Life moves on...

Share anything that has inspired you from Barbara's (or anyone else's)books.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Life moves on...

Postby Quest » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:11 pm

Life moves on, whether we act as cowards or heroes. Life has no other discipline to impose, if we would but realize it, than to accept life unquestioningly. Everything we shut our eyes to, everything we run away from, everything we deny, denigrate or despise, serves to defeat us in the end. What seems nasty, painful, evil, can become a source of beauty, joy, and strength, if faced with an open mind. Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it as such. Henry Miller
Quest
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby winter » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:14 am

Nice quote but..."what seems evil can become a source of beauty, joy and strength" ???????
winter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Quest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:41 am

Great question. I suspect, for some, the 'evil' incident and all the aftermath entails, leads to something 'good' that would not have existed had the process not been engaged. Perhaps the 'good' isn't apparent immediately, perhaps not even in one generation's time, but nevertheless, at some time. I also wonder if the emphasis is on the word 'can' vs. using the word 'will'. Further, I don't think Miller is suggesting that evil is good or should be considered as such, even if it leads to 'good' things.
Quest
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby winter » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:10 am

Miller must have been a queer man to have written this quote. Not worth wasting time thinking what he meant.
winter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Quest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:49 am

winter wrote:Nice quote but..."what seems evil can become a source of beauty, joy and strength" ???????
winter wrote:Miller must have been a queer man to have written this quote. Not worth wasting time thinking what he meant.
You asked the question in the first place and I tried to respond. I agree, time has been wasted.
Quest
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Life moves on...

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:10 am

Quest wrote:What seems nasty, painful, evil, can become a source of beauty, joy, and strength, if faced with an open mind.
Things can look nasty, painful and evil if viewed from a closed mind.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:36 pm

This is a deep and meaningful quote by a deep thinker. One only has to think of the writing of Anne Frank or Victor Frankl to know what the author had in mind. PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby winter » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:09 pm

Since "evil" brings to my mind "Hitler", I can't understand how it can become a source of beauty. Please tell me what Miller meant, as you compare his writing to Anne Frank, Victor Frankl.
winter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Heather Duggan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:25 pm

*seems* is the key
Registered Success Team Leader Portland, OR
Heather Duggan
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Quest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:08 pm

Heather Duggan wrote:*seems* is the key
As are the words "can become a source of"... The evil is done...there is now a choice as to what needs recognition and transformation.
Quest
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:48 pm

Quest wrote:The evil is done...there is now a choice as to what needs recognition and transformation.
That's assuming everyone's evil is the same.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Quest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:05 pm

Not sure I'm following you, Scenario, but it's been a long day and I'm not trusting my ability to see beyond a good cup of coffee right now. I do know when I wrote the above, I assumed that evil is determined by the individual - but when that particular evil (as defined by the person) is done, it's how it's responded to over time that makes the difference (i.e., recognition, transformation, whatever...or maybe nothing at all).
Quest
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:31 pm

Quest wrote: ... I assumed that evil is determined by the individual ...
I guess that's what I'm saying. Also, there could be a change in perception, new information, enlightenment, so what looked bad could actually look good now. But yes, if it is determined to be evil by the parties involved, then they can learn, transform, etc., and that can become the source of beauty, joy, strength ...
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby winter » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Hitler who was evil became the source of beauty, joy and strength for many people. I'm still waiting for Parlalegalgirl's explanation.
winter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:20 am

Winter - I'm not a genius as were these authors so I believe it would be difficult for me to explain their philosophies. I would highly recommend Victor Frankl's, "Man's Search For Meaning". It's a short, easy to read book, an international classic, written by someone who was imprisoned in a concentration camp. His book and philosophy doesn't so much address finding something positive about an "evil" person like Hitler but it addresses how to find meaning in suffering. Perhaps the reason why so many people the world over have been touched by his writing is because suffering as a result of "evil" is so rampant and a challenge to humanity. Perhaps the misunderstanding here is that you're assuming that Henry Miller was saying that evil was good. I doubt that he meant that evil was good. Most authors and world class philosophers and writers have tried to find meaning in the consequences that "evil" actions wrought in the world. Here's a good example based on an article I read in the "The New York Times" yesterday. When asked how they reacted to Hamas getting elected in the Palestinian territories, 48% of Israelis polled saw it as a good thing. How can that be? Hamas has generally been responsible for all the suicide bombings that have occurred in Israel. PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Pick your Favorite Quote