fatal blunder

Share anything that has inspired you from Barbara's (or anyone else's)books.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

fatal blunder

Postby loverofbooks » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:15 am

"There is no more fatal blunder than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living. " Henry David Thoreau What does this mean to you?
loverofbooks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby ubu » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:08 pm

Most excellent find and thought provoker! I tend to be simplistic and quite literal, so here goes:
"There is no more fatal blunder than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living."
To me that simply means that an entire human lifetime spent in the single-minded pursuit of earning a living ... first by preparing for it, and then by doing it ... is a sad lifetime indeed.
ubu
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sgoldie » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:12 pm

To me it means that one who spends all his time and energy in the pursuit of getting a living (money) really isn't living at all. It leaves no time to reflect, to smell the roses, to establish important relationships, raise a family.
sgoldie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby loverofbooks » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:38 am

ubu wrote:Most excellent find and thought provoker! To me that simply means that an entire human lifetime spent in the single-minded pursuit of earning a living ... first by preparing for it, and then by doing it ... is a sad lifetime indeed.
I thought so too. I thought this was so perfect for this board. This is why I'm so intent (in my late forties) on not spending the next half of my life slaving away at a crappy 9-5 job (does anybody actually work 9-5 anymore?) just to pay the bills. Gotta love Henry David T.
loverofbooks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Pick your Favorite Quote