April 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

email 3x zeros—0 0 0

Postby Lynx » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:12 am

Hi,

Just got my sent box to zero, my inbox has been zero for almost a month, my spam is zeroed out daily. I noticed a lot of my sent messages are about scheduling appointments.

I guess there's a badge somewhere the gamifyers are bestowing upon me. I'll see what it takes to keep it going.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: email 3x zeros—0 0 0

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Lynx wrote: Just got my sent box to zero, my inbox has been zero for almost a month, my spam is zeroed out daily. Lynx

Wow! Congrats! I'm impressed. Hearing about you doing this is inspiring me to get rid of all my inbox stuff. Hopefully, I can start to baby-step-it. Thanks for sharing.

I'd like to whine and complain about people who call me a whiner and a complainer. Yes, some do. On the other hand, some say I stay positive and keep my sense of humor even during really difficult times. I do whine and complain but there's a difference between DOING something, like complaining, and BEING something like a complainer. Someone today said via email, "you were bemoaning the fact that...." I found the word "bemoaning" insulting. I was "bemoaning" the fact that I can no longer talk on the telephone due to hearing loss. To be fair, the person who said I was bemoaning is the president of HLAA and has been very helpful too me in learning to get my CC set up and learning about hearing assisted devices and becoming a part of HLAA, etc. Maybe she was having a bad day. I do know she is someone who thinks being positive is a good thing. I think I need to be careful around her to share my hearing successes and ask for help without "bemoaning".

I am glad I can come here and bemoan all I want. Three cheers for bemoaning! I'm being terribly successful at it these days. I think I might even humbly say I've become quite the expert at it. :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: April 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:48 am

Tons of fun in Nanowrimo. 31,000 words so far. I dropped my goal to 40,000 words, but I hope to get the full 50,000 before the end of the month. I'm about 2000 short of being on track for the 50,000 word goal. I'm motivated by numbers. Can you tell?

I figured out some stuff for the ending. Also, some people suggested movie clips and a web site for ideas about the kill/almost kill scene. This lead to a couple of ideas, which lead to me requesting three books on paintball from the library. I wish I'd thought of that earlier.
So thanks, fellow Nanowrimo's.

This is success after a lot of bemoaning. So yes, Inspire, bemoan all you want. You have bemoaned, but you've also achieved. I used to feel bad because sometimes my posts were nothing but complaining. But it is nice to have a place where you can complain all you want, and no one's going to tell you not to. And you can also smile and no one's going to tell you not to. :D

Oh, I often forget to check out the quotes on the boards because they are at the bottom of the page and I don't see the topic unless I deliberately look for it. Last night, I stumbled on it, and read it from the beginning. Wow! Fun and inspirational. Of course my favorite is, "Don't complain about your wife's choices. You are one of them." Does it also apply to husband's choices? Surely not. :lol:

Good wishes to everyone who reads this.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:12 am

Elaine, I'm so glad that you're enjoying your writing again!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

bemoaning ....

Postby Lynx » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi everyone,

Bemoaning, Ima bemoaning, U-a bemoaning, they-a bemoaning. Well, why the heck not! Things suck sometimes, and though we stout-heartedly address them we have every need and claim to complain.

Complainers live longer, or so this bit of factoids data claims that's been swirling around the net for 8 years.

A couple of nit-picky complaints about this article. It confuses confession with complaining, and also mixes up efforts to change things with complaining. And folds in suggestions to chose happiness, too. Not a great article by any means.

There, feel a lot better,

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Elaine and Lynx, thanks for your responses to my bemoaning!

Lynx, I just worked my way through my "sent" file tossing things in the little garbage can. Why do things like inbox say the # of things there and sent does not? My sent box went all the way back to 5/14! Yikes! Definitely time to clean out. It was interesting to do the sent file because it showed me over a long time period who I email the most.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:14 pm

shit. I think I screwed up. I was trying to get rid of all drafts. I clicked on the square box at the top where it said "all" and it asked if I wanted all those messages deleted so I said yes thinking it was just the draft I was deleting but I think I deleted all the actual finished emails. crap. is that what I did? it looks like the number of drafts are still sitting there.

My goodness. I reread the above and I think that's the longest sentence I've ever written!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:57 pm

I know you can retrieve e-mail sent to you from the trash, but you can't leave it in there for too long. I'm not sure if you can retrieve the letters you sent.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm grateful that I have a soft pleasant voice when I whine and complain. I was just talking to someone who complains a lot in a loud grating obnoxious voice. So glad to get away from her.

I know my type of quiet whining gets on some people's nerves. It sounds wimpy to those people. I wonder if there is a really nice whining voice. I have spoken to people who are pleasant whiners and it makes me feel sympathetic towards them. Vocal tone is so important when one whines. I think I should practice having a pleasant voice while whining since I'm doing a lot of it right now.

I wish I felt better. Good things are happening and I appreciate them. It's just so hard when the underlying feeling is depression.

I tried to give my guitar away and can't find someone who wants it. 3 people flaked out from freecycle. I called a sculptor I know who uses stuff like that but no return call. The next step is craigslist. After that, it's going to have to be landfill, which seems sad. I think I'll call the Guitar store and see if they know anyone who wants it.

I'm trying to give my keyboard away as well. 3 responses so far from freecycle. It's not broken like the guitar so I think I'll have a better chance.

I'm trying to clean things out right now. Letting go. Making space for new and better things.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:53 pm

It's time for me to take charge and move forward. I'm tired of complaining. Yes, I wish I weren't depressed, but I am. There are good things and I'm going to start sharing them. The Universe is moving me forward with music, which is a really important thing for me. Here's what's happening:

1. I started a new music listening class today and I'm going to really enjoy it. It's 6 weeks then he takes a break during summer and resumes the class in the fall. I definitely plan on continuing with the class. He's a great teacher and the other students (only 6 plus me) are very friendly and interested in the topic. Each quarter he covers one section of classical music. This time it's my favorite time period, the Classical Period. In the fall it will be the Romantic Period.

I used a hearing assisted device in the class for the first time. I could hear the instructor and the music very clearly. Unfortunately, it doesn't help much with hearing the other students. I positioned myself in a way where I could see the teacher and the other students in order to lip read. People think lip reading or hearing aids make it possible to understand everything. Hearing aids are really just for understanding one person standing 3-4 feet in front of you. Lip reading only covers 10%-20% of speech. But the positive thing is that I'm learning about hearing loss devices and understanding how and where to apply them as well as practicing lip reading online and doing another online program that trains the brain to process hearing information better.

2. I just gave away my keyboard. There are all kinds of reasons why that's important, but I won't go into them. The important thing is I'm letting go of music stuff that doesn't work for me in order to make way for things that suit my needs now.

3. I'm giving my little penny whistle to the Goodwill.

4. I'm ready to give the guitar away. So far, no luck with that. I posted it on craigslist tonight. I couldn't figure out how to put it in the free section so it's going to be in the musical instrument section. I have so much impatience about getting rid of this stuff. I need to slow down. Things are moving forward.

Getting rid of all music-making instruments releases the past physically, mentally and emotionally and paves the way for bringing the right instrument into my apartment -- a new digital piano. The first step is to buy a pair of good headphones to take with me to the piano store. I'm not sure when I'll do that but I hope soon. Hopefully this coming week.

I finally found my cards for doing the Luscher Color Test. I use it when I'm having trouble putting things into words -- especially feelings that seem murky and unclear. it always amazes me how accurate it is in describing what I'm going through. It helps me a lot and I haven't been able to find the cards for months.

I know all of this is good. I hope the depression lifts soon. It's been a really long time -- 6 months. It is what it is but it sucks. I have to be grateful for all that I mentioned above, especially the fact that I feel like the wind is at my back when it comes to music. That helps.

I'm going to start posting goals and successes re: music. It's time to get back to steppin'.

To the page....to the music? to the piano? to the.. I'll have to think about it. To the...
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Inspire is Baccccck!

Postby Lynx » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:36 pm

Go Inspire,

I had to look up the Luscher Color Test. Sort of remember it, may have taken it at one time or another. Interesting to see you self-take it and then do your own analysis.

Re giving away the Guitar and freecyle no shows. I don't get the no show business at all, and I do lots of things to raise the %. One is I require at least two bits of information, say pick-up times plus a phone number. I often will call the person to discuss arrangements. Still, too many people flake. I just don't get it. But cheers for the responsible folks that follow through.

Leave it at the corner of Haight & Asbury on a dry day with a "free, needs work" or "for art project" sign.

Thanks for sharing the bits of info on how hard it is to use audio assistance devices and lip-read. Make friends in your music appreciation class.

I've had a busy week, and find I'm tired tonight. So, just random reading, poking around some books, maybe a bridge article or two. Tomorrow will join friends for rubber bridge, and Sunday maybe a day trip about town doing errands.

My Camp Nano project is going strong. I'm a bit ahead of schedule, and the idea of doing the close reading tonight just doesn't excite. So, I'm signing myself out after 20 minutes, rather than the 130 that's my goal.

Feeling pretty good after dashing out a review of David Byrne's Here Lies Love disco experience which I saw last night. Sort of miss that's finished; enjoyed the research a lot.

Oh, another annoying thing to deal with. I use a wiki — hackpad — to keep track of my writing and refer people to when they are curious. It's shutting down in June and I have to work out how to save what I've done someplace else. They told me Dropbox Paper might work. I'll see, maybe I'll play with that some tonight.

I have some things I'm putting off, of course, which I'll begin to list soon enough.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

24 :: how to go from 50 to 0 in 2 easy hours

Postby Lynx » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Weekdays are tough on my 0-0 / zero inbox; zero sent / goals.

Had 50 (fifty?) this morning. Took 2 hours to get it back to none. Well almost, I have three daily blogs left which I'll read after writing this and taking a mental respite break.

Because email can ensnare, I never look there first thing unless I am waiting for a pending response from someone.

Got to my 2 major tasks first. These are my Camp Nano reading goal (going for 80 minutes a day, hit 90 this morning) and addressing my condo siding process at least daily (reached 90 minutes on this goal, too.) Once I got rolling, the next sentence flowed forth, so I kept writing them down.

Took a breather, and set the count-up timer before opening Ye New Email.

I first click out anything I can see I'm not interested in right now. This accounts for about half.

Then I start at the top and go one by one with a click. Between the headline and the first few lines of text I see displayed underneath the stack I decide what to do. For anything I am simply cc'd on I glance at the comments and then shuffle off the messages to the appropriate folders.

I'm on a couple of newsletters (to Venture Capitalists of all people) which list articles the editors are reading every day. These lists are interesting and I may read about 1 our every 6. I go ahead and look at, or read, the articles. Then delete the email.

My editor for my drama reviews sends out press releases or requests. I consider these as they come up.

One of my lists has a really interesting set of threads. These are filed in my read-later folder.

A few email are confirming appointments. I have these in my book now, so I delete the messages.

A few are for things scheduled months away. I have a folder for each of the months, so I folder these in the appropriate month.

If there's an email I can give a response to, however brief, I go ahead and send one. This morning I had a couple that required some initial research. I found what I could in 5 minutes and sent that with a note more was needed. Then I deleted the inbox message.

Thought one message had a job announcement. Deadline was Friday, oops — deleted the message.

Now I'm down to the weekend blogs, which I enjoy. Getting a cup of juice and retiring to a comfortable chair and reading them slowly.

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:24 pm

Lynx wrote,
Inspire is Baccccck!

Yes, I am!!!!

Some good news. I went to my first music class and the FM hearing device worked great. I heard the instructor really clearly.

I had a nice talk with one of the people in the class during the break and after class. I think I've mentioned more than once that it's impossible for me to find people who want to go to the HD LIve ballet and opera movies. I get sick of going alone so I skipped everything this season. The season is over and will start again in the fall, This person I met, Beverly, GOES TO THESE MOVIES! YAY! I'LL HAVE SOMEONE TO GO WITH ME IN THE FALL! FINALLY! I've spent years trying to find someone to go with me. She frequently takes adult ed classes so I think I've made a new friend.

The music class is an ongoing series of classes and I intend to continue with it. Unfortunately, he's not teaching during the summer session. I hope I can come up with something to do during the summer. I have an eye on a ballet-inspired exercise class. The challenge would be the FM device. The instructor would have to have it attached to her and I would have to have the receiver attached to me. It's probably going to challenge her choreographically. I hope we can make it work. I don't even know if they have an FM device but if they don't, HLAA might lend me one. They're very expensive so I don't know if they would risk it. The main point is, I'm not giving up on taking a class I want to take, just because of my hearing problem.

AND, THAT'S NOT ALL, FOLKS! I qualified for a scholarship for the music class and I can reapply each quarter. It's based on income so I should continue to qualify. The dance class is at a different location, but I think I know the scholarship process there as well. I'll find out soon. I'm creating a list of adult ed centers and which ones have scholarships and which ones have the FM hearing devices.

As far as mood goes, I'm seriously depressed, which continues to suck. This time of year I'm usually doing much better. My bipolar used to be very clearly seasonal. Now it's shifting around and I can't count on the good times like I used to. All I can do is enjoy the good stuff when it happens and try to hang in there with the rest.

My freecycle group is an excellent group. They're considerate, grateful and always on time. This recent 3 people in a row thing is a fluke. I tried a friend who does sculpture but she didn't respond. I tried craigslist but I'm sick of the whole thing. I put it down in my dumpster area with a note on it with a youtube link on how to fix it. Either someone will take it or it will go in landfill. Either way, it's out of my life and I can focus on getting a piano.

Lynx, thanks for continuing to share your inbox clearing out process. It's definitely inspiring me. I've been working on mine and trying to figure out a good system. My current system is to have no system at all, which is not working for me!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi folks,

I'm just 10 minutes shy of my daily Camp Nano goal of 80 minutes of research/ reading. Needed a breather. Interestingly, Steinbeck nearing the end of East of Eden kept reminding himself in his daily letter to his editor to keep the same steady pace and not rush it. Thought I'd update here and then finish for the evening on that project.

@Inspire :: guitar — goners. Class — audio working. New class – audio might work. Friend — yes, to go to movies and continue in the class. Go!

Had a bit of "free is too expensive" run the last two days. About a month ago my partner got a gift (free) watch from buy nothing/freecycle. She and this other person had exchanged a few things before. The gifter was letting it go because her boy friend was not wearing it and the battery needed replacement. It's actually too big for my wrist, so I plan to re-gift it to my brother for his birthday in May.

The brand on the watch was IWC, so I looked it up—International Watch Company. Usually they make "automatic" watches, the current trade term for wind-up analog watches. But the forums seemed to imply that the did make some quartz watches, called megaquartz chronographs. The model I had was Portuguese.

Further research turned up that replacing the battery might run $50. Sunday we made it to the jewelers that's an official IWC dealer. My watch: fake. Due to their exclusive agreements with IWC, they couldn't touch it. The advised finding a watchmaker and have them do it. Did actually handle the real deal, base price $4000, up to custom made models running over $650,000. Returned everything to the salesman and walked out with my hand out of my pockets and clearly visible.

Thanks to Yelp, found a really competent, quick, and relatively inexpensive shop. $20 for the battery install. Still yet to pay the postage to get it to my brother.

So, "free" sometimes is expensive. This is a quote or sorts from a James Tate poem, but a quick look over my shelves didn't find his book so I could get it right. I may look again. Maybe not,

To the shelf,
Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:02 pm

I'm so glad I procrastinated on getting the guitar out to the dumpster. It's been rainy and I didn't want it out there getting wet. I just got two replies from craigslist. I'd much rather give it directly to someone I know who really wants it. The first person lives in my town and I suggested he come by on Sunday to get it. I feel good about it. Hope it works out.

Lynx, what a watch saga! :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories