Other People's Wonderful Quotes

Share anything that has inspired you from Barbara's (or anyone else's)books.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby chamomile » Mon Feb 12, 2001 9:14 pm

"The reason people find it so hard to be happy is: that they always see the past better than it was; the present worse than it is; and the future finer than it will be." Marcel Pagnol, "On Happiness" and another one: "Everything can be taken from us but one thing; the last of human freedoms: To choose one's attitude in any given circumstance." --Victor Frankl, holocaust survivor
chamomile
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Valerie » Tue Feb 20, 2001 11:42 am

"No ordinary involvement with an idea provides the energy required to cope with the indifference and resistance that change provokes." MIT researcher, Ed Schon "The new idea either finds a champion or dies." Unknown "The life you have led doesn't need to be the only life you'll have." Anna Quindlen "You cannot push a rope." Art Williams "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. The man who listens to reason is lost; reason enslaves all those whose minds are not strong enough to master her." George Bernard Shaw (Thanks for this thread. I love inspirational quotes! I pulled these off my fridge, but I've got a drawer full!)
Valerie
New Poster
New Poster

Postby xnera » Thu Mar 08, 2001 2:11 pm

"Don't hope more than you're willing to work." --Rita Mae Brown That's in the signature of a frequent poster to one of my mailing lists. I think I'm going to hang this quote in every room of my house. I find that I hope a heck of a lot, but never do the necessary work for those hopes to become a reality. --xnera
xnera
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeanie H » Sat Mar 10, 2001 6:17 pm

These are my favorite quotes and All of these have inspired me: "What would attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" Robert Schuler "I love children and it is no small thing, when they, who are so fresh from God, love me." Charles Dickens(?) "This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." “Work like you don't need the money; Dance like nobody's watching; Love like you’ve never been hurt” Jeanie Image
Jeanie H
New Poster
New Poster

Postby d. olsen » Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:58 pm

Smooth waters make unskilled sailors. (A Canadian proverb - at least, I heard it from a Canadian)) The dirtier you are, the prettier the flowers.
d. olsen
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Arty » Fri Mar 16, 2001 7:23 pm

“Work like you don't need the money; Dance like nobody's watching; Love like you’ve never been hurt” I get that part about dancing and love, but what does "work like you don't need the money" mean? I can't imagine why anyone would work if they didn't need the money. And, while we're at it, can anyone translate "He's got a lot to be humble about" for me? [This message has been edited by Arty (edited March 17, 2001).]
Arty
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby dex » Sun Sep 02, 2001 7:12 am

"Measured by the yard, life is hard; measured by the inch, life is a cinch." I recite this when I am overwhelmed by a task.
dex
New User
New User

Postby DStaub11 » Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:11 pm

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS." Mahatma Gandhi (recently quoted in the "New York Times" by Iris Cantor of Cantor Fitzgerald, the bond firm once located on the 101st-105th floors of the World Trade Center. Roughly 300 of the 1,000 employees survived.)
DStaub11
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby justabum » Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:57 pm

Max Lucado says "You never see u-hauls hooked up to hearses". I think that's a great quote because it's just another way of saying, you can't take it with you. Will people ever get that?!
justabum
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Robin W » Tue Nov 20, 2001 8:32 am

...in that profuse upstairs delicatessen of mine I'm as open to every wild possibility as I was at 13...one life was never quite enough for what I had in mind. Seymour Krim (1922-1989) from the essay "For my Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business"
Robin W
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby giovanni8 » Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:06 am

"A joyful life is an individual creation that cannot be copied from a recipe." --- Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi 1990 _Flow_ pg xi "Happiness, in fact, is a condition that must be prepared for, cultivated, & defended privately by each person." --- ibid pg 2 "The best moments usually occur when a person's body or mind is stretched to its limits in a voluntary effort to accomplish something difficult & worthwhile. Optimal experience is thus something that we make happen." --- ibid pg 3 "All social controls, for instance, are based on a threat to the survival instinct. The people of an oppressed country obey their conquerors because they want to go on living." --- ibid pg 17 "working people achieve the flow experience -- deep concentration, high & balanced challenges & skills, a sense of control & satisfaction -- about 4 times as often on their jobs, proportionately, as they do when they are watching television." --- ibit pg 83 "Impara l'arte, e mettila da parte. (Learn how, & then forget that you know how.)" --- M.C. 1994 _The Evolving Self_ pp 168-169 "The sage gives free rein to his desires, embraces his spontaneous dispositions, & all he controls is perfectly ruled... Thus the Zen person walks along the Way without purposive effort; the sage walks along the Way without striving." --- Hzun Tzu 21.66-67 (quoted in ibid pg 169) "Once I have the donnee, the stuff I get out of the unconscious, it's my job to bring it together." --- Anthony Hecht (quoted in M.C. 1996 _Creativity_ pg 251) Peace is not [merely] the absence of conflict. Peace is the presence of justice. You don't have to be a great man. Just be a man. "There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." from a "Scientific American" review of a physics text [This message has been edited by giovanni8 (edited February 26, 2002).]
giovanni8
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Stonegirl » Thu Feb 28, 2002 8:12 pm

From my favorite author Lois McMaster Bujold: Book "Memory" "the Introduction to Tactics professor never bothered changing his tests from term to term to prevent cheating because while the questions were the same, the answers changed." "When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence, you had damned well better take the action that would create it" "The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart." And from the the book "The Vor Game": "Never make key tactical decisions while having electro-convulsive seizures." Image [This message has been edited by Stonegirl (edited February 28, 2002).]
Stonegirl
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Genna » Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:58 pm

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Genna
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Genna » Sun Apr 28, 2002 7:32 am

Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. Hans Christian Anderson We should all do what, in the long run, gives us joy, even if it is only picking grapes or sorting the laundry. E.B. White
Genna
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Wise&Free » Tue May 28, 2002 4:58 pm

Oops, posted this on "Barbara's quotes", should have posted here: "Perhaps love is the process of my leading you gently back to yourself." Supposedly St. Exupery, but I've never located it.
Wise&Free
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Pick your Favorite Quote