March 2018 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

March 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Lynx » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 pm

Hello project completers ...

Another Month rolls in, March. Spring. Daylight Savings Time. Unrelenting ticking. We needn't rush or get over excited. Simply put some time on task daily, or most days, and we'll get to our finish line.

I've been reading Neil Simon's memoir Rewrites (through the death of his first wife in 1973.

Anyway, his first attempt Come Blow your Horn, is found to have promise when it opened out of town in Pennsylvania. His backers put up the minimum for the option to keep control of it, but it needed work. He drove back to Fire Island.
I awoke the next morning at 5:30 to do the thing I like best about writing. Rewriting. ... The catch is, you not only must be willing to rewrite, but you must be able to rewrite. Some writers freeze at the mention of a new sentence, word, or comma. They feel they have worked on a play or even a scene so often, there's nothing more they can say about it. This happened to me once on a play I was doing with Mike Nichols. I was stuck and stuck badly. Mike said, calmly, as usual, "Stop trying to fix what you have. Throw it out of your mind. It doens't exist anymore. Now go back and write it." When I did, I felt liberated from the obligation to fix something that wasn't working. Now I could create something that didn't have a negative history.

Much to unpack here on the attitude of looping through the work even while struggling with it is making one loopy.

Keep us in the loop and you write, rewrite, do and re-do,

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: March 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Thanks for starting March's stepping thread.

I have some fun activities coming up in March, I've been sidestepping cold germs throughout February. So far so good. I hope i don't come down with something nasty and have to cancel some of my activities. Thank you, whoever invented hand sanitizer!

Writing is going well. I'm getting a lot done, and I'm liking most of the book. But I'm not crazy about the ending which is what I'm working on now. Your quote for the beginning of the month was appropriate, and I may have to throw the whole thing out (the ending, not the whole book) and start over. i'm not sure. I'll keep writing and see where it takes me. Editing is fun when I like what I have and know exactly what I need to do to make it better. So I cut and paste and throw out sentences and add new ones, and if I can read it and feel entertained like I do when I'm reading a really good book, then I know I have swomething. When I read my writing and get bored and start thinking about doing the dishes, I know I'm in trouble.

It's yucky when the section is boring and I don't know what to do to make it better.

My other project - I want to turn my back yard, which, right now is just a yard, into a great place for parties. A project I may not complete during my life, but It's fun.

happy stepping.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:18 am

I just read a great book. "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind." I read the young-adult version, but there might be an adult version as well. It non-fiction, and a real Barbara Sher story.

Compared to this kid, we have no problems and only insignificant obstacles.
Good wishes to all.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:52 am

Hi Elaine,

I think I saw that man on the talk show circuit. He figured out how to make windmills for electrical power. Only went as far as the 8th grade, etc, in Africa (no resource part of Africa), etc. Amazing. Solved it a step a time using the reading skills from school. Once we use our reading skills it's a game changer.

He said when Harvard let him enroll that his first week there another student asked him had he heard of Google? He hadn't. Looked up 'windmill.'

"Where was this "Google" when I needed it?" he quipped.

Alas, I don't compare myself at all costs. If I did how would I ever lift a finger? I can be inspired, though.

L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:58 pm

This month and next will be devoted to financial activities, such as:

Reporting Income Taxes
Submitting School Financial Aid Documents
Reviews of Retirement Accounts
Getting Caught up on Balancing the Check Book Register
Understanding the new Stock Option Plan

Chuckling at "Looked up 'windmill'". But it also reminded me how much more inventive I felt before I had significant formal education. I wonder if he'd have been as successful after getting a degree in engineering, where you learn about power factor, load balancing and other imposing conditions that you need to design for to achieve a "proper" wind powered generator. It's like how children are such natural artists. They are blessed to know nothing of rules.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3-11

Postby Lynx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:04 am

HI,

Square Peg, you remind me of several inventors who have made great use of the naive mind. I think of Ron Popiel of Ronco infomercial infamy.

He bot his wife every kitchen gadget & waited & listened. At some point she'd say, you know what someone ought to invent ...? And off to the shop he'd go. And later to the bank.

2 dues— I'm about in the same waters, looking at my taxes. Just spent a couple of hours on them today, and it's mentally exhausting. This has to total that, this I mistyped, is that really what it cost, etc. Had to nap.

Tomorrow I'm doing something that's kind of interesting. The local bus system has restored some shuttle trips cuts 2 years ago when a supposedly better (light rail) way was opened. Ha! Screwed us locals. We yelped, and lo! some of the service is back.

So I've drafted thank you cards to the funding agency to hand out for riders to send in. I'm planning to ride the wheels and see all I can see on the shuttle.

Tomorrow is the first day of this refreshed service.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Wishing you speedy returns on your finances/taxes. I wo'n't be getting to mine for a couple of weeks. I have some other things to get done first.

We spent the weekend at a safari bed and breakfast with the kids and grandkids. It's next to a zoo, and they walk the animals past your tent, and let you feed the elephants. Way cool!

Good luck to you all.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:06 am

Pi Day, Pie Day.

Some places trying to make it a "thing" to buy pi on March 14 (3.14). Mostly you get is lines out the door (we know, we tried last year).

Elaine, the in-bound safari sound very cool.

Bus. set of taxes sent off today. Finished them Monday. I get the envelope ready and then leave it open a couple of days in case of any last minute memories.

We have no money but still spent $600 on entertainment, and on pace to spend more this year. There's a quote in nursing: sometimes a person needs a story more than food. Applies to us. Except we have food. We eat, too, after or before being entertained.
Remember on this one thing, said Badger. The stories people tell have a way of taking care of them. If stories come to you, care for them. And learn to give them away where they are needed. Sometimes a person needs a story more than food to stay alive. That is why we put these stories in each other's memories. This is how people care for themselves.

― Barry López, Crow and Weasel

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Love the quote, Lynx.

I just got back from my writers' and artists' retreat. We shared stories, songs, and other endeavers. I hope, someday, or even today, my stories find their way to someone who needs them. Likewise, to everyone who reads this, I hope your gifts find their way to those of us who need them.

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

19th

Postby Lynx » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:57 am

Howdy steppers,

Elaine, what a refreshing retreat. I feel it through the web. Someone needs our stories, sometimes ourselves since telling them leaves us changed.

My Story for Now: My next major 'performance' for my gig is a week away. People doubted we'd fill our 50 slots ... filled in less than 15 days!

Also, the promotions for the next big gig is ready, email drafted, links triple checked. I'll send these to the team today after 8 am.

Dancing with Work and Rest, Valueadding and Valueless (play) time.

No time is also a parent to invention. Necessity is the mother, the father is disputed. DNA test ordered, will be ready in 1000 years.

Maybe No Time is a sibling to invention.

L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 19th

Postby Jason » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:46 am

Lynx wrote: My next major 'performance' for my gig is a week away. People doubted we'd fill our 50 slots ... filled in less than 15 days!L

I'm curious...what is the "gig"?
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

the gig

Postby Lynx » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:22 am

Hi steppers,

Jason, I'm leading Open Space events for people to talk about leadership development in the state of WA.

Here's the invitation v.gd/Mar26_Invite

Thanks for asking,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3-21 Sprinttime in the Spring Time

Postby Lynx » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:31 am

Hi Steppers,

Every morning I get up, visit the loo, and return to bed for my 20 minute mental prep time for the day (on my more leisurely days).

Today my mind turned to a crazy next few days, condo annual meeting followed by the second of 5 critical gig days.

New Owners are raising questions long thought resolved, how my partners on the project don't intuit the appropriate actions the same as I would, no one has enough time, etc. Yikers!

Maria Irene Fornes, playwright and mentor, reminded her students that the side of ourselves ready for the work has to trick the side that would rather do anything else. Thank you Ms. Fornes. I must have 100's of scheduling tricks and tweaks. Today's tweak: recognizing that for every "work" goal over the next several days I also needed a Rest and Relaxation pairing. This adds time, but it saves a life—mine.

Lynx

Fornes quote: "You must always keep changing your process! … Because there are two of you, one who wants to write and one who doesn't. The one who wants to write has to keep fooling the one who doesn't."

Five years ago, apparently, someone rallied to get Fornes's caretaker to ... take better care of her. Worked, I guess, as she's still alive. B. 1930, so 88 in May. Go Maria!
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:02 pm

A trick that works for me. I go to an all-you-can-eat Indian restaurant with a pen and notepad, and write and nosh. (Don't worry, if he ever runs out of tables, I'll leave. For some reason, I seem to be able to come up with stuff, when I wouldn't otherwise.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3.22 So be it, so i do it

Postby Lynx » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:57 am

Up Early-ish,

Working on the blizzard of details involved with a Big Day on Monday. Saw during my meditations that the crew I'm working with seem to appreciate more explicit descriptions and requests. I'd prefer we were working more co-intuitively, like friends who can complete each other sentences. So be it, so i do it.

Plus, a bit of yuck list stuff (medical appt).

Then this afternoon working a couple of hours with my assistant. Maybe dinner later. We'll see.

L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories