October 2018 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

October 2018 Daily Steppin'

Postby Lynx » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:09 am

Without doing anything special, October rolls right in.

"There are no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something." Thomas Edison

Drop a rule, tweak it, distort it, do whatever you need to accomplish something. Let us know how it's going, what sucks, what interferes, what greases the gears.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9-30 Look Ahead

Postby Lynx » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:17 am

Hi,

This month looking to keep gigging.

But also have some other promises to keep.

One is helping my assistant learn how to use the grants center at the library to look up grant support.

Another is blocking out 2 Days Running for a deeper rest away from other cares.

One is Stoic Week, starts on 10/1.

One is pick my Medicare Advantage Plan.

One is researching/installing a new hot water heater.

And moving the pieces in all other messes that entangle my time.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

1 medicare (dis)advantage

Postby Lynx » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:12 am

Down to probably one company. A minor questions re: acupunture coverage ... is my A. Dr in their network?

and will they honor their agreements and pay up? The basic tactics of the insurance companies is fraud, delay, and frustrate their paying customers. On one hand I guess I want all the 'benefits' I'm buying, but I don't want it returned with an attitude and frustration and long phone calls.

On a different front. Looking at my time for a two day unplug. Maybe an overnight in a nearby town via airbnb or a hostel.

Also calculated how many days I've been emotionally carrying the siding project. Since about March 2011 ... by our next annual meeting in March 2019 that will be 8 years. Or 2929 days. Too long and messy a haul.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: October 2018 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:49 am

Thanks for starting October, Lynx.

Good wishes for all your grants and gigs.

The quote you picked is interesting, because there times for following rules and times for breaking them. With my writing, now is a time for breaking them. I start sentences with and and but. I use contractions, I end sentences with prepositions. Stick that in your Funk and Wagnalls!

I deleted an amazing amount of garbage from my computer, so I think that solved the freezing problem. And yes, I back up my work periodically, so I can't lose too much.

Happy steppin' to anyone reading this.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:28 am

The all-you-can-eat Indian restaurant near my house closed. Rats! I've done some of my best writing there.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

6 closed place

Postby Lynx » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:29 pm

Hi Elaine,

your restaurant was one of the 'third places' outside of our homes, work, there' are third places where we get comfortable or do work. Hope something better takes its place.

I'm exploring 'deep rest' or thoro rest. Not even sure what that is, so following my instincts as I go. Right now, lots of naps and shifts in attentions as soon as I lose interest in what I'm doing.

Drawing a curtain on the rest tonite, tho, because I have to address a project tomorrow.

Looking ahead, I wanted to find a retreat place nearby for an overnight. Researched 4, 0 will work. One is too costly. Two are closed or closing. The last only allows day passes for individuals.

Hotels, bnb s, etc, too expensive.

instead, think I'll spend the day at a Pure Land Buddhist temple and walk the 3 miles home if the weather is not too nasty.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

8 Where do I go?

Postby Lynx » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:55 am

Hi,

Having an interesting moment of intellectual work. I am reading Kate Briggs's This little art at the same time I'm reading Ted Chiang's short story: The story of your life. Each has to do with "translation"—Briggs's about literature; Chiang's about alien-human communication. Chiang's story was made into a sci-fi movie in 2016: Arrival.

So now, an interested outsider to the art of translation, to sci-fi and even the movie (haven't seen it), I still want to see what other people have and are saying about all this. I will spend a few moments to see where I might land.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

8 Siding project shuts down

Postby Lynx » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi,

One 8-yr goal, support my condo getting new siding, is shut down. The latest estimate is too high. The board agreed that were that to happen to shut down the project, end the one contract we have and the calculate how much to return to the owners.

There's going to be tension, blaming, hurt feelings, etc. What's new?

Both numb and somewhere relieved the results are clear. Reiki trade tonight and this will be my issue to resolve.

Dang!

L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:32 am

So a couple of bad days. Challenge #1 A couple of days ago. I'm out in the back yard when I see this really spectacular insect. It's a wasp, very black, long hairy antennae, and a shiny orange abdomen (insect butt). I tell my husband that he will want to see it. He does. It's wrapped around a katydid that's just a little bigger than the wasp. "That's a tarantula hawk, says Tom (husband) Their sting paralyzes spiders but doesn't kill them. Then the tarantula hawk lays it's eggs in the spider, and the larvae feed off of the spider. Nature is really nasty! I don't mind having one wasp in the back yard, but a whole nest full of these things! No thanks! The wasp is dragging the katydid towards artificial grass. Tom tells me that the katydid will shrivel up in the grass, and the young won't survive. And the spider wasp will fly away. She's already gone, he says. Sometimes husbands tell their wives what they think the wives want to hear.

I get on the Internet and start researching spider wasps. It's actually not a tarantula wasp but something similar. Tarantula hawks are all black; they don't have an orange abdomen; and what was she doing with a katydid? She should have been attacking a spider. (her treatment of the katydid was brutal.)

More internet research: If you get stung by a tarantula hawk, you should lie down and scream, because the sting is so painful that you won't be able to walk straight or think straight. Oh . . . Also, the adult digs a burrow in the ground where she deposits the spider with her eggs inside. She only eats nectar, but she feeds insect to her young larvae. (That explains the katydid.)

Apparently, there's also something called a cicada wasp which doesn't look like the one I found. But it would be more likely to attack a katydid.

I am an environmentalist, and I don't like to use bug spray, but for a nest of spider wasps, I'm willing to make an exception. The most logical place for her nest is below the lavender and salvia bushes. But honeybees and hummingbirds really like those bushes. Is there a way? I will call Orkin . . . which brings me to challenge # 2

Challenge # 2 My phone won't accept a charge. i took it to the cell phone hospital and the tech cleaned out the port, but the phone still won't charge. He's taking it apart for a deeper cleaning. if that doesn't fix it, I have to buy a new battery, a new port, or a new phone. Fixing the old one will take about a week.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

wild kingdom

Postby Lynx » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:03 am

Hi Elaine and other Steppers,

Whew! Danger, Danger! Indeed. Plus, natch, the phone's on the brink of failing you.

Keep us posted. These are those legendary Steps that Intrude While Making Other Plans

I allowed myself a day of errands and general idling. Today, at least the morning, I have a stack full of things to attend to.

The way I feel it, i have my plans for the day, and the Day has its.

Then we dance,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 am

Bought a new phone. and - challenge # 3 picked up a package at the UPS locker (third time was the charm.)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:27 am

It sounds as if you had a nice day, Lynx. Thanks for sharing - I needed that. We little old ladies don't fare well with modern tech.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

re tech

Postby Lynx » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:45 am

Hi steppers,

Ah, new fangled fones. I have a Virgin Mobile flip phone. Figured out how to keep my phone bill to under $10 a month. ... This phone takes incoming calls and text and costs about $8/mo. Out calls and text I do with an online text sending app for text and Google hangouts for the calls. $Free. I also check my messages for free using Google hangout.

This is my third. One failed and I had a struggle of a time getting my balance back from the company. At one point called the CEO's office. I figured what I was owed ($64) came to about a minute of his time in his annual "compensation package." His staff handled it very swiftly.

Once it was lost (fell out of my pocket). I called and called and finally whoever had it answered. He failed to meet me twice. So I somehow got VM to shut down that phone (I forget how they did that). I was very nervous about the people I had listed in my contacts. After that I started using the 'lock' function where I hadn't bothered before. The replacement phone was under $10.

Now this one. Probably it's 8th year. Going strong. It seems flip phones are having a bit of a comeback, so I should have more options to pick from when this one goes off to Fone Heaven.

Lynx

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ten-reaso ... one-world/
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10-15

Postby Lynx » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:25 am

Last morning of my super rest staycation. Slept 10.5 hours!! From 10:30 to 9.

Crawling slowly back in to full effort on several projects, beginning today. But first, a walk.

2. Looking at applications due for grants.
3. Making appointments (kept this activity to a min. during my staycation).
4. Picking up some work next steps.
5. Filling out an official form. Another Next Hardest Thing step.
6. Reading some complex philosophy (Barthes, in trans. by Kate Briggs).
7. Taking in some sales.
8. Maybe buying myself a treat.
9. Mail a check.

The key goal is getting to these applications.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:40 am

An ambitious list. Here's to you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories