Motivation

Share anything that has inspired you from Barbara's (or anyone else's)books.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Motivation

Postby Ken345 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:54 pm

I'm not sure where I read this quote but it has stuck with me through the years. "If you want something you have never had, you have to do something you have never done." It is such a simple truth, that I can't believe I had never thought of it on my own. Taken to heart, and by doing something new, there is no limit to what we can achieve.
Ken345
New User
New User

Postby MDG » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:13 am

I'd like that for a bumpersticker, Ken...or embroidered and framed. Thanks. Mahara
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby redline » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken345: "If you want something you have never had, you have to do something you have never done." Taken to heart, and by doing something new, there is no limit to what we can achieve.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hmmm... was there any special context to that? Taken as is, in general, neither idea strikes me as particularly true... perhaps it was all applied somehow to some special situation?
redline
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:54 pm

MDG - you can make your own custom bumper stickers at http://www.makestickers.com/ I've bought a couple from them. They are really nice and stand up to weather, salt and heat.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Vict » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:37 pm

redline~ This is the flipside of "If you keep doing what you've done, you'll keep getting what you've got". How do you find "If you want something you have never had, you have to do something you have never done" "not particularly true"? Even on the most practical, least grandiose level, if you want a Jaguar and have never had a Jaguar you would have to do something you have never done - buy a Jaguar. This principle applies to larger and larger desires as well. ------------------ Vict www.MeditationBeads.com
Vict
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby redline » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vict: How do you find "If you want something you have never had, you have to do something you have never done" "not particularly true"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I guess I was thinking more about the "no limits" part, but the first part looks less than obvious too, because:
Even on the most practical, least grandiose level, if you want a Jaguar and have never had a Jaguar you would have to do something you have never done - buy a Jaguar.
That's a trivial reading; there's nothing enlightening or original in such an interpretation; it's a bit tautological, I'd even say, a wordplay, and therefore of no practical use. I was wondering if it meant more than just that. I somehow think it's simply unknown what you need to do in order to get "something that you've never had"... actually, in many cases it may be just doing more of the same. Sometimes things don't work at one time, but do some time later. There's simply no saying (in general). And why "no limits"? I'm probably nitpicking here Image, but still... as a general advice, this sounds a bit like a soundbite w/o much substance, at least on the intuitive level. Perhaps that's just me, I'm not sure... PS.
"If you keep doing what you've done, you'll keep getting what you've got".
That's not true either. It may -- sometimes -- be true, but not always, and not necessarily. Does it look too far out? Image [This message has been edited by redline (edited March 02, 2004).]
redline
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Pick your Favorite Quote