July 2019 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: July 2019 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 pm

Lalitha, I think you are doing quite well with your sewing. I have made clothes, and it took a VERY long time. I'm sure you'll get faster the more you do it. In the meantime - enjoy the creative process. I do think it's fun to pick the fabric, and make something beautiful out of a piece of cloth.

I worked for four hours today. :D I hope I can do that again. I haven't exercised yet today, but I hope to do a few minutes later tonight. As you said, a few minutes a day is better than nothing, and I know that's right. The trick is to keep at it until it becomes a habit and I do it automatically.

Good luck to you all.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:30 am

Hi Elaine,
Thank You for the encouragement. I am really, REALLY happy I joined this forum. I don't have any real friends. I am friendly with my neighbours and help them upto my capacity.They are amicable and they say they admire me very much. Though I like them, they don't come in my frequency line. So I cannot get any encouragement or support from them. And I don't go out of my house often. Though I have a very big network of relatives, due to my family crisis, I keep distance.

I have benefited much from this forum and I thank all of you whole-heartedly.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

7-9

Postby Lynx » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:38 am

Of reports, music, & workshops

Keeping the string going. Had a reasonable good day of report drafting yesterday. Tapped dry around the 2 hour mark and also found a short nap stretched itself into 90 minutes. My body soaks up the rest.

Today focused on finishing the chapter I'm drafting. It's the largest remaining part to do the first draft for. Considering making a report to the team which I want to do and also put off because I can't seem to move through any faster than I am and prefer not to make projections or predictions and then risk disappointing people.

The free music season begins today. Can't make it, but I may get to a concert tomorrow.

Also, beginning a staging box for supplies for a workshop I'm leading next week. Been occurring to me for days so I set today as the get in gear day.

Reading through novels, plural. ! All by Rachel Cusk, plus two of her memoirs, plus some psychoanalytic articles. Even working my way through the manual for my ipad.

For thing that come with manuals, I read the manual. Then I surprise people by knowing what to do. There are only 4 ways through: having a tutor/teacher/mentor, previous experience and memory, luck, and using the manual. Youtube videos make a hybrid between tutor and manual.

For fun, a friend invited us to go sailing.

Step well,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:53 am

Lynx, I am someone who never reads manuals. (Unless I absolutely have to.) You inspire me.

I'm getting psychological now, It seems that so many things take time and small steps. Reading manuals, sewing, writing a book. I think of the monks who create mandalas which take weeks? months? to create, and are then destroyed because it is the process of creating and not the product that is important. I think many of us, and by us I mean me, want to work hard for a couple of hours and have a finished product that is wonderful. And we're discouraged when it doesn't work out that way. (and again, I mean me.) Sometimes I take on a project that can be finished in a short time, just for the fun of having reached a goal. I need that sometimes.

Anyway, my steps for today are writing, gardening, and cleaning some of the clutter that keeps growing in my house. (no, clutter doesn't really grow. It just seems to. Like weeds.)

On a happy note, I fell behind in the Nanowrimo goal, but yesterday almost caught up.

Okay, on to the small steps.

Good wishes to you all.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:59 am

Hi Elaine,
Your post was very wonderful. I agree with all your points.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

jul 10 Duck Dodge Sailing

Postby Lynx » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:59 am

Hi steppers,

Back from sailing. My buddy hosted the "committee boat" for the weekly sailboat races. I've known of these races for maybe 7 years; they have been going on for 45 years! The committee boat is a motorboat that hosts the members of the Duck Dodge Sailboat Races Judges Committee, and set the start line with a buoy on one side and itself on the other.

We were there in good time, but people coming from the other direction were delayed by an overturned car?! Then someone needed to move her car, etc. But eventually everyone was on board. We dropped the buoy and went across the lake and dropped anchor. Sail boats cruised by to check in and say which heat (of the four) they wanted to race.

The committee sounded the 10 minute blast, then another and the races were on. They sailed an awkward triangle (Euclid died before describing this). Meanwhile we sat aboard dodging rain and talking. The rules are that when a duck is in your path you are supposed to sail around & dodge it. It was the other way around—the ducks swam close to us to stay clear.

After all the heats and winning stickers were handed out, the boats roped up in series with ours in the middle. Maybe 20 in all. Then we partied for an hour as people climbed from one boat to the other. The 'tradition' is that Duck Dodge virgins are to kiss the captain of each boat they board. I was such a virgin and kissed 3 captains on their cheeks. They were not interested in me but took a keen interest in the lively young lasses about. The theme was Pirates and everyone had a great time assembling costumes and props.

My partner doesn't like the rocking of the boat, so felt our 4.5 hours was too long. My friend lives on his boat.

