April 2019 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

writing endings 4-8-19

Postby Lynx » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Hi artist of life, the poets & inspiration for all cultures.

Just read that E Hemingway rewrote the last page of A Farewell to Arms 41 times before he "got the words right." His son, Sean H. found 47 endings for a new edition in 2012.

I wonder if it's like Edison's observation that you have to slog through 10,000 things that don't work to finally zero in on the one that does.

Fail small, fail often. Succeed by degrees & fits while training your intuition to register the subtle vibes of those pesky words, got right.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

red x every day

Postby Lynx » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 am

Hi steppers,

Still holding to Seinfeld's method of never-miss-a-day. I call it now "Red-X, everyday." The start was fun. Now in the not nearly finished Middle.

My most dreaded part of the work. This is where Mz Miss gathers her strength and urges, cajoles, coos, etc. to get me to miss a day.

I'm tempted cuz I'm tired. It's been a good run. I can always pick it up tomorrow. Or even, take two days, who's watching? Not like this is an external deadline.

Now the inward summoning. The eyes on Mz Miss. Who are you? Leave me be. I have work to do. Daily. If you can't be disMissed, Well, step out of my studio.

Devil you cant fool me,
hiding behind that tree.
Devil you cant fool me,
trying to get the jump on me.

So, I remain, pressed to the chair, tired, yet working yet,

To the page,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: April 2019 Daily Steppin'

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:03 pm

Elaine, did you finish writing the book you were working on when I was here a year ago?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 am

Hi, Inspire,

Almost finished the book.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

4-10 Move the Open Time

Postby Lynx » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:19 am

Hi,

On my way to my second class on using my new ipad. AND, as always, I have work to do. Technique I'm doing today is "move the open time."

The work right now is marking up a paper draft. Easy to do anyplace. So, leisurely I'll get dressed and get out the door. Check-in at the Apple Store, then get to work till class starts. No squeezing in yet another paragraph or puzzling over how to score something while the clock ticks down. No mad dash wondering if I forgot something.

Also, found a used sleeve by Targus bags yesterday at the university surplus. $1. Score!

Now, git!
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: writing endings 4-8-19

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:36 am

Lynx wrote:
I wonder if it's like Edison's observation that you have to slog through 10,000 things that don't work to finally zero in on the one that does.

Fail small, fail often. Succeed by degrees & fits while training your intuition to register the subtle vibes of those pesky words, got right.

Thanks for that, Lynx. I needed to hear that today. I signed up for Barbara's one email a day for $96 per year. Turns out each email is one sentence. I got my money refunded. Why read that when I can read what Lynx posts!

I'm putting "Fail small; fail often" up on my wall today! My goal now is to fail at least once a day! If I can do that, it means I'm moving ahead with what I want to do with my life.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:03 am

I just printed out a sign for my wall that says:

FAIL SMALL
FAIL OFTEN
What can I
fail at today?
[/size]

What a relief to have the goal of failing at something! Always expecting success from myself when I do things is exhausting and keeps me from doing things. I think this saying is liberating!

I feel excited about making failure my goal! How fun! I'm going to go fail at something right now!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:28 pm

I'm starting Wishcraft again because I really don't know what my dreams are anymore. Actually, I just don't believe they're achievable anymore.

I don't want to journal write on my own. What forum could I write about my journey? I know this website is dead doo-doo at this point but I'd like to post my journey and thoughts anyway. Someone might wander by and find them interesting or useful.

Which forum?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:34 pm

I think you can pick any forum that you think fits.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

4-11-19 Fail small fail often

Postby Lynx » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:55 am

Hello steppers,

IS, I'm glad my comment sparked something. I think a lot about this because my work is getting people out of their seats, off their duffs, on their feet, sleeves rolled up, etc. Etc.

So I wonder, what's the force holding them back, down, away, etc.

If it were one cause and I could market snake oil for it I'd be set. But it aint.

If you're curious, Stanford University's Resilience Project collects 'failure stories' and celebrates them every year. My local University of Washington has picked up the idea and ever so often hosts a night of failure stories where invited local celebs confess to their failure moments.

Re: this site. I agree, with Barbara's retirement this place is far less lively. Where did everyone go?

I use Psych Central as a posting place. I sometimes post the same content both places. Look for Revu2.

I also did a 10 minute search and came across a thread called Give it A Hundred on the Simple Living Forums site (never been there before).

So, EG and IS, do we carry on a month or two more here and then pack up and head out to a livelier forum?

Lynx
PS - I'd also like to scan my posts and capture any quotes and references before pulling up stakes.
Luvving the cliches this morning as I've writing to do and they'll have to stay in the shadows.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:36 am

Lynx, thanks for the heads-up. I'll check the other sites you mentioned, and see if anything there just grabs me. I'd keep posting here until they boxed me up and shoveled me under, but maybe it is time for a change. More comments to come later, after I've digested the idea of moving.

So yesterday I found out that our tax preparer is in the hospital, and they don't know what's wrong with him or when he will be released. Today I"m heading to H&R and hopefully there won't be any problems that can't be handled in an hour.

Writing is going in fits of wonderful writing followed by sloggy messes of not knowing what the h**l to do.

Lynx, I'm glad things are going - I'm not going to say it because I don't want to jinx it. You know what I mean.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

4/12 Fri crazy early

Postby Lynx » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:24 am

Hi, Couldn't sleep anymore so got up about 4:30.

Have a Queen song ear-worming in my head, Radio Ga-Ga. Need to research quelling earworms.

Having a series of days where I set goals and reach them brings up a little plume of euphoria. And the earworm. Related? I'll research and get back.

Research: it's a type of Mental Itch and many people "engage" and then "distract." So I just read the lyrics while running the youtube and then looked up the writer: Roger Taylor (drummer for Queen).

Quieter now, I can think, so time to get

To the Page,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi, Lynx, That's just grand - meeting your goals.

Re ear worms - my friend who's a musician/singer says when he gets a tune stuck in his head, he sings something else. Hope it works.

Me - lot going on. I did some very fast scurrying around. H&R did the work, but there was still a question. We'll be able to sign on Monday, April 15th at 11 AM. It''s not the way I want to do it, but it'll be done. We didn't get socked too badly. The Feds were higher than last year - no surprise, but we'll get some back from the state. Tom's coming down to the Bay Area to sign, so I don't have to drive up to the lake.

Really bad news. The reason our accountant quit on us. He has lymphoma. I think it's bad. He's in his late forties. So just a little kid. I hope he'll be okay.

I'm visiting with my sister today. We'll take a scenic ride to the household hazardous waste collection site, and then have lunch somewhere.

My writing - I'm behind on Nanowrimo. I hope I'll catch up in the next few days, but, lately, once I get behind I tend to stay behind.

Lynx, if we move to a different Internet site, do want to still post here in May, or move at the end of April? I think I might start a thread for May but post in two different places.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:15 pm

I took out the post.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:49 am

Success story for me. - Dreamed I couldn't serve a volleyball. Woke up. Tried it. Could do it. Tried it some more.
And - Here's the good part. Heart rate in cardio range, Endorphin surge.
I work out at the gym. I can get my heart rate in the range of a cardio workout. This was way better. :D

I have to wonder if this would work for anyone else who doesn't move enough.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories