May 2019 Steps-A-Day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

rules as tools - 12-May

Postby Lynx » Sun May 12, 2019 8:14 am

Hi steppers,

It's Mother's Day and also my brother's birthday. Sent letters or cards last week and dropped a phone message just moments ago.

Lilitha, you seem to be getting the hang of this thread. And, your blouse is just a couple of steps from Done! Let us know when to celebrate with you.

Today, like yesterday and again tomorrow—getting the drafts done for this grant. Every day this is the goal. It's not drudgery at all, just wearing.

Everyday I look to the next several days and plan a clean break. I keep moving the day because I'm not caught up enough. For a while it was Friday. Then moved it to Monday. Now it's next Friday.

Sigh. But dreaming of it helps. Reminds me of a James Tate poem: Dialogue between Lewis and Clark (cross-country explorers under President Jefferson).

And then I'll have some wine and spare ribs.
repeat 18 more times

Another thing I did today was adjust my morning routine. On Sat. I was up at 6:30 and got to work around 8:30. So today, I tore a page from my hiking experiences to "break camp and get hiking before breakfast." That is, got up, washed face, took a sip of water, and got to work. Up about 6:30, work about 7:02, and 45 minutes later first section drafted. Not even 8 AM.

This old standard routine of treating or paying myself first, taking my dear sweet time, perhaps reading a daily quote or meditating, has held the #1 position since 2013. It's only on vacation while I get through this intense stretch.

A third thing I'm doing, thanks to the shoemaker tale, is "cutting out" my next work. Just now when I finished that section, I cued up the next section so it's ready when I am.

To the draft,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: rules as tools - 12-May

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 am

Lynx wrote: This old standard routine of treating or paying myself first, taking my dear sweet time, perhaps reading a daily quote or meditating, has held the #1 position since 2013.

The idea of rewarding myself after doing something never worked for me. It didn't motivate me so I always treat myself first before doing something.

Elaine, I hope the party was fun and you're enjoying your garden.

Good luck, everyone, with your steps. I'm going to take a break from the internet for a few days. Keep up the exercise, Lalitha! See you soon.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: May 2019 Steps-A-Day

Postby LalithaN » Mon May 13, 2019 2:13 am

Hi Friends,
Take care Inspire. We'll miss you.
Lynx,
Today, I didn't feel like sewing. Instead I did a lot of cleaning.
Mundane constitutes 90% of our life and miracles only 1 or 2%. In between goes in dreaming.
That's what came into mind when I read your repetition quote.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

13-May

Postby Lynx » Mon May 13, 2019 5:26 am

Odd day ahead. Definitely in the tug between the call of work/duty and the need to get a break/rest.

Break/rest gets the pick, just barely. Have a work call @ 10, then off to the Korean spa. I bought 10 passes, down to last 2. Then I'll get 10 more. If time, along the way, I'll get spring water and refill the gas tank. Triple renewal!
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Tue May 14, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue May 14, 2019 11:44 am

Hi, Everyone,

I had a weird experience. I agreed with someone just because I knew it was what she wanted to hear. I didn't think I was someone who did that.
The beginning of the conversation had the message - from her - "I like don't like people who don't take my advice."
Then she asked me about a mutual friend who had died while working on her master's degree. She had done all her class work, and just needed to write her thesis. Her proposal was that writing Haiku changes how people see things. SHe would get a group of friends ( about four or five) and spend an afternoon in a beautiful natural setting, then have the friends write Haiku and describe their feelings about the experience. THat's as far as she got. We never did the afternoon in a natural setting and we never wrote Haiku. She died and the University gave her an honorary master's degree. On so many levels, I disagree with the decision. And when my first friend brought up the topic, I said it was good that the deceased friend got the degree because I knew that was what the living friend wanted to hear.

To me a master's thesis means a lot more work than an afternoon in a park and a quick write-up of people's thoughts about the experience. I looked it up on the net. - typically, it takes a year (two semesters) and is 40 - 88 pages long not counting the bibliography. It bothers me because it feels like they lowered the standards. And when I didn't say what I felt, I was lowering my standards.

So I'm thinking that I want to raise my personal standards.

Happy stepping, everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue May 14, 2019 1:09 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote: ....She died and the University gave her an honorary master's degree. On so many levels, I disagree with the decision. And when my first friend brought up the topic, I said it was good that the deceased friend got the degree because I knew that was what the living friend wanted to hear.

To me a master's thesis means a lot more work than an afternoon in a park and a quick write-up of people's thoughts about the experience. I looked it up on the net. - typically, it takes a year (two semesters) and is 40 - 88 pages long not counting the bibliography. It bothers me because it feels like they lowered the standards. And when I didn't say what I felt, I was lowering my standards.

So I'm thinking that I want to raise my personal standards.

As someone who has written a masters thesis, I agree with you. They shouldn't have given a degree to someone just because they died. A thesis is like writing a book, except in my case we were required to list and quote a minimum of 30 books in the bibliography. Definitely more work than hanging out in the park.

You said that you don't usually agree with people because it's what they want to hear. Do you think, in this case, it had to do with death? It makes it extra hard to have that be part of the conversation.

Personally, sometimes I speak up and sometimes I don't. It's an ongoing, life-long challenge for me.

I'm glad the experience made you more aware of how you want to be and to make the commitment to speak your mind more in the future.

Thanks for sharing this story, Elaine.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue May 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks, Inspire,

Yes, maybe I agreed because it had to do with death. It's disrespectful to say ill of the departed. And, at the memorial, I smiled and clapped politely, and I do feel that was appropriate at the time.

I think there are times to speak up and times to remain silent. Manners, consideration for people's feelings are important.

