December 2018 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

December 2018 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:36 am

Another month, another chance to work towards our goals. Commit to taking steps each day towards your goal. How many steps - that's up to you. We'll cheer you on.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp or what's a Heaven for? - Robert Browning
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

12/1 Made it!

Postby Lynx » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:12 am

Hi World!

I'm officially covered by Medicare as of a couple of minutes ago. My very safe and undramatic daily count down from 60 days of self-coverage is over.

While self-covered I looked both ways twice before crossing busy streets, used a pocket LED tiny-torch to alert drivers while crossing streets at nite, and grabbed knives, matches, and any other hazard with extreme caution.

Interesting, not much different than my normal self-awareness & self-care.

Now that the rotation of the earth has gotten that dispensed with, next up is not very much while I await for our contract folks to contact us.

More waiting, meanwhile I will volunteer to review a Panto play if still available and also volunteer to be a session monitor at a conference in two weeks.

Only wish that there was a way to turn off the mail deluge that opens with eligibility for Medicare.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: December 2018 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:43 pm

Health insurance is a wonderful thing. I'm happy for you.

I had to read the Medicare booklet about four times before I understood most of it. Good luck.

I'm staying off line tomorrow.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi World,

I'm all set with Medicare Advantage, so-called, which has it's own mail deluge. I'd rather less mail and that they covered acupuncture, massage, Korean spas, and new walking shoes every couple of years.

Kept busy today with 2 dual flush toilet installations (no I didn't do them). The plumber charged $85 for first 1/4 hour, then $55 a 1/4 hr after that. We will get a rebate of a couple of $100. Hope this works well for a couple of decades.

Also dropped off my beloved bright blue winter jacket for repairs. Est is under $52.

Feeling a strong urge to spend more money. Take a lot of time talking myself out of spending it as really there is no predicting when the major contract will fire on.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Keep resisting. It's a good thing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

5th

Postby Lynx » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi World,

My feeble brain is deflated from the hard work of getting my writing back into action on this project. We negotiated that I can get back involved even if it moves my total fees past our limits. Good thing, to, as the client had 6 weeks between conference calls and produced nothing. Except the assistant is resigning (with some contract hours to keep working on this project).

I get into something called a 'role lock' with Client where I want to focus in and he wants to escape into more reviews by outsiders, or not really crediting as accomplished the work we've accomplished. So, really, my emotional work is doubled (the work and the bickering to move forward).

Doing bits and pieces on how to ease away from role lock but know nothing is ever as easy or simple as in the books.

Still, no hassles—no job.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:48 am

Improvements and Time Warp

Got a bunch done in November, except not so much what I planned. Started a short term job as a "Casual Mail Handler Assistant" at the post office for the holiday flood. It starts at 4 AM, which is convenient for being able to make afternoon appointments without taking time off for work. And it is a good-enough-for-now job.

For most of the last 40+ years a lot of my weekdays were spent sitting in offices or sitting in traffic and being Too Tired afterwards to do much else.
This however pays me to exercise, lift weights, and stay on my feet all shift. I can stand for this.

We'll be able to throw money at some problems -- and the contract is set to end January 4th.
Until then "8-minute writing habit" exercises, that were fun and helpful first time around.

Lynx_ Congrats on undramatic Medicare waiting period.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

6th

Postby Lynx » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi folks,

Lyndon, a 4 AM start!? Must be might quiet on the roads. Love all the positives you find in this work and you get paid to boot!

Yesterday I took a peek at my upcoming credit card balance, early $4k. And we pay it out each months. Yet, we have 1/ a new 15 yr warranty hot water heater, 2/ two (2) new low-flush toilets, 3/ a new mattress pad for our high-end bed (heavenly so far), and 4/ several delightful meals out.

So for three weeks we get to use them 'free' before the collector comes calling.

Found this great quote in Steven Dietz's 'Lonely Planet' playscript about a couple of friends enduring the losses of the AIDS crisis. One takes on helping his buddies with their bills (seemingly after they'd died).

"I have a stack of bills here. ...
"And now it's time for the stamp. And what kind of stamps do I attach to these things I don't want to mail? Little flowers. Birds. Cuddly animals and smiling poets. I attach stamps that say love, and peace, and joy.
"This sends the wrong message.
"I want stamps that say: HERE'S YOUR F**KING MONEY, NOW SHUT UP."

Yup,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:27 am

Lyndon, congrats on everything. concerning nano, you have to know that less than what you hoped for is a lot.
And four in the morning isn't my best time, but I hope it works for you.
When I worked haz mat, I had to carry a pager, and we frequently got called out in the middle of the night. I hated getting woken up at night, but I loved the feeling of being up when everyone else is asleep, and stepping outside into the fresh air. Do you know the feeling.

