November 2017 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

November 2017 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:15 pm

Welcome to the stepper thread for November. Commit to taking steps towards achieving a goal. How many steps is up to you. Just keep going, and we'll cheer you on, whether your slogging or running.

The first requirement in taking a step in the right direction is to take a step in some direction. ~Robert Brault,

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." Milton Berle Thanks to Jason for this one.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: November 2017 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:14 pm

Is anyone doing Nanowrimo this month?

That's my big project for this month. 50,000 words during November.

Physical therapy has had an unexpected benefit. For some reason, I can write really well during PT - waiting for the bus, lying around with ice on my hip. Writing is a habit, and I've gotten in the habit of writing when I can during PT. To be honest, I do a tenth as much when I get home.

Wishing you all good steps.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3 nanowrimo?

Postby Lynx » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi,

Thanks EG for opening the month's thread.

I did Nanowrimo last year, and just a couple of weeks ago helped a buddy I met at the kickoff. It was terrific sprinting to each days word goals.

Not engaged this year. I should see if my membership still works because some of the resources listed in threads there were terrific.

Having a curious feeling I'm not quite getting enough sleep but I don't feel tired after 4:30 am. I didn't have a nap yesterday, had a long difficult day with lots of walking and thinking, and finally didn't do much until bedtime after 11 and before midnight.

Not sure this is much of a problem, just curious to me.

Now, to see if Nanowrimo will let me lurk.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:57 pm

6791 words. I'm on track.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:23 am

Hi,

"6791 words. I'm on track." GO!

Beginning a run of video/call interviews about this project I'm working on using zoom.us video conferencing.

So far, all the new stuff I'm using seems to be working as promised. One online booking site, Smoothbook, seems to have a bug just at the last steps. Frustrated the heck out of me. Switch to calendly and it's working well, I think.

Hoping to have a mix puttering & focused day.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Go, Lynx. I wish I knew everything you know about using computers and teleconferencing.

Me - all is good for now.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:26 pm

I'm looking for inspiration today. sometimes writing is fun, and sometimes it's just work. Well, today, it's just work. I'm a bit behind with 8000 words (approximately) but that's pretty good. And I've made headway into hard stuff.

So i'm retired, and I have the whole day available. And I see myself sitting down to write, and working for an hour or two, then taking a break and digging in the back yard, then coming back to the writing. And I see myself always having the words that i want to express my ideas. And life just doesn't live up to my expectations.

There is the piece of me that has this superman - superwoman (wonder woman???) image of myself. Sometimes, I can do some pretty amazing stuff, but most of the time, I'm just ordinary, and sometimes, I'm downright lazy.

Happy everything to you all.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:31 am

Almost caught up to the Nanowrimo goal. I'm at 18000 words. You wouldn't believe how fast you can get behind if you're trying to write 1666 words per day. Besides my novel, I'm trying to finish up my mother-in-law''s memoirs. (That counts for nanowrimo also.) In fact, that's how I almost caught up to my goal.

Oops! Just realized - I haven't checked my e-mail in about four days.

Okay, happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:40 am

This is a success story. I uploaded my MIL's memoirs into a book on Create Space. Three years ago, I did the same with "The Molly Chronicles." Many rants, questions, complaints and all kinds of problems occurred during that time. It took me over a month. This time, it took me a few hours. I knew what to do with the pictures. And I didn't yell at my computer and call it names.

Square Peg, You taught me what to do with the photos, and you taught me about control j to find my downloads. So a second thank you.

The memoirs are for my family, really. I don't plan to try to sell them, and no, they're not something anyone here would be interested in reading. But I went to bed really happy knowing that I had learned something. Maybe I'll get really brave and try to get the Molly book on kindle.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:51 pm

Well done, EG! And thanks for the second thank you, too!

I was thinking about NaNoWriMo this time'round. I had dropped out in 2015 and was too world-weary to even think about attempting it last year. The fact that I considered it is an improvement.

The really cool thing is that a Special Place opened nearby that offers space to writers. (I find the library is too noisy to write in -- the librarians sometimes chat away about all sorts of inane things. And, like Elaine, I find too many other things at home to distract me from writing.)

My projects include: paid, full-time work; decluttering; yard work; learning new features in the recent versions of AutoCAD and MSOffice.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:22 pm

HI, everyone.

Typing away at 37,000.

Square Peg, Camp Nano may be a better fit for you than November nano if you want to try it.(but no pressure.) You get to set your own goal - so you can set the goal at 10,000 words, or 10 hours, or whatever. That may work better for you since you have a lot more obligations than I do. Camp is in April and July. Again no pressure. I'm enjoying Nano, but it's not everyone's thing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:03 am

Howdy,

Elaine, seems you're getting words down with a good pace this time. Really great news. Almost as though the other years left a residue of experience to draw upon.

I've been distractedly busy. Very curious, went to sleep not much tired at all and awoke tired. How does that happen?

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Hi,

I just stopped by to say hello. Just skimmed very quickly. Keep on steppin' everyone. Looks like good progress here.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Success Stories