May 2018 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

May 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue May 01, 2018 2:30 pm

It's May already. And this is the steppin' thread. Commit to taking steps towards achieving your goal. How many steps - that's up to you. If you post about it here, we'll cheer you on.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Thu May 03, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu May 03, 2018 12:18 am

HI,

May 3rd at that! Thanks for launching the thread this month. Keep this simple.

Biggest step: Starting with a new client this week with a couple of meetings on Friday and Monday.

Maybe for fun Thur night see some Flamenco music ... I'll need to be there early as I've heard ads on the radio for the show.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: May 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu May 03, 2018 1:55 pm

So I was very lazy starting May's stepping thread.

Sometimes when we're steppin' right along, everything is groovy (as in we're in a groove, and good things just keep happening) and we really don't need any encouragement. I wish all of us have lots and lots of these times.

But, for me at least, a lot of my steps are accompanied by doubt - my demon, my little green man, the voice that keeps asking what the heck I think I'm doing.

Now, I'm all for caution. There are certain risks that really aren't worth taking. But if the only consequence is that I'll look foolish, or that I'll use up a few hours of my retirement time that could have been spent watching TV, well, that's a chance worth taking.

So, steppers, have fun, keep steppin, and hang on to your sense of humor.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first misstep. Aaron J. Shay

."People never know what's going on while it's happening. You think, during the Renaissance, people called it 'The Renaissance'?" -- Anne Meara

"Why is it when we talk to God we're said to be praying, but when God talks to us we're schizophrenic?" -- Lily Tomlin
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Capcha

Postby Lynx » Fri May 04, 2018 7:45 am

Ha! A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first misstep. Aaron J. Shay

Good idea to keep it quote in flow. I heard it at a music concert.

I've been exploring variations like

A journey of a thousand miles begins with having to start over because you forgot something. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri May 04, 2018 9:02 pm

Thanks for the quote, Lynx, I gave credit to Aaron Shay, but I should have mentioned you as well.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri May 04, 2018 9:06 pm

Feeling very punk today. I have a cold/flu and have zero energy. I checked my biorhythm a minute ago, and it agrees. I'm about as low as you can get. Hmmm.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun May 06, 2018 12:42 pm

My camp Nanowrimo friends felt tha the Sher boards are too open, so we won't get any new people here that way. SIgh!
Me, I still feel punk. Hope I get some energy back soon.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

speaking of Nanowrimo

Postby Lynx » Wed May 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm coping with a debt incurred from Nanowrimo a couple of years ago. I befriended a fellow writer and he helped me a lot with my essay. He, in turn, has written a horror novel and I'm tasked now with combing out the grammar/spelling errors.

He does some things the grammar checker flags, but he's so consistent I'm coding it as part of his style and letting them ride. This particular genre is not my favorite so I'm doling out the work in pieces, a bit every day.

That's what I'm doing next.

Spent the day working up a new group activity that I'll debut next Wednesday.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu May 10, 2018 1:11 pm

I guess I'm making progress. I cleaned up a couple of difficult parts of my novel, so I guess that's good - even though it was just one tiny bit.

Lynx, You''re proofing someone's work? I hope you're getting some $$$$ for that.

EVerything is progressing very slowly - gardening, writing.

And I have a third project. My grandson is really smart. He's in a Montesori school, which means that he works at his own pace, which means the teachers are running out of work to give him. The kid is a science nerd (I mean that in the kindest best way possible - I'm a science nerd too.) So I'm going to give him biology lessons. THat meas lesson plans. You have to know that I was a teacher once - for a year. I was terrible at it. So I decided to find another way to make a living and let the people who are good at it have my place in acedemia. We're going to try three lessons. one every two weeks, with work he can do on his own - either at school or at home. If it works out, I'll keep the lessons going next year. if the project crashes and burns, well, so be it. i figure for this to be a success, and worth continuing three things must happen. 1. nothing should explode, catch fire or die. 2. It should be interesting most of the time. and 3. He should learn something - achieved stated goals. So with that, i'm off to writing lesson plans.

To the page and the test tube!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat May 12, 2018 8:39 pm

How folks,

Good luck with the tutoring/mentoring efforts, Elaine. might try to letting him pick what to learn and the two of you work on it together.

I got through a very tense period where I thought I might quit a gig and a new one started up! A potential for a big increase in the expense of our siding project surfaced today. We'll have to see what the tests show & cope.

Mostly prep for a workshop on Wed over the weekend with periodic breaks.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed May 16, 2018 4:14 pm

My energy level is still really low. And I hate my novel. Or at least the part I'm working on right now. I may have to just cut about thirty pages. Not sure.

I'm tired of working in my garden, and I want the weeds to just stop growing for about two weeks. I'm tired of always doing the heavy uninteresting part. Actually I'd probably feel better if I did a whole bunch of heavy work. I loaded fresh line into my weedwacker, and used it all up in about a half hour. What's up with that?

I need something wonderful to happen to me.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Marina Kingston » Thu May 17, 2018 11:56 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:My energy level is still really low. And I hate my novel. Or at least the part I'm working on right now. I may have to just cut about thirty pages. Not sure.

I'm tired of working in my garden, and I want the weeds to just stop growing for about two weeks. I'm tired of always doing the heavy uninteresting part. Actually I'd probably feel better if I did a whole bunch of heavy work. I loaded fresh line into my weedwacker, and used it all up in about a half hour. What's up with that?

I need something wonderful to happen to me.

You need a change of atmosphere ... You need new emotions ... You need rest! ))
Marina Kingston
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu May 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi, Marina, I'm glad you found us.

Okay, so here's my encouraging thought for today. I was working on biology lesson plans for my grandson and I came accross CArl Woos. In 1976, he discovered archeae, bacteria that came from a different evolutionary line from other bacteria, and, in fact, from all other living things. He suggested placing them in a separate domain. It took him about ten years of research to come to this conclusion. His work wasn't taken seriously until 1990. So 35 years of work before anyone gave him any credit. Yeesh! I can't imagine hanging in for that long. TAlk about delayed gratification.

The encouraging part of that is that if Carl Woos could keep going for thirty-five years or thereabouts, surely I can manage a year or two.

Lynx, good luck with your workshop.

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

external and internal

Postby Lynx » Sat May 19, 2018 8:56 am

Hi steppers,

Yes, Welcome Marina. Share some steps and goals when it feels right.

About recognition etc. Mr Woos himself likely had other and varied streams of gratification. Galileo, who endured the opposite fate of having his insights attacked as heresy and his person imprisoned by non other than the Inquisition in Rome, still mumbled under his breath as he left "E pur se muove" (“Nevertheless, it moves.”).

It's nice to get external approval but if that is our key for gratification we're at the mercy of the whims of cultural fashions. Some great ideas are not "accepted" by those that count for doing the accepting till after the originator's death. Like Woos and Galileo, to be confidently within our own knowing of the truth is an unshakeable satisfaction.

My own case in small ways show this up every day. I'm walking with my partner and we come to a corner to find a store. I know it's to the left, she thinks it's to the right. I say, you go right, and I'll turn left, and I'll wait for you." We get to the corner and she looks both ways, sees going left is correct, and we find the store. I wasn't about to go along with her and turn right. Why? If I did, what inner message to myself about my own feelings am I delivering?

I find in the Stoicism thread on Reddit a lot of discussion on ways to cultivate that well-built self-confidence. It really helps me get ready for the work I do which is often moving new ways of working and thinking along with a group of people.

Today I got up and looked at three books that are due soon. And instantly I knew what to do: ready the conclusions near the back of the books. Did that, marked some other books they referenced to check out, and now these are ready to be returned. And it's not even 9 am.

Goals today: find a few files to send to new client and enjoy an annual street fair and also the farmers market!

Step merrily,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat May 19, 2018 10:03 pm

And so many others. Right now I'm thinking of Nelson Mandela and MLK, and what they put up with.

As for me - yes - I have, at times, stood up for what I believed to be true when it wasn't the prevailing opinion, but, boy is it hard! And I'm a sucker for external validation.

My writers'' group was a lot of fun, and I'm starting to get some energy back. I had the flu and it dragged and dragged. Anyway, miniscule steps.

And I think I can say it here - I want someone very important to say, "Yes, this is wonderful literature."

Okay, back to the real world, and to little steps. And Barbara Sher is right about isolation being the dream killer. I've been by myself for a while trying not to spread the bug. Here's hoping I get a big dose of inspiration in the coming days.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories