Dec. 2017 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Dec. 2017 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:36 pm

HI, all,
Another month of committing to taking small steps towards a goal.

I'm off to a book club right now, so I'll write something inspiring when I get back.

Happy December.

"I've been on so many blind dates I should get a free dog." -- Wendy Liebman

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” -- Thomas A. Edison
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:56 am

Thanks Elaine for getting this going for December.

Main goals for the month: keep health up, keep chuggin' on my pair of main projects, keep exploring what might follow the completion of either of them.

Somewhere my bridge partner wants to play bridge. Most likely near the middle-to-end of the month.

Support you all!

Steps ahoy!

L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Dec. 2017 Daily Steppin'

Postby Lyndon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Sorry to vanish, especially from something both useful and fun.

As a sample of a tedious over-abundance of delays and details, I explained to my boss "I missed Monday because I stayed home to meet the contractors the building owners recommended. The contractors came only 40 minutes late, but after six minutes said "We need to send in a team with stronger chemicals." And left. The rest of Monday and Tuesday went to working out a Plan B and pushing it along." My boss said, "Sympathy. We're going through something of the sort at my house, wrestling with some hot water repairs."

December goal(s) is to resume the 8-minute writing sessions that worked so enjoyable before. I want to try 3 small steps rather than any BIG ones right now.

So the first day was -- productive at a lot of things. Despite that I finished my third day around 25:14 p December 1st, by a firm enough grip on the 1st and insisting "It doesn't get to be another day until I'm done with this."
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:25 am

Howdy,

The ride of my emotions goes like this: wake up, stretch toes, just lie awake and breathe as I scan across my upcoming commitments and steps. I can do this.

Get up, check for a few key emails, start tea. Still can do this.

Sit down, refine a written list. Know all items on the list take longer than I think. Yikes! I'm out of time. Clock time: 8:33.

Sigh, another day on the steps,
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

4B

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:02 pm

My literal next step today is building some tension in my breathing. I have to update my income to the Bureau.

The Bureau doesn't care about me. I know that.

The Bureau since it doesn't care, might punish first and "clear matters up" later.

Truly, it's unknown how the Bureau will act, but since it and I are not peers and equals and there's always a rule they can find or cite to put me citizen-taxpayer off-balance, or better yet in Its view, "out of compliance," I must keep careful watch on what I write, email, say, etc. Tension!!!

Yes, you can "hold my hand" as I do this step. [is there a smilie for that?]

Okay, I'm the Cowardly Lion but I have my badge for bravery, so carefully approach the Great and Punishing Bureau ....

Updates to follow,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 am

HI, all,
Good luck with projects.

My two goals are to get my MIL's memoir's finished (they didn't pass the final proofing stage.) and to get the first draft done for the sequel.

I'm staying with a friend for a few days. She's had surgery, and needs someone around for a while. So I actually have some responsibility. I haven't had much of that for a while. Bad news - while driving in San Francisco, I went through a yellow light which turned red just as I entered the intersection. And there was a camera in the intersection. Oh well!

Happy December.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

5 Bureau Update

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 am

Hi,

Awoke feeling something even larger for my life may be lifting the tent corners and looking to sneak in.

Welcome, come on it. What and who are you? Would you like to stay a while? Have some tea, tell me about yourself and your plans.

The Bureau: automatic punishing and rejecting. Once untangled though and realizing I still have out of the Bureau options, things not so bad. I'm even learning stuff, which is always a salve when needing to grind through hard and ambiguous decisions.

Today's steps: two conference calls to prep for, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. Lots of logistics to handle for an event on January. Some threads or posts I might tinker with during breaks.

Updated to the next plateau of the Mac OS system and have issues with printing and possible software miss-fits to contend with. Free upgrade? Nothing free about it in terms of stress, time, frustration, etc.

To the steps,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Here are some quotes for December:

"I've been on so many blind dates I should get a free dog." -- Wendy Liebman

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” -- Thomas A. Edison
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:34 pm

Howdy,

Lyndon, how goes the 8 minute spurts of writing? And Elaine, thanks for the quotes. It's so hard to know when to give up and when to keep at it.

I'm due for a b'day tomorrow. Funny, some years I'm pretty quiet about it, some noisy. I guess this is one of those noisy years.

Begun puttering around librivox, the free audio reading of books in the pubic domain. Started with N. Gogol's "Dead Souls" and got as far as the fourth chapter. Long enough to hear the first scene of the main quirk of the book. Stopping there, not my style now. Way too wordy, and too vague.

Then read on the Gutenberg Proejct parts of a Benchley collection of funny stories. I wasn't laughing.

Then in passing, Benchley mentioned George Ade. My family had a couple of his books around the house I read as a kid. I remember loving, them, so I started listening to his Slang Fables. I recalled his stories ended with a moral, and sure as pudding, there it is. Like finding an old friend.

I'll settle in with Mr Ade till I get bored. But as a friend said, "I've come to the conclusion that boredom is good."

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Had my first thousand-word writing day in a long time, and it's not over yet.

Work remains busy, with multiple "has to be done firsts" from each of several people. Part of my brain goes "tilt." Then I realize they don't remember all their different "Has to be done first" projects consistently, and breathing eases. Sneaking in some metaphorical fire-prevention as well as (still metaphorical) fire-fighting.

Boredom: Mentioned to a friend that I often had an enjoyment of boring activities. He responded "Do you mean 'boring' as in digging deeply into something, or 'boring' as finding interesting stuff where many people wouldn't." So of course I replied "yes."
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 am

Hope your birthday was happy, Lynx.

Me - I'm regrouping after Nano and a couple of other projects. I have some uck - it work ahead of me. How come the uck-it list never gets finished?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11 yuck lists never finishes

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:03 am

hi

Elaine, I also feel the yuck lists never dims, sleeps, falls off, or weakens. I think because there's a profit center at Yuck U that continually spins off projects for test marketing.

My own Yuck Start-Up is upgrade to latest Mac 0S. Now need to upgrade all sorts of software, some with a cost. And the printer seems to only work when it want's to. Like a government department.

Birthday, about as happy as the happier days of 2017. Took upon myself to go to bed early and slept nearly 10 hours. Then calculated that I"ve been under steady pressure (some personal, some professional, some political) since July. Just writing this draws my lids down for more sleep.

I'll heed the message.

To the pillow,
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby annieflourish » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:02 am

HI,

I was part of this type of group, charting daily steps, years ago and found it so very helpful.
I re-registered this morning and am so happy to get back to this daily (hopefully) practice.
My way is to list each goal and then chart steps that are specific to each goal.
I remember that being so very very helpful.

I look forward to learning more about you, Elaine, Lynx, and Lyndon. :)

Goals
(for me at this point, I'm counting "things I wanna get done, things I don't wanna forget about" as goals)

1. Practice talking about my business every day - even if just in the mirror - in a way which helps me become more comfortable with expanding on what I currently say.

2. Do daily embodiment practice of 15 min in morning.

3. Increase my class size for my Monday night fitness class.

4. Get a time booked with a counsellor for a couple's session with my good man before end of January.

5. Spend time 5 days a week creating attractive content for promotion of business aspects.

6. Plan workshop calendar for 2018.

7. Learn new Nia routine for Monday's class in January - so, by Jan 15th.

8. Learn routine called WILD by first Friday in January.

9. Remember each day, even if only for 5 seconds, that I want to practice being less defensive with my good man.

10. Get ready for Christmas! :)
annieflourish
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi, Annieflourish,
I hope the steps work for you. I've found it extremely helpful to write my goals the way you have.

"because there's a profit center at Yuck U that continually spins off projects for text marketing." Really good writing, Lynx. I'm impressed. I've heard of it. They have me on their list.

When I think of my list right now I want to hide.

For a list starter, I need to:
Call SIL Done
Go to the gym done
vacuum done
work on Weasel's stuff (novel writing) done
laundry done

I left off the real yucky stuff, but I need to get going on something.

Happy stepping, everyone.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby annieflourish » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Goals
(I added a few)

1. Practice talking about my business every day - even if just in the mirror - in a way which helps me become more comfortable with expanding on what I currently say.
***make little videos
***who can I talk to? get a list of people
***PRACTICE OVER DRAMATIZING

2. Do daily embodiment practice of 15 min in morning.
***use insight timer, do the 15, and then do more

3. Increase my class size for my Monday night fitness class.
Rephrase: “Make solid effort to increase the class size for Monday Nia.”
****Do regular fb posts.
****email past participants
****post little videos of songs we are doing on fb and on my website

4. Get a time booked with a counsellor for a couple's session with my good man(GM) before end of January.
***mention to GM that I would still like to do this, and acknowledge that it is an unknown, as he is going to see his sister, and is working a lot right now.
***is there any time of counsellor's calendar that looks like it might work for now.

5. Spend time 5 days a week creating attractive content for promotion of business aspects.
***Pick the 5 days, spend 1 hour in the morning creating this.

6. Plan workshop calendar for 2018.
***venues
***themes
***schedule in 4 of them

7. Learn new Nia routine for Monday's class in January - so, by Jan 15th.
****??

8. Learn routine called WILD by first Friday in January.

9. Remember each day, even if only for 5 seconds, that I want to practice being less defensive with my good man.
****Bracelets for blame, defensiveness, complaining, negativity.

10. Get ready for Christmas! :)
****what do I want to have happen?

11. Professional Development Nia
***BCRPA?

12. Get advice about websites - have 2?
***Ask consultant I worked with on Monday?

13. EA work
****Develop actual shift guidelines
***Go back to the parent's priorities.
****DBT workbook stuff.

14. Start new classes in new program guide?
****Flow&Go
****Move to Heal - seated classes

Thoughts and baby steps for goals. :)
annieflourish
New User
New User

Next

Return to Success Stories