But this last incident happened months later. And something about the whole conversation just felt like manipulation and pushed my buttons.

Anyway, thanks for listening/reading.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed May 15, 2019 10:43 am

So in a quest to raise my personal standards, my goals for today are: work for an hour - half on writing, half on - gulp - marketing. And to say one true thing today.

Happy stepping, everyone. Goal accomplished.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Thu May 16, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:And to say one true thing today.
:D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

5-16

Postby Lynx » Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 am

Ah, May 16. Another Major Day for me.

A long anticipated meeting today with the backers of my main project. The one that's been so vexing. I've managed to keep my official role very muted, so attending as "color commentator" and general support.

Tussled with myself on just how much paper copies equals support? Settled on a single-sided sheet listing some legacy definitions and leaving it at that.

Re: saying one true thing. That could launch a whole speaker-curcuit project! Saw a management/leadership/coachingship book while at the spa. The man at the table across from me had it and I asked to take a look: Radical Candor: How to Get What You Want by Saying What You Mean by Kim Scott.

I really liked she had a lot of diagrams. I miss my 4th grade reader with all the pictures.

Yesternight I attended a jazz concert by college students. Very good. There's a part II this evening, & should I feel up to going I'll rate this week as really good for my rest and relaxation.

Friday, back to an 8-day run to delivering a grant proposal on the 24th. In addition to work for a new client.

To the page,
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

some combo missing step

Postby Lynx » Thu May 16, 2019 8:37 am

Hi steppers,

After 18 months, just replaced my Brother printer drum. Ran out to 12,000 copies.

So the issue became, resetting the drum count. The instructions:
open door
Press 'OK' for two seconds
Press Up Arrow
Close door

Did this several times. Turned the thing off and back on. Still got the replace drum message.

So, intuitively, I knew they'd left something off. Pushed these buttons longer or faster, at the same time. Nope.

Then, just now, walked to the machine:
open door
Press 'OK' for two seconds
Press 'OK' again
Press Up Arrow
Close door

That did it. How come Brother missed that extra press?

Dunno,

Back to the day,
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu May 16, 2019 11:16 am

Welcome to my world! I couldn't get my phone to turn on. Pushed every button - nothing. ERIC - stepson - pushed the on button and held it down until the phone turned on.

My goal will be essentially the same for a while - work for an hour and say one true thing. BTW, One True Thing is the title of a book, and I think it's also a movie.

Happy steppin.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

5-17

Postby Lynx » Fri May 17, 2019 8:06 am

Howdy all,

Today I'm still tween catching up on rest and getting through piles of work. Sigh. Right now, ever so slowly flowing into getting to work. Next up, do I look out the next 8 days and get a sense of my pacing, or begin to figure out some type of dashboard for this big grant?

The shorter of the two, looking out 8 days, is my regular "team" check-in. The team being just myself. What art events am I looking to get to? Will I miss? When will I do the mundane stuff like shop, eat, laundry? Most important, where are the Oases, or where do I want them? What will I do at the oasis to rest/relax/recover/reset?

Got to the spa on Monday and it was exactly the right thing for me. Made it through the week. Tuesday I dropped in on a Hawaiian simple food place. He was slammed and said his help failed to show and he was running out of rice. Come back. I took a hike and came back. No rice. So I asked for a mix of his other foods, which he served up, but didn't charge me for. Same with the next guy who walked in.

This is priceless stuff. Life among the living souls that share my space and time. What it's really all for. Had I been 'traveling' this would be a big blog post fersure!

So part of my resting is positioning myself so more of these living moments have their chance to find me.

Which pretty much settles what I'm doing today: working till about 11:30, lunch at a culinary school, then strolling among thrift stores till the school's bakery goes half-price at 3 pm. Then get some fun pastries and back home to nap!

Then, I'll have to see what I feel like.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

5-17 Sitting with Time

Postby Lynx » Fri May 17, 2019 9:30 am

Hi again,

Still not even 9:15 and no starts. But the thought hit me: I haven't had a full day for myself since I can remember. Late February? So, every day some work, more or less, all of March, April, and through 16 days of May. At least 75 days. Let's round it to 80 days because 2/28 was a crucial meeting day that I worked hard to prep for.

And Monday, after turning in a grant draft, I took the rest of the day to rest. Not a complete day off at all.

I could have made it around the world with Jules Verne & Nellie Bly in 80 days.

So, this thought resets everything.

I have several books just waiting to be read. There's my original plans for lunch, etc. And then I could get to a piano concert this PM.

I could do research on a repair needed for the car, and decide on some idle shopping I've been doing (do I want a Bose CD radio from Ebay? How high should I bid?) And, it seems it would be literally cool to get some collarless (grandad, stand, v-neck collars) button down, summer shirts. Still shopping that, but might have a decision.

We have our first dodad from indiegogo (a bidet) to install. Definitely is a project.

Oh, and I want to pick Rose petals for Rose infused honey!

OK:
hang out, have a light breakfast.
Lunch at school.
Thrifting
Discount pastries
Home
Out again to pick rose petals
Home
Nap
Piano concert
home
sleep

Ah, a day to myself.
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri May 17, 2019 10:11 am

Lynx, enjoy your day.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I have had too many days to myself. Today, I'll be dog-sitting Kelly. I'll try to keep my goals going. An hour of writing seems so little, but it feels like it's all I can accomplish. SO I'll start with that.

I'll try to get some work done on my garden. It's looking really nice, even with after the oxalis and wild onions are done blooming. I'm working on a part where the oxalis didn't take over, and I'm planting blue geraniums forget-me-not, and dwarf myrtle.

THat's it for me for now.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories