June 2019 Steps a Day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: June 2019 Steps a Day

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:56 pm

My problem - I have edited the same ten pages for the last two weeks. Every time I read the pages, I find three or four new things that need to be changed. You'd think, I'd have found everything by now. I am very frustrated. (Note - I'm just venting my frustration. I don't need anyone to help me with this. There really isn't anything anyone reading this can do to help me. I'd just like to read the ten pages and not need to change anything.)

Okay, to the page.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:52 pm

Elaine, sending hugs and good vibes. Love, Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Yay Me, Said Inspire

Postby Lynx » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:27 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:Success story. … This time I got really determined to fix it on my own. And I did! Yay, me!

Luv that spirit. Very contagious, feeling a bit myself.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Revision is where it's at

Postby Lynx » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:31 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:My problem —I'd just like to read the ten pages and not need to change anything.)

I've read so often that genuine writing isn't the first drafting, it is in the revising. Hemingway and his dozens of endings and all that rot, as Holden might call it.

Revise on and on and feel the frustration of it.

so it goes, really, so it goes,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Friday 6/7

Postby Lynx » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:22 am

Hello world,

Reading through a thread on Resistance from Jan 2009. Still very familiar stuff. My complaint on not being allowed to walk is there. Elaine, you talk about resistance to finishing your novel. Not sure what's become of An8el, but she offers terrific insights from her life experiences and Alexander Technique training.

Today, as ever, much work to get done. Back in 09 I was on the cusp of a getting a j-b, and leaving consulting. Now I've left j-bs and consulting over full-time.

I absolutely luv working for myself on so many levels, even through the pinch times. Probably most especially through the pinch times. Had I worked 80 days straight for a company I'd also carried so much resentment and anger (because no way would they give me comp or vacation time that I would have earned) that the extra "weight" would have wrecked havoc.

I have a support call @ 1 PM and pot-luck dinner with a work team @ 6. At a job: time away from "work" for a support call? Not approved by Human Relations Employee Assistance Program? Unheard of, literally. I would sneak it in as "lunch."

From now and tween those times, getting stuff done.

To the page,
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:00 pm

Hello Steppers,

Barbara Sher is back on the boards! Check out the threads she started in Deep (or shallow) Discussions.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:42 pm

Oh, yay, Inspire.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

8 Jn

Postby Lynx » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:01 am

Hi steppers,

Following through on a very durable passion today, reviewing a play. Via special request of my editor though if I had full druthers I'd pass to keep attending to other clients and napping. But she's been extremely generous with supporting me when things were much tougher, so happy to do a small return favor.

Just read more in the Resistance thread. Followed a link to short piece of "listening to resistance" by doing the opposite! Van Gogh said if there's a little voice that says don't paint, by all means, then, paint!

And a link to Rick Steves business operations to a short video on RS doing research in Italy. He mentioned that you'll notice his guides don't have much on night life because when he in in Europe updating them—he's there 100 days a year—he writes 4 hours every night. In the little clip he finds he got a detail wrong in the then current edition. RS comment: "inexcusable." And he went on with his work.

Those were several ¶s today. I have my head full of thing to do, so

To the Page,
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

performance day

Postby Lynx » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:43 am

Hi steppers,

It's here. My day of Facilitation. Got enough sleep? Yes. materials prepped and by the door? yes, though I'm thinking of other stuff I need to do.

Gas in the tank? Yes, but I need to fill up AFTER the event.

Mid-day Sunday check-in call with client? Yes.

Nerves? humming.

To the front,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Go, Lynx.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:05 pm

You know what's great about the stepper thread? Right now, we're chalking up successes. (we being mostly you all.) So all those steps are paying off.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Jun 11

Postby Lynx » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:15 am

Well,

I got to the Big Facilitation Day and began to set up. The board took over the room before we'd finished working. When we came in, I had a mutiny to deal with. After a bit of symbolic resistance, I stepped aside and let them run their conversation their way. I did ask how they were to know they'd agreed and what they planned to do if it wasn't unanimous?

Then I took notes when the staffer who had started them was asked to step out for a couple of hours while the board talked. In the end, they came down to a pair of options, to be decided at their next board meeting. My hours of making handouts for them to use, flip charts and voting tracking forms to fill-in. Un-used. I'm making my invoice today. Feels odd as it was way less energetic and I played far less of a role than I had contracted for. I'll go with the agreed upon fee and see what shakes out.

However, this leaves me with time and lots of energy today for other things than compiling their notes and resting.

This officially marks the end of the hardest working, work-everyday, 100-day run I've had in my whole life at this level of intensity with limited room for delay, error, or melt-downs. Had one melt-down for half a day when I'd thought I'd lost my calendar binder.

Had all of May until June 7 or so very nearly sick, and bargained daily with my body on just where my effort-edge was so I could keep crawling towards the next goal.

I made it! I did it! There's still work, but I'll have more evenings and weekends to relax and enjoy stuff starting today. Actually watched part of a DVD last night, then called it due to it bored me. Ah, the power to stop something, how sweet!

Thanks for sharing this journey with me, could never have gotten to here without you.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 pm

WHat a crazy day. I'm amazed at all the energy you had, especially being borderline sick for such a long time.

me - It's hot, and I don't have AC, so I spent most of yesterday and today looking for a place to hang out. Other people had the same idea, so a lot of the restaurants were packed. My house usually stays cool. I open windows at night, and the house usually doesn't get too bad the next day. Unfortunately, there was no breeze last night, so today the house was roasting. I did get some good writing done.

Nothing more interesting to write about. I swear, someday my post here is going to be earth-shattering. (or not.) I don't think I believe in earth shattering any more. I believe in steady, productive, and small steps.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Jun 11

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:28 am

Lynx wrote: This officially marks the end of the hardest working, work-everyday, 100-day run I've had in my whole life at this level of intensity with limited room for delay, error, or melt-downs.

I made it! I did it! There's still work, but I'll have more evenings and weekends to relax and enjoy stuff starting today. Lynx

Major congrats, Lynx! You did it! Yay! Enjoy your rewards of relaxation and fun!

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Listless Sunday

Postby Lynx » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Howdy world,

Making every effort to not make any lists today. A listless Sunday. Began with walking in my nearest park looking for a side street out of the park I seldom take. Didn’t find it, but did have a couple of brief chats with people along the way.

These are always gently comforting. There’s probably a fancy way research would describe it, but it’s nice to pass the time of day for a moment with a stranger.

I have lots of stuff to do, but no lists, so I’ll have to meander through them and let you know later how it unfolded.

Re: relaxation and fun, yes. That’s the idea. A bit of each every day is what my inner doctor prescribes.

Let’s see how well I can work it into, around, and through the next-thing to next-thing of living.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories