QUOTE FOR THE DAY

Share anything that has inspired you from Barbara's (or anyone else's)books.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: QUOTE FOR THE DAY

Postby Tituba » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:30 am

My ability to remember the lyrics of a song from the 1960s far exceeds my ability to remember why I walked into the living room.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jason » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:20 am

"I lost twenty pounds. Unfortunately, I was in England at the time." -- Daniel Lybra
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:21 am

"My first-grade teacher said, "Okay, Mark, tell me everything you know about the letter H." I said, "That's Jesus' middle name."" -- Mark Lundhelm
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jason » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:10 am

"You can't please everybody. Like, I have a girlfriend. My girlfriend to me is the most wonderful, most remarkable person in the world. That's to me. But to my wife..." -- Jackie Mason
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:17 am

"No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means." -- Maimonides
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Curiosity

Postby Lynx » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:43 am

From 9/6 post by Jason

"Curiosity killed the cat. But for a while I was a suspect." -- Steven Wright

Upon further investigation ...

Ignorance killed the cat; Curiosity was framed! ― C. J. Cherryh
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jason » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:53 pm

“Look closely. The beautiful may be small.” -- Immanuel Kant
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jason » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:33 am

"Well I woke up to get me a cold pop and then I thought somebody was barbequing. I said oh lord Jesus it’s a fire. Then I ran out, I didn’t grab no shoes or nothin’ lord Jesus, I ran for my life. And then the smoke gagged me -- I got bronchitis. Ain’t nobody got time for that." -- Sweet Brown
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

The Space

Postby Lynx » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:21 pm

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

view on failure

Postby Lynx » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:47 pm

I think that if you want to grow in any field or improve at anything, failure is a part of the process. You can't expect to have success without some failure. When you are in the arts and you are trying to be commercially viable in some sense, you have to have a certain level of determination and braveness and possibly self-delusion to put yourself out there for scrutiny and consumption. You have to self-promote and part of that is accepting that some people will like your work and some people won't like your work and to not really get too swept up into either of those and to not see yourself as a failure if, for instance, something that you're really excited about isn't received in the way you wanted it to. I didn't go to art school so, for me, I have stumbled in some ways that I think other creators who learned those things initially might not have, but I don't necessarily regret that. I’ve committed myself to be a lifelong learner about how to be a better cartoonist and, also how to operate in the comics industry. I think, lastly that you have to strike a balance between being dissatisfied with your work and being proud of it. If you tip either way too much it's counterproductive.
—Whit Taylor, cartoonist
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jason » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:33 am

In 1976, Dr. Jonas Salk, creator of the killed-virus vaccine used in the 1950s, testified that the live-virus vaccine (used almost exclusively in the U.S. from the early 1960s to 2000) was the “principal if not sole cause” of all reported polio cases in the U.S. since 1961. -- Washington Post, September 24, 1976.
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Pick your Favorite Quote