Other People's Wonderful Quotes

Share anything that has inspired you from Barbara's (or anyone else's)books.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby Scooterman » Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:53 am

My favorite quote from "someone else" comes from Jean Shepherd, the radio humorist who wrote the script for the movie, "Christmas Story." His was: "Keep your knees loose and give them a low sillouette! That way, they have less to shoot at!" The favorite quote from "me" is the following: "The appearance of motion is better than no motion at all!" I refer to it as Scooterman's Corrolary. You can interchange the word "motion" with many other words and the statement still makes a lot of sense. For example, I had a terrible manager on one job who never held staff meeting, kept everything secret up until the time he announced whoi had to do it, etc., etc. When we got a new manager, he held meetings, talked about projects weeks in advance. He wasn't any better at managing what we had to do, but at least he gave the appearance of being a manager. Thus, "The appearance of management is better than no management at all!" If you're searching for a accurate medical diagnosis and gone without one for yeasr, that word "diagnosis" proves the validity of my statement. Try a lot of words of your own. Sometimes if it looks like you have what it is that you're looking for, it's better than saying you have nothing at all. Think about "job," "spouse," "education," "plan," etc., etc., etc. And these are self-serving, since they were said about me, but I sure remember them! One co-worker once told some people I was setting up a computer system for, "Stan can give you answers to questions you didn't even know you needed to have answered." My then current Boss, who was being contacted for my references for another job, at another government agency, told the person who would become my new boss, "Stan walks on water!" As soon as I got my new job and learned what my old boss had said, I was quick to point out to him that "I only guarentee results in Nome, in January!" Stan, the Scooterman [This message has been edited by Scooterman (edited July 27, 2003).]
Scooterman
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby MDG » Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:21 pm

~ Image ~ Image ~ Image ~ Great stuff, Stan! I'll be smiling about this all week... Mahara
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:38 am

Some that are on my frig: "Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now." (Crosby, Stills, Nash) "You know, when the truth is told, you can get what you want, or you can just get old" (Billy Joel) "If you would not be forgotten soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth the reading - or do things worth the writing." (Benjamin Franklin) "Just because you CAN do somethings, doesn't mean you SHOULD." (anonymous) "Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." (anonymous) "A consultant is someone who borrows your watch to tell you what time it is." "We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." (Joseph Campbell) "The women who take husbands not out of love but out greed, to get their bills paid, to get a fine house and clothes and jewels...to get out of a timesome job, or to get away from disagreeable relatives, or to avoid being called an old maid - these are whores in everything but name." "It is never any good dwelling on goodbyes. It is not the being together that it prolongs, it is the parting." (Elizabeth Bibesco) "The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up." (Paul Valery) "You need to ask yourself; "Am I really headed where I want to go, or am I just out there wandering around?" "Is what I'm doing today really what I want to do, or am I doing it, not because I want to, but because it is what I was doing yesterday." (Phil McGraw)
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Calliope » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nodummy50+: <B>To attain Knowledge, add things every day; To attain Wisdom, remove things every day. From a wall in a friend's kitchen. (I need to look up the famous author.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Lao-Tzu said that.
Calliope
New Poster
New Poster

Postby EPotik » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:31 pm

"Don't worry about what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman This quote has revolutionized how I think about the "what to do?" question. I have it up on my wall. Thanks to The Rustic Bohemian, a fun store run by an awesome woman in New Paltz, NY.
EPotik
New User
New User

Postby Quest » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:18 pm

"You are wholly complete, and your success in life will be in direct proportion to your ability to accept this truth about you." - Dr. Anthony Wilson “The highways of life are full of flat squirrels who couldn’t make up their minds.” - Unknown (ouch!)
Quest
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby undefined » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:32 pm

Wine is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Ben Franklin Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. - George Carlin [This message has been edited by undefined (edited March 22, 2004).]
undefined
New Poster
New Poster

Postby pompadour » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:23 pm

the worst day on the beach is still better than the best day in the office and all beginning is difficult! The first million is the hardest.
pompadour
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby psychodoodle » Mon May 10, 2004 12:44 pm

"Good art won't match your sofa" Fred Babb
psychodoodle
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby psychodoodle » Mon May 10, 2004 12:48 pm

Good taste is the enemy of creativity - Pablo Picasso
psychodoodle
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby psychodoodle » Mon May 10, 2004 12:50 pm

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." -Oscar Levant
psychodoodle
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby psychodoodle » Mon May 10, 2004 12:52 pm

"Denial is a creative opportunity..." -Adja-Pelly-GoBoomdamn
psychodoodle
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby psychodoodle » Mon May 10, 2004 12:56 pm

This is the one I should try: "You meet rich people and you hang around with them, and one night they've had a few drinks and they say 'I'll buy it!' Then they tell their friends, "you must have this person's work, darling,' and that's all you need. That's all it takes. Get it?" -Andy Warhol (in his diary on what it takes to make it in the art world.)
psychodoodle
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby psychodoodle » Mon May 10, 2004 1:18 pm

"It is only those who never do anything who never make mistakes." -A. Favre "If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new." - Voltaire "Oh NO!!! I forgot to have fun!" -Little Lulu (at age 67) "People who are resting on their laurels are wearing them on the wrong end." -Malcolm Kushner "Try? There is no try. There is only do or not do". -Yoda "Every rule here may be broken except this one!" -Karl Pomar "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." -Anais Nin "Good grief! This wallpaper is killing me. One of us has got to go!" -Oscar Wilde's last words "If you go to a magic show, you don't want to see logic." -Wille Nelson "What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind..." -Thomas Hewitt Key "I have made this letter somewhat longer than usual because I lack the time to make it short." -Blaise Pascal " You know how it is whenya take the credit for something. Pretty soon it turns to blame." - George Combs "God put me on this Earth to do a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die." -Johnny Strumba
psychodoodle
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby psychodoodle » Mon May 10, 2004 1:35 pm

* "A painting is never finished - it simply stops in interesting places." Paul Gardner * "A room hung with pictures is a room hung with thoughts." Sir Joshua Reynolds * "Art is either plagiarism or revolution." Paul Gaugin * "Art is like a border of flowers along the course of civilization." Lincoln Steffens * "Art is the signature of civilizations." Beverly Sills * "It has bothered me all my life that I do not paint like everybody else." Henri Matisse
psychodoodle
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Pick your Favorite Quote