that, I'll show Alex the screen prints I took. I'll put them here, too.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Step 1: Unity's user id and password

Step 2: my user id pops up in place, even after deleting board cookies and clearing cache
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:55 pm

I get the same thing, too. It's like it will only remember the user id you registered with. For me, it just keeps reverting back to ST, for you, since you re-registered under Unity1, it keeps reverting back to Unity1.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:06 pm

I did wonder if this might be happening because the Unity account wasn't set up like that originally, Merk changed it because for years it had been under my real name which I'd accidentally done right at the start. Although I can't see why that would be affecting things now.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:07 pm

Maybe, unless there's some quirk in the software where that affected it. I'm sending Alex an e-mail and pointing him to the screen prints.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks for experimenting ST

I wonder if it's just me or it will happen to anyone else that get logged out and can't retrieve a password.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:37 pm

I don't know. I mentioned to Alex in the e-mail about Merk changing your user id and carrying all the post history, so maybe there is a quirk in the php code somewhere, or just in the way your user id is stored compared to an original (non-changed) user id. Maybe not everything converted over, and there's still something stuck in your previous user id. Just guesses, though.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby alexg » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:04 am

Yes, I noticed the earlier id change. The login form is only filled in by your browser - none of that info comes from the server. You could use another browser, or load a different (clean) Firefox profile and probably see this working. (http://www.borngeek.com/firefox/profile-tutorial/.) Or just run Firefox on another user on your computer. You can individually delete saved form entries by highlighting the one you want to delete and pressing shift-delete.

On this end, PhpBB's session handling is obnoxious and at least part of the problem. I can reset your password from here, but then you would still need to login from the same browser, and you would most likely want to reset the password again after that. So if the browser stuff isn't cleaned up, it would just be a vicious cycle.

Let me reset it, make sure it works, and either send you the new password or have you reset it again. But make sure you logout, delete saved entries in your form data and password manager, clear the board cookies, clear your cache, close the browser, and only then try to login as your regular user.
alexg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alexg » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:19 am

OK, I was able to login fine. One thing to point out is that when you get the message "You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts." it does not mean you entered the wrong password. You just need to reenter the same username and password plus the CAPTCHA answer. ST - when you got that page it was bringing up the saved data for that form in your browser, not from the site. I think this maybe what is causing all of the confusion.

I will email the password. You are free to use that or to reset it.
alexg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:00 am

alexg wrote: ... when you got that page it was bringing up the saved data for that form in your browser, not from the site.

I did look up how to clear the browser form fields, but after I got rid of "scenario thinker", then it just came back with a blank user id and still getting the error message. But, we can see if this works with Unity.

Unity, do you know what we're saying about clearing the form field values? What you do is in the username field on the login screen, press the down arrow and you'll get a list of entries you've typed in before. You'll probably get Unity and Unity1. Then, if Unity1 isn't already highlighted, use the down arrow to highlight Unity1 and press shift-delete. This will prevent the form remembering Unity1 and it shouldn't pop up any more.

Here's exactly what they say in Mozilla help:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/For ... rm-entries

Mozilla Support wrote:Deleting individual form entries

If you want to remove one of your previous form entries from Firefox's history:

Click on the form field and press the down arrow key to display all the saved entries. You may type the first few letters of the entry to limit the number of entries displayed.
Use the down arrow key or the mouse pointer to highlight the entry you wish to delete.
Press Shift+Delete. The entry will be removed.

You may repeat the process for any number of entries for a particular form field.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:07 am

Thanks I'll give it a go. I'll report what happened.

I did try using this site via another computer, it didn't work either.

I also tried the password, user name and captcha questions many times in one go and nothing happened.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:20 am

I think I'll have to be unity1.

I put in the new password (very long) as soon as I pressed enter, it changed and a shorter one came into the box and it said 'wrong password' in the box.

I did have a panic even before this, as I couldn't get into my email account, took about 6 goes.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:31 am

I have also tried it on IE.

Firstly Alex's password wouldn't copy.

Then I managed to get it via Firefox and back to IE, this time the password and Unity did stay the same but still wouldn't go into the site.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Website Comments