Other People's Wonderful Quotes

Share anything that has inspired you from Barbara's (or anyone else's)books.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby Sunny » Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:26 pm

Image Thank you for this thread.
Sunny
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Flora Fauna » Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:12 am

When some misfortune threatens, consider seriously and deliberately: what is the very worst that could possibly happen? Having looked this possible misfortune in the face, give yourself sound reasons for thinking that after all it wouldn't be such a terrible disaster--such reasons always exist, since at the very worst nothing that happens to oneself has any COSMIC importance. When you have looked, for some time, steadily, at the worst possibility and have said to yourself, with real conviction: "Well, after all, that wouldn't matter so very much", you will find that your worry diminishes to a quite extraordinary degree! It may be necessary to repeat the process a few times, but in the end, if you have shirked nothing in facing the worst possible outcome, you will find that your worry disappears altogether, and is replaced by... a kind of exhilaration. --Bertrand Russell The Conquest of Happiness Quote taken from Susan Hayward's "A Guide for the Advanced Soul, a Book of Insight"
Flora Fauna
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby ebrazley » Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:22 am

"If you keep doing the same ole things, you'll keep getting the same ole results." (don't know the author of this one)
ebrazley
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Childat50 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:41 pm

Quotes my mother gave me that have helped me through a bad marriage and a search for the perfect man! "Nobody can walk on you if you don't lay down." and "Don't overlook an orchid while searching for a rose." and about raising children... "The first things we teach our children is to walk and to talk, the next things are to sit down and shut up!" What a great mother!
Childat50
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby maedele » Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:00 pm

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell "Let your advance worrying become advanced thinking and planning." --Winston Churchill
maedele
New Poster
New Poster

Postby tapit » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:16 am

I found this quote in an autobiography of a woman who was a well-known sculptor in the early 20th century- "Instead of saying it is too late, how much more sensible it would be to say:' Here I am past fifty. I have lived through the tempestuous periods of life. I have learned my lessons with burnt fingers and enduring experiences. I know what love, hate, friendship, suffering, joy, are. I have tasted all the emotions. I know what I think of this existence they call life. Now- before me lies a peaceful period in which I can give the world, in more or less helpful form, what all these things have meant to me. The time has come for me to make my contribution to enduring things. What shall it be?"
tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Flora Fauna » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:01 am

Beautiful! Thanks for that one Image <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tapit: <B>I found this quote in an autobiography of a woman who was a well-known sculptor in the early 20th century- "Instead of saying it is too late, how much more sensible it would be to say:' Here I am past fifty. I have lived through the tempestuous periods of life. I have learned my lessons with burnt fingers and enduring experiences. I know what love, hate, friendship, suffering, joy, are. I have tasted all the emotions. I know what I think of this existence they call life. Now- before me lies a peaceful period in which I can give the world, in more or less helpful form, what all these things have meant to me. The time has come for me to make my contribution to enduring things. What shall it be?"</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Flora Fauna
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby vibrantshine » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:13 pm

10yrs ago, I started doing my art, then gave up after the first little difficulty. Since then, I have grown to see I shouldnt have given up so easily. Now, I am present to face the fears within and do what I did not before. I am inspired by this quote "Dont give up 5 minutes before your miracle comes!" Cant remember where I heard this, tho. Thanks for all who share your quotes-- I have been given the boost I needed this evening. Blessings to all Vibrant
vibrantshine
New Poster
New Poster

Postby brooky » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:59 pm

Barbara - Enjoying "It's Only Too Late..." (a Christmas gift from my daughter), however on page 184 you gave mystery writer Dorothy Sayer credit for a quote that actually comes from the Bible (Matthew 18:3), "Except ye become as little children, ye cannot enter the kingdom of God".
brooky
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Diva Trudi » Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:56 am

"You did what you knew - and when you knew better, you did better" - Maya Angelou
Diva Trudi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Kay.tee » Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:18 am

"Are you in earnest? Seize this very minute: What you can do , or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Only engage and then the mind grows heated; Begin and then the work will be completed." -Goethe-
Kay.tee
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Shakey » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:34 pm

"I have made it a rule to never smoke more than one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain I love to refer to this one when I'm feeling overwhelmed because I've got too many balls in the air...and when I need a laugh. For when I need to wrestle with the criticism from without...and within, "A critic is a man who knows the way but can't drive the car." - Kenneth Tynan (Or there's another version that I don't know the source for: "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach; those who can't teach, become critics.")
Shakey
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby MDG » Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:08 am

Parents of very young hockey players were often critical of their childrens' efforts at the game, and the volunteer coaches often came under fire, too. I used to say that I only wanted to hear complaints from those wearing skates! - Image -
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AVATC » Fri May 30, 2003 6:40 pm

I love inspirational quotes! My wall next to my desk is full of them, and I use such quotes in my marketing pieces. Anyone who has read any of my posts on the other boards probably has seen some of these quotes, especially the last one, which I repeat at any opportunity! What you declare, you will achieve. (Anonymous) Dreams come a size too big so that we can grow into them. (Josie Bissett) What you want to be eventually, you must be everyday. With practice, the quality of your deeds will get down into your soul. (Frank Crane) To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream. Not only plan, but also believe. (Anatole France) Whatever you are by nature, keep to it. Never desert your line of talent. Be what nature intended you for, and you will succeed. (Sydney Smith) Patience and diligence, like faith, remove mountains. (William Penn) Do what you can where you are with what you\'ve got. (Theodore Roosevelt) If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it. (William Arthur Ward) Be brave, and mighty forces will come to your aid. (Basil King) These things take time. (Henriette Anne Klauser) You don\'t go on safari without having a base camp. The base camp has to be funded, stocked and operational in order to have a successful safari. (David Dean) The next 2 quotes are from my idol and mentor Barry Manilow: You can give in You can give out But just don\'t ever give up! Don\'t do it for the money -- it will never be enough. Don\'t do it for the applause -- it will never be enough. Don\'t do it for the approval -- it will never be enough. Do it because you can\'t NOT do it. <B>My all-time favorite quote – another gem from Barry Manilow: I believe that we are who we choose to be. Nobody is going to come and save you. You\'ve got to save yourself. Nobody is going to give you anything. You\'ve got to go out and fight for it. Nobody knows what you want except you, and nobody will be as sorry as you if you don\'t get it. So don\'t give up your dreams. </B> ------------------ Karen Commins http://www.AVOICEAboveTheCrowd.com
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Dragonrider » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:21 pm

A couple of my favorite quotes: The Southern Cross and the satelites, they remind me of where we are. Spinning around in circles, living it day to day. And still 24 hours, maybe 60 good years, it's really not that long a stay. You've got to roll with the punches, learn to play all of your hunches, make the best of whatever comes your way. Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition....plowin straight ahead come what may. Jimmy Buffet " Remember....You are what GOD is up to right now." Wayne Dyer
Dragonrider
New Poster
New Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Pick your Favorite Quote