Lynx, I appoint you postmaster general in charge of designing stamps. I'm considering designing a stamp such as the one you mentioned, and pasting it next to the real stamp. Maybe someone will get a chuckle.

Me, I need a restaurant to replace my all-you-can-eat Indian restaurant. Sizzlers is the closest I can come to it. We have Chinese and pizza ayce (all you, etc.) but they're not the same, because, for some reason, the writing doesn't get done there. I get a some work done at Sizzlers, but not as much as I'd like.

Well, happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

8 7:12 am

Postby Lynx » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:26 am

Got a new mattress topper and I'm up, rested, after 6 hours. Hm.

Going to review a Panto play tonight. Local troupe that writes their show and partners with a local band which writes music. They tour to the Oregon Country Fair each summer and winter over in Seattle with a 3 week run.

Panto is a British entertainment experience performed before a live audience. Said audience is encouraged to talk back, sing along, and warn the hero of the lurking villain behind his back. A shortened word from pantomime, there is way more words and singing than I expect from a mime show. History traces back to Greece.

I've intentionally left a few paragraphs of the history to read today to get me in the peak mood.

I have a couple of psych tests to take for a course on neuroscience and a couple of videos on group facilitation to review before I step into the cold to visit the farmers market and treat myself to a solo birthday gourmet biscuit (with maybe a bacon, egg, and exotic cheese).

Elaine, I understand about finding the right working conditions. It can be the last turn in opening a combination lock—voila! whole new streams of creativity flow out. Seems you want open access to nibbles and some general activity around you. Keep searching.

My tea is ready, to the page, Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:47 am

My seasonal short-term job title is “Casual Mail Handler Assistant” at the Yakima Post Office. Learning experience. One of the amusements is using a large piece of equipment a few minutes per hour that relocates several hundred pounds of mail from pallets to conveyor belt for human sorting into appropriate hampers for the next stage of its journeys.

The increase in parcels has helped offset the decline in first class mail. Last year one office that used to get 50,000 or so envelopes on December 26th got 20,000. However another office in a small town that was down to 4 hours a day of open lobby was busy seven days a week in December delivering Amazon parcels. The USPS turns out to be very cost-effective for Amazon and UPS to use for the last-mile delivery. And this is a welcome boost to their revenue for a hectic month.

And I’m getting paid to exercise at work. Starting at 4 AM currently – which is actually convenient for being able to schedule appointments without needing time off from work. It also gives some time to ponder questions such as what the difference or connection between “hamper” the large container noun is and “hamper” the hindering verb is. But too tired after work to look it up so far.

“Casual Mail Handler Assistant” also gives me opportunity to think of a “Formal Mail Handler Assistant” in top-hot and tails doing a Fred Astaire tap-dancing routine around the main post office processing center.

Useful gig, though I don’t expect to be greatly nostalgic when it ends in a very few weeks.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

12-12-18 Failed Improv

Postby Lynx » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:13 am

When I'm in conversation with just one person I try a good deal of humor, exaggeration, metaphor, self-deprecation, puns, etc. I'm discovering to my full dismay that a majority of the peeps I'm around don't play along.

So I pop out of flowing improv to remind them that in a friendly conversation between buddies nothing I say need to be taken as factual, as literally true, as truth is not my goal, but mutual entertainment.

But with that pop-out I'm deflated. My social energy dials down to their apparent level and I flatten out my affect. Dullsville buddy.

The odd thing, they typically don't seem to mind that I've down shifted. They just go along as themselves, not raising their energy nor loosening their grips on literal truth.

I suspect for these folks that they hold no theory of talk. They have no frame in themselves of what the two of us are engage in and what range of speech and gesture would enhance our mutual time towards the memorable and entertaining. They are checking what I say against standards like "facts" or "truth" or something found in classrooms, courts, or investigative reporting. My statement clearly fails the truth test and they feel compelled to point that out and save me from further fiction and lies.

Funny isn't it that these same people like stand up comics, novels, theater, etc. where the weird stuff happens. I think part of the difference is in those settings they are passive and aren't expected to respond and if they dislike or don't understand something either they are alone or among a crowd of other who will hide their outlier status. But all those performances are doing what I am bringing to them in their living, breathing, interactive experience.

My dilemma to resolve is when I dial down I feel the fun of the conversations dies. When I keep trying, they either fail to respond or keep trying to dial the content back to some idea of factual, literal, or true. This frustrates me, the opposite of fun.

The factual, literal, and true is such a small narrow swatch of existence that I feel alone with my imagination but to really imagine more I enjoy the fun of wordplay, mutual extensions. In the motto of improv performance, "Yes, and."

We become just two people seeming to speaking the same language but since our motives and native styles so diverge we might concede that we that we're actually not speaking the same language at all.

And that's the truth.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Success Stories