July 2018 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

July 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Lynx » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:35 am

Hi friend,

This thread is for everyone. Post here about your projects, challenges, successes, disappointments, etc. Post about what helps and what hinders. We offer eyes (and ears) for venting, cheers, and all else in-between. The more we participate here the more it benefits others and ourselves.

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking. W B Yeats

Let's keep going,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: July 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:08 pm

I can't believe it's already July. But I guess I say that every month. Thanks for starting the thread.

I like your last June post.

I hope I'm not repeating myself here - we had a fun science project with the grandkids - putting mentos into a bottle of diet coke. it shot up about ten feet.

Our next project is the amazing expanding and shrinking egg - per request of my daughter. you dissolve the shell in vinegar leaving the membrane holding the egg together. The egg is bigger after the shell is dissolved due to osmosis - water from the vinegar enters the egg. Then you put the egg into corn syrup, and the egg shrinks. Again osmosis - water moves out of the egg and into the corn syrup.

Re writing - I'm working on editing some areas that are really hard to write (hard for me anyway) so the whole thing is going slowly. (Can you say molasses in winter?)

Happy steppin' or oozing slowly, everyone.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:55 am

July 2018 daily stepping forum

Sorry to vanish – especially without at least waving goodbye. But things are now getting substantially better than “silver linings” phase.

The ominous cloud is that my 87-year-old mother needs somewhat more help than she thinks. Good news includes that she is having a lot more fun than most 87-year-olds – and her father made it to 101.

We had been hoping and planning to move up to Washington state to be closer to her – and a brother with very varied health problems. This pushed it from “sometime next decade” to “Now! – or at least in months rather than years.”

It’s a big help that this happened just after I turned 62. Lots of help with “senior” in it that would not have been available to me last year.

We’ve been having interesting archaeology going through storage, with lots of “Oooh! Aaahs!” of delight. And carloads of donations of clothes and books.

U-box shipping containers come tomorrow morning (Tuesday), – loaders that evening, and containers will be whisked away just after high noon 4th of July. We hit the road Friday, to arrive (with visits along the way to Diane’s kids and grandkids) in Seattle Monday.

Eventually not having 10 hours/week of commute, and a couple thousand hours a year in someone else s’ offices, should yield more writing.

July goal is to spend an hour a day (this time for sure!) on Barbara Sher’s I COULD DO ANYTHING IF I JUST KNEW WHAT IT WAS book club. I have years of practice reading and not doing the exercises, – and review with a good fun online group could be useful.

Also started Camp Nanowrimo for July, knowing that I’d have at least days of driving to distraction (well, Seattle.)

Looking forward to seeing what I’ve been missing after we finish this road trip.

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lyndon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 am

Elaine: Science projects sound wonderful.

Without needing to wait for winter, you can have a molasses-meter for time passing slowly by trying this approach "Time passed --- like molasses through an hourglass."
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:26 pm

Welcome back, Lyndon,

I love the image of molasses through an hourglass. (So go the days of our lives.) You must be a writer.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi folks,

Welcome to Seattle Lyndon! I live here, so if you'd like to connect sometime after you get you Sea-legs, drop a Private Msg.

I have a very cool super lightweight back pack I use every day. It's developed a tiny hole. Emailed the company and though it's out of warranty (just over a year since I bot it) they said send it and they'll repair it.

Worked with my genius of an assistant today at a distant campus I only visited once for a day trip. Rode my bike back on the old RR track (Burke-Gilman trail). About 12 miles. Stopped off at a small mall for a delicious Indian/Nepalese lunch buffet. Didn't know it was even there.

It was interesting keeping to the trail at first because I wasn't sure. At one point it changed sides of the street with no markings. A friendly chap set me on the right path again.

Bike riding a half-marathon took no pre-training at all. Have runners heard about bikes?

L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Lyndon, I'm wishing happy days for you and your mother. She's lucky that you're able to pack up and be with her. I hope you enjoy Seattle.

I hope I don't jinx anything, but it looks as if none of the steppers are facing yucky challenges. Let't hope for mellow days for us all.
I worked for seven hours and got a lot of editing done today. I spent the afternoon at Sizzlers nibbling and editing. Got a lot done that way.

Happy Fourth everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:59 am

11,000 words.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:08 am

HI steppers,

11,000 words Elaine. That's terrific.

I just let my day dribble away. Got a loaf of bread and 2 packs of markers to replace the dead or missing ones I lose when out doing what I do. Sat in the university's garden and read for a bit, etc. Took a nap and now dibbling a few minutes alone late at night.

Tomorrow meeting with friends @ 12:30 and probably back to the grind.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:03 am

Hi,

Buddy (Chihuahua) got bitten by a rattlesnake. We're waiting to see if he makes it. it's not my favorite breed of dog, but Buddy has a ton of character. He doesn't know he's small. and he had a terrible childhood and young adult hood. He was a pretty sad dog until Tom adopted him. (not Tom's favorite breed, either.) He's about 15 which is old for a dog, but not for a Chihuahua. and he was in excellent health. Got in trouble chasing squirrels - stuck his nose in the wrong squirrel hole.

Me - writing slowed down. I was working on a difficult part yesterday, and got 0 words for three hours of work. Hope something comes out of that.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:48 am

Hi steppers,

Whoa! Sending recovery/antidote vibes to you & Buddy.

Why isn't this word "antidose?"

From what I can see on the I-net with quick attention from a Vet you have a living chance.

Otherwise: write well.

A couple of days easing off the intense self-pressure of the past few weeks. At least for my morning routines. Looking to get engaged with creative work more later today.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 pm

The vet thinks Buddy will make it. He needs another transfusion, and, of course, $$$$ since this was the emergency pet center. Buddy is one tough Chihuahua. (really annoying word to spell.) Anyway, thanks for the healing thoughts. Now, I have to get a hold of the credit card company, to let them know to expect a large charge. I'm getting busy signals. It's a Saturday.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:45 am

Hi,

Finished a milestone yesterday (the final coding of notes from information gathering events are complete). Done.

More to go, natch, but allowing a fallow day before I 'release' this to the larger group and work out the next set of steps.

Back to finding lists useful. I would like to put my attention on my current "hardest thing" for 3 hours as soon as I wake up. This is my best efforts zone. Most days with eating, dressing, working around other people's needs, etc. I accept 90 minutes as OK.

I also find keeping a side project or two in play with no serious impacts or benefits a place to let myself ease out of serious intensity for a few minutes. Lately I made another in a series of wallets for myself. For the past 6 or 7 years I've made them from juice wrappers from Trader Joe. This is one tough plastic, very thin and light. It made terrific wallets which lasted about a year. I interlayer aluminum to foil Radio Frequency IDentification theft.

Last time the cover material was a gun control bumper sticker. Lasted about 9 months.

Over time, I've found a design that works for me, so I'm making the current one with leather, tyvek, and aluminum. Even splurged $2.60 on new wheat colored thread for my leather awl.

The result is about quarter of an inch too short on both sides. Totally functional and I like the texture of the scrap leather (70¢) I found. This might last several decades.

Just skimmed an AARP newsletter article on 99 ways to save $. They had a lot of Do It Yourself suggestions. If I ever pull together a WikiHow on this I'll send them the link.

Now I have to get busy filling it with greenbacks,

L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:14 am

Way to go, Lynx.

Buddy's going to the vet today. He looks fine, but there's blood in his urine. So he may still be in trouble. Apparently, snake venom keeps the blood from clotting, so Buddy was bleeding internally. Tom said he was in shock and badly bloated when he got the dog to the vet (when he first got bitten, not today). Anyway, fingers crossed.

Re writing - little bit at a time. I accidentally cut about thirty pages from the novel, and almost closed the document without pasting them back in. Fixed it. Whew!

Everything else, gardening, writing, science classes with the grandkids are all going by baby steps.

I have some fun stuff coming - lunch with a friend, writing group. We're going to see "Yellow Submarine" tonight.

Project for the next couple of hours is to fix the mess caused by cutting and pasting in the wrong place.

In my mind, I'm a genius. In my mind, I could finish the novel in about three days. Then I could do three days worth of marketing and a publisher would find me, and publish me, and I'd be on my way. Imagination is a wonderful thing. Reality is something else.

Happy stepping, everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:36 pm

23,000 words.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster