just something dopey

Share anything that has inspired you from Barbara's (or anyone else's)books.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

just something dopey

Postby JeannetteLS » Fri May 08, 2009 12:06 pm

From a friend of mine. "Don't count your chickens with a hatchet." I don't know--it just makes me giggle every time. Perhaps I am simply sick.
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: just something dopey

Postby Mannix » Mon May 11, 2009 7:05 pm

I guess if you have a hatchet, you only have to count as many chickens as you want? :? :) Here's a line that's really awful but used to crack up my Dad: "'I see,' said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw!"
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JeannetteLS » Tue May 12, 2009 7:33 am

From the same friend, who is a master cabinetmaker and teacher of same... "All tools are hammers... except a screwdriver, which is usually a chisel." Said to me when he saw me trying to scrape something off the table with a screwdriver. My dad used to like to make us THINK he was going to use your blind man quote. He would boom, 'I see, said the blind man." Then pause while we waited for it... then he would shrug and say, "But he didn't, really." and walk away from us, whistling. I suppose this thread is not particularly profound, but I really am interested in the groaners and silliness of some quotes, too, from people.
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby treesong » Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 am

Thanks for the good laugh, this is the kind of phrase that can save you from your own more misquided approaches
treesong
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby DJCNOR » Tue May 12, 2009 10:33 am

I love slightly warped versions of old sayings. I caught myself in one a few years ago, when I had a newly developed crush on a guy. I told someone I was walking around with my heart in the clouds. When I realized how I'd warped the old saying "walking around with your HEAD in the clouds", I got to thinking and decided that I quite liked my new version of it. I liked it enough that I used it as the inspiration for several jewelry pieces. Donna
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Tue May 12, 2009 12:28 pm

I like the "heart in the clouds," Donna! Here's one classical musicians might appreciate: I perform with a string quartet at a lot of weddings in the spring and summer. About every 2 or 3 performances, someone comes up to us and says, "Hey, can you play 'Stairway to Heaven?'" or "Hey, I'm ready to hear 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia!'" And they always think they're the very first one to come up with that! Funny thing is, it's always one of those two songs that they ask for. Oh, brother!
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Tue May 12, 2009 1:01 pm

One of my favorite fractured quotes is "Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana."
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Tue May 12, 2009 4:54 pm

This thread needs a snare drum "Ba-DUM!" after all these quotes! :D
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Pick your Favorite Quote