Other People's Wonderful Quotes

Share anything that has inspired you from Barbara's (or anyone else's)books.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby Sharon » Sun Sep 12, 1999 3:27 am

"There are no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something." Thomas Edison "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
Sharon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Gail-TX-37 » Mon Sep 13, 1999 11:22 pm

Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan Fun has a sacred dimension. Adriana Diaz We are so captivated by and entangled in our subjective consciousness that we have forgotten the age-old fact that God speaks chiefly through dreams and visions. Carl Jung Grow old with me! The best is yet to be. Robert Browning Invent your world. Surround yourself with people, color, sounds, and work that nourish you. Sark
Gail-TX-37
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Gudrun » Thu Dec 16, 1999 5:52 am

Very old, from Augustinus (around 400): "ama, et fac quod vis" meaning: "love, and do what you want"
Gudrun
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby judy » Fri Jan 07, 2000 1:31 pm

"When you're on the wrong track, every station is the wrong one." My friend, Bob!
judy
New User
New User

Postby Scarlett » Thu Jan 13, 2000 6:19 pm

These quotes were all taken from a small gift book I received for Christmas, called: "Stepping Out, On the Pathway to Your Dreams" "It is important to know I have a source of strength beyond my own" Elizabeth Dole "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you" The Book of Matthew "I discovered I always have choices, and sometimes it's only a choice of attitude" Judith Knowlton "No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit" Helen Keller "The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat" Lily Tomlin "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face....You must do the thing which you think you cannot" Eleanor Roosevelt "If you have made mistakes...there is always another chance for you...You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down" Mary Pickford "Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent" Eleanor Roosevelt
Scarlett
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby nodummy50+ » Mon Jan 17, 2000 8:43 pm

To attain Knowledge, add things every day; To attain Wisdom, remove things every day. From a wall in a friend's kitchen. (I need to look up the famous author.
nodummy50+
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Renee » Tue Jan 18, 2000 5:22 pm

Never forget that the fruits of our work are not final in themselves. Production is meant to make our lives easier, to give our lives a touch of beauty and refinement, but we should not allow ourselves to be degraded into mere slaves of production. ---Albert Einstein To live is to war with the trolls. ---Ibsen If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing. ---Anatole France Science is a long history of learning how not to fool ourselves. ---Richard Feynman Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them. ---Ann Landers
Renee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby PeterH » Mon Jan 24, 2000 11:52 pm

INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIFE 1.Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully. 2. Memorize your favorite poem. 3. Don\'t believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want. 4. When you say, \"I love you\", mean it. 5. When you say, \"I\'m sorry\", look the person in the eye. 6. Be engaged at least six months before you get married. 7. Believe in love at first sight. 8. Never laugh at anyone\'s dreams. People who don\'t have dreams don\'t have much. 9. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it\'s the only way to live life completely. 10. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling. 11. Don\'t judge people by their relatives. 12. Talk slowly but think quickly. 13. When someone asks you a question you don\'t want to answer, smile and ask, \"Why do you want to know?\" 14. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk. 15. Call your Mom. 16. Say \"bless you\" when you hear someone sneeze. 17. When you lose, don\'t lose the lesson. 18. Remember the three R\'s: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions. 19. Don\'t let a little dispute injure a great friendship. 20. When you realize you\'ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it. 21. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice 22. Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other. 23. Spend some time alone. 24. Open your arms to change, but don\'t let go of your values. 25. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer. 26. Read more books and watch less TV. 27. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back you\'ll get to enjoy it a second time. 28. Trust in God but lock your car. 29. A loving atmosphere in your home is so important. Do all you can to create a tranquil harmonious home. 30. In disagreements with loved ones, deal with the current situation. Don\'t bring up the past. 31. Read between the lines. 32. Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. 33. Be gentle with the earth. 34. Pray. There\'s immeasurable power in it. 35. Never interrupt when you are being flattered. 36. Mind your own business. 37. Don\'t trust a man/woman who doesn\'t close his/her eyes when you kiss. 38. Once a year, go someplace you\'ve never been before. 39. If you make a lot of money, put it to use helping others while you are living. That is wealth\'s greatest satisfaction. 40. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck. 41. Learn the rules then break some. 42. Remember that the best relationship is one where your love for each other is greater than your need for each other. 43. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it. 44. Remember that your character is your destiny. 45. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon. ------------------ phornhar@atctraining.com.au [This message has been edited by PeterH (edited January 25, 2000).]
PeterH
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Janet » Thu Jan 27, 2000 6:32 pm

Two of my favorite quotes are: "The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there." from L.P. Hartley's book The Go-Between Also, from Cervantes Don Quioxte, "Madness is not the inability to see life as it is, but rather the inability to see life as it should be".
Janet
New Poster
New Poster

Postby PeterH » Sun Jan 30, 2000 11:59 pm

\"Regardless of how much patience we have, we would prefer never to use any of it.\" - James T. O\'Brien \"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can.\" - Danny Kaye \"Kindness consists in loving people more than they deserve.\" - Joseph Joubert ------------------ phornhar@atctraining.com.au
PeterH
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby marych » Thu Feb 03, 2000 8:59 pm

"For all things are yours: life and death, and the present and the future. All things are yours." I like it for what it lists, and what is doesn't list: the past. "By the waters of Babylon I sat down and wept." It's a very practical action. I think they're both from Ecclesiastes, but I'm not sure. mcatherine
marych
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby PeterH » Mon Feb 07, 2000 3:53 am

"Give me a smart idiot before a stupid genius any day." - Sam Goldwyn
PeterH
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby PeterH » Mon Feb 14, 2000 1:37 am

"Love is an act of faith, and whoever is of little faith is also of little love." - Erich Fromm
PeterH
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby west » Thu Mar 02, 2000 11:50 pm

by Will Shakespeare "Things done are won joy's soul lies in the doing." I love this especially when I only want to crawl under the covers and be a non-thing who is busy not doing.
west
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Raven » Sat Mar 04, 2000 2:55 pm

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." Abraham Lincoln
Raven
New Poster
New Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Pick your Favorite Quote