It's a big world,

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:34 am

Hi Friends,
I finished my blouse now. It is Wednesday July 10. 11 p.m.
I didn't sew on Monday and Tuesday, but finished it today with determination. I made cord piping to the neckline. Tomorrow should check the fitting. Hope it does well. So happy, Thank you both for your encouragement. :D
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:41 pm

That sounds like soooooo mjuch fun, Lynx.

Congratulations, LalithaN on finishing the blouse. I'm impressed.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

7-11 summer fun &

Postby Lynx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:37 pm

He Steppers,

Getting to my first summer music event today. Outdoor concert at the Sculpture Garden. The other summer event series I'm chasing is getting to as many $5 burgers I can fit in before the burger week closes on Saturday. I made it to one yesterday, and one likely today on my way to the music. Friday and Saturday now open.

Re: attitude and writing. Elaine, that's the weird thing. Some study someone did someplace said something about asking students to create quality or quantity made a big difference: the quantity group wrote more, natch, AND their writing was better. The scientists are still working this out in two groups: one that is trying to get to a quality theory and one that is generating as many theories as possible.

Check these from John Steinbeck, that hack:

If only I can do this book properly it would be one of the really fine books and a truly American book. But I am assailed what my own ignorance and inability. I'll just have to work from a background of these. Honesty. If I can keep an honesty it is all I can expect of my poor brain—never temper a work to a reader's prejudice, but bend it like putty for his understanding. If I can do that it will be all my lack of genius can produce. For no one else knows my lack of ability the way I do. I am pushing against it all the time. Sometimes I seem to do a good little piece of work, but when it is done it slides into mediocrity.

Today I shall work slowly and try to get that good feeling again. It must be. Just a little bit every day. A little bit every day. And then it will be through.

I don't know. I only hope it is some good. I have very grave doubts sometimes. I don't want this to seem hurried. It must be just as slow and measured as the rest but I am sure of one thing—it isn't the great book I had hoped it would be. It's just a run-of-the-mill-book. And the awful truth is it is absolutely the best I can do. Now to work on it.

The book? Grapes of Wrath

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:13 pm

It is true, Lynx, that the great ones had doubts. But the mediocre ones had doubts too.

I got some good feedback from an agent yesterday. She liked the premise, the characters didn't grab her. i get that. So I'm looking at the first ten pages to see how to make the characters more real.

Have fun with your burgers, Lynx. And the music.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:40 am

Hi Lynx,

My partner doesn't like the rocking of the boat, so felt our 4.5 hours was too long. My friend lives on his boat.
It's a big world.

Only today I read this post. Boat race seems to be a lot of fun. That reminded me of Kerala's annual long boat race 'Vallakkali' with hundreds of rowers on every boat. More than the boat race, I enjoyed your final touch.

Then Steinbach's words. "If I can keep an honesty it is all I can expect of my poor brain—never temper a work to a reader's prejudice, but bend it like putty for his understanding. If I can do that it will be all my lack of genius can produce. For no one else knows my lack of ability the way I do. I am pushing against it all the time. Sometimes I seem to do a good little piece of work, but when it is done it slides into mediocrity. "
Man aspires for sky and it evades his touch every time. The true tragedy of human frailty.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:47 am

They have a Mindfulness Meditation at the library on Fridays. I'm going to try it today.
I keep waiting for genius to strike me with my writing without putting any effort. I do think that ideas kind of simmer in the back of my mind and then a few days later come out. It's a beautiful day in California today. I'll go play in the garden and then write a little.

Happy moving forward.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Jul 14

Postby Lynx » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:49 am

Hello steppers,
Elaine, Picasso shared your feelings, he said,
Picasso wrote:Inspiration exists but it has to find you working.

I'm closing in on closing out my compiled draft report for this project that's has enthralled me for two years. Making the font and headings consistent and putting in footnotes. One more chapter to edit with new text, then about 5 more to compile in. Then print it, look that over, then make a couple of backup files before sending it out for my team members to look at.

Close to 100 pages, double spaced. Feeling my Steinbeck "steady still, no forcing" so I'm writing this during a break and stretch. As my energy allows I'll work. Would love to hit "send" before Wednesday when I'm slated to attend an all-day training and also my mens support group. Meaning Wed. and likely Thur. I won't have either the time or the energy to do this well. If I'm not done by Tuesday this delays the finish to Friday. Motivation.

Carry on, carry through,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Jul 15

Postby Lynx » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi Steppers,

My final five chapters for this round of work (editing & compiling). Thought some about a ritual. After each of these five is completed I'll smudge with a different herb.

Feeling that If I can manage one each time I sit to work, and sit to work five times, I'll finish today.

To the compile,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Jul 16

Postby Lynx » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:41 am

Hi steppers,

One more chapter (an appendix drafted by someone else) to collate in. Making several downloads, printing it out for a lookover, smudge a whiff of incense to mark getting this far, composing an email, hitting send, throwing up my hands and running to the net.

To the compile, Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories