August 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

August 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:20 pm

Welcome to the stepper thread for August. Commit to taking steps towards achieving a goal. How many steps is up to you. Just keep going, and we'll cheer you on, whether your slogging or running.

The first requirement in taking a step in the right direction is to take a step in some direction. ~Robert Brault,
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:27 am

Oh, yay, I'm logged in at the start. We'll see how things unfold.

My goal for today is a thoughtful/feeelingful one: how to prepare for nearly uninterrupted time with other people. I'm an introvert and recover my center when alone. Traveling with someone and staying with friends shrinks this time to near zero. The right traveling partners pose no problems. It's the other 99%.

Particularly interested to search out blogs etc on Stoics and talking with other people. My travel companion last night had a regret for picking Spirit to fly on for a leg of our trip. She thought we'd be charged more for luggage. I recalled that decision, and that we were of sound mind when we made it. I then recalled we'd already paid for our luggage. She couldn't remember, and as is often the case, would prefer the misery of regretting than to take a moment to look up our receipt.

I hauled out of bed and looked it up, ... we've paid for it.

I have to deal with something like this daily from nearly all sides. Not to mention untangling my own nuttiness without any help.

The challenge is that I want to "turn off" the topic, and nothing seems to get past it. I could walk away but "not listening" has its own traps.

Later, she apologizes because she doesn't intend to frustrate me, it just often comes out that way in the moment.

Edit 1 because I Found this thread of Reddit. I'm experimenting with prepare for it and treat it as something beyond my direct control. Listen politely once, communicate I've heard, then leave to go do something urgent.

More to unfold, I guess,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: August 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:03 am

Good communication is a skill and an art form. I have a few friends who are gifted communicators, or, more likely, they practice and refine the art.

Lynx, it sounds as if your traveling companion could use a few tips. I hope you get through to her. It's like dancing - you have to get used to your partner's moves. On an optimistic note, maybe your friend is a little nervous and will calm down after you've been on the road for a bit.

Me - I'm going to be bit house-bound because of the hip. My promise to myself is that I'll write and write and write, and spend a little more time writing. Oh, and I'll use the extra time to write. I won't be totally house-bound, but anything physical will be seriously limited.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:36 pm

I'm depressed and house-bound - not a good combination. I'm reading a book on tyranny which is really depressing, but I want to get through it. My simple goal for today is to get out of the house and talk to some people. And get a little exercise in the process. If I can do that, it will be awesome.

Nailed it! Didn't set any records, but I feel so much better.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:41 am

Hi,

Some time and wifi so I'm writing update from Philly. Doing great so far, each day has its own dreamy rhythm.

Tyranny is no fun, it's a type of medicine to read up on it. Endure.

Communications with my travel companion (TC) much better. The remedy for anxiety is action (stoic idea).

Working way through some essays of stoicism. Helping a lot.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 am

HI, Lynx, Glad you got some wifi time.

Yes, to your comments about action. Moving always feels better than staying still (in the long run.)

In that note, I'll try to do my bills, get outside, exercise, and talk to someone, and I'd better add laundry to the list if I plan to wear clothes to my writers' group tomorrow.

I'm glad your having a good time so far, Lynx,

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:49 pm

It feels as if I'm plowing through molasses (bad description, oh well.) Really depressed about the world/national news.

Bright side. I'm going to see my orthopedist tomorrow - first appointment. There are two ways to do hip surgery. One is with an anterior incision, which I'm hoping for, which heals really fast. The other is the older way with a posterior incision. This guy is young which means he's more likely to go for the newer methods. And there's one guy in his practice that has a video on the website telling all about the anterior incision. So that's the hope. The fear is that the insurance is quirky, and I won't be able to get the guy who does the anterior incision.

I fear I'll seem very self-centered, as I'll probably be the only one posting through the month of August.

If anyone reads this, please don't judge.

Also, if anyone reads this and wants to post but feels at all hesitant, believe me, your comments, whatever they are will be welcome.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi folks,

In the late-middle of my month of travel. Currently in NYC. Most things working out, a few lucky finds,one could have been better meal, and an off-broadway show. Partner did a poetry reading, even, and we got a quick trip up the Hudson to Yonkers to view my photographer friend's latest work.

Main goals are to get to my meds while traveling. Difficult do to the chronically shifting routines and timings.

Two more full days then to Chi.

Elaine, hip surgery? Yes, the newer method seems the way to go if you must have it. Showering bewildering energies on the insurance gatekeeper so that they will approve this and let you get on with it.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:40 am

Lynx, Yay for you and your trip. Come back with many good stories.

Me - the orthopedist said, yes, it's time for surgery, and referred me to the guy who actually does the surgery. The alternative is cortisone shots which are good for a few months, but only delay the inevitable. If' I'm getting the surgery, I'd just as soon have it and move on. Yes, he does the anterior cut, which is minimally invasive. The insurance company will love it since it's cheaper - no overnight hospital stay, and faster recovery. The problem would have been if there were no one in my area who did the anterior cut. The surgeon worked for the Oakland A's for five years and worked on Glover. (I don't follow baseball, so I don't know who he is, but someone reading this might.)

I have accumulated another ick list. Cleaning up a some of my own messes, and doing other chores that I don't want to do.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:10 am

Howdy,

In Chicago, and today's a day of chill and small tasks. A friend has gifted us a stay at one of the downtown hotels (his loyalty benefits) in a couple of days for a night. Today we try for Second City (many folks from Saturday Night Live came up from SC. The main stage is expensive, but it has other stages).

Maybe a ride on the lake or river to look at architecture and enjoy the water in a couple of days.

One or two clinker meals but nothing else to mention a problem with.

Elaine, tough that you need the op but it seems that the method you want and the ins co are on board. I don't know about Glover either.

To the day,
Lynx
PS — commented to a friend that when my inbox is at zero I am exposed to yahoo's ideas of the celebrity news I desperately need to know. He said just leave one message there all the time. Genius. The subject is something like: this is the equal to a zero inbox.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:45 am

Visited with an old friend. We had a lot of fun, just talking.

Two big chores to do. Then I'm trying a new approach to writing. More fun and less thinking and fussing.

Lynx, have a great time in Chicago, although by the time you read this you'll probably be somewhere else.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Success Stories