August 2019 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: August 2019 Daily Steppin'

Postby LalithaN » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:33 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:. The theme in my life right now is forgiveness and understanding and having compassion for the other side. I've always favored forgiveness over holding a grudge. But, but, but - sometimes letting go of the grudge didn't seem to be in my control. I could say the words, want to forgive, know that I was angry for no good reason, know being angry was only hurting me. And I'd still be angry.
'

Hi Elaine,
I can very much relate to this situation.
I am a soft person and I'm not good with dealing anger.
I don't know how to bring anger[even it comes for right reason] into action without harm. So when I suppress it or express it, I feel guilty.
It needs an iron hand with velvet gloves to deal efficiently with anger. Would I get it!
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

as the mature turn

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:05 am

Hi steppers,

Elaine, I felt a bit of peace warming my heart while reading your report of your transformation. Thanks.

Today my duty is to be the driver for a friend getting eye surgery. I'm to drive her there, wait, drive her home. That's the surface. Oh, man. She's resisting every step, forgetting to put in drops, leaving the approved list of drops to buy at home, complaining and dreading (her usual Modus so that's not a surprise.)

Today I picked up my notes on getting my end of living papers (advanced directive, will, power of attorneys) continued, finished, reviewed by lawyer, revised, reviewed again, notarized, filed away, and share location with executors. Then celebrate. All done in nine simple and easy steps. Well, with resistance tween each step, so make that 18 steps with the works.

That's the what.

My gut: Literally a chill in my lower legs. Cold feet. This begins my next major internal churn about: what can I do to ease the burden on others for when I an no longer alive.

So what: One of the things I realized from a 10 minute motivational interviewing practice exercise is I'm not going to have a fun time if I don't make time for fun. In this case, I will write a parody or satire. I've already begun to research this. There's a fun one called the will of the little pig in Latin from the fourth century. Read in translation.

Also, fiction writers have a great time with it, especially mystery writers. Started Humboldt's Gift by Saul Bellows. Couldn't get into it.

Now what: I'm committing here to getting to this on 13 of the next 21 days. Tally: 1 of 1. Good start.

Chill with me,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:31 pm

Elaine, your tech success last month was so clearly written, I'd like your permission to cut it and paste it into it's own success story. May I do that? :D Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

EOL Papers 2/2

Postby Lynx » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Hi steppers,

Continuing on my steps, today I read most of Richard Price's 1785 parody of Ben Franklin's Poor Richard Almanac written as a Poor Richard's will. Price presumed that Poor Richard, having followed his own optimistic advice would die wealthy. Price wondered how a will would look if Richard had put various sums away at 5% compound interest to be used 100, 200, etc. to 500 years after his death.

Franklin read the parody, and liked the idea, so he did indeed put away money at interests for the use of Boston and Philadelphia 100 years after his bequeath. Worth around $6 million now. Great example of fiction inspiring action.

Longer than I'd expected, but funny, and full of critiques of rulers and customs. Even contains excellent feminist arrangements for equal pay and more compassion for women faced with prostitution because no other means existed for their lawfully earning their keep.

Alright, 2/2.

Keep steppin – but not in it,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

papers 3/3

Postby Lynx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:48 am

Hi steppers,

Today I began a type of emotion/thinking map of my path to completing my papers. I spoke to my mom yesterday (she turns 89 this year) after our conversation last month that getting our wills done was important. She implied she's done hers ("I'm good. It's just the three of you (her sons)).

Happy to have motivated her. Now my turn.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Inspire, feel free to use whatever I've posted here.

I can't believe it's been so long since I' posted anything.

Me - I've discovered my friend's swimming pool. She doesn't like to use it unless someone is with her, so she's happy to invite me to go swimming. - a win-win.

My writing is sloggy right now. And I have some chores to see to. Not interesting to talk about, but they have to be done.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

papers 5/5

Postby Lynx » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:07 am

Hi steppers,

On my end of life papers, I did some self-analysis yesterday, and today I'm looking for the standard sections of a will so I can lampoon them as warm up.

Getting booked for a two-week design festival all around town. Everything I want to do is sponsored (free to me).

While trying to watch a video got a pop up message adobe flash needed updating. Clicked it because it made sense to help with vid, and immediately knew it was a virus. Shut down and restarted, but too late. Spent about an hour running antimalware app and cleaning up chrome (resetting to default and erasing history).

Elaine, friends with pools are friends indeed! Enjoy.

L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:18 am

Hi Steppers,
Today I came across a youtube video featuring a 100 year old lady sewing baby dresses for children all over the world. i just wanted to share it with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNW7vg2uvEY&t=33s
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Service @ 100

Postby Lynx » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:00 am

Hi Steppers,

Lalitha, thanks for this story. Very gentle, behind the scenes, service to others. Her husband died before he was 40 and she lived another 60 some years. She says that there's something about being touched by someone you love that no other touch compares to. Smiling, found her part and played it well. Her obit notes she died last year at age 102.

Which being me to my will project. The goal was attention on it 13 days out of 21 from when I started counting. Today is 6/6. I looked up if "of sound mind and body" is really necessary and found a writer's list of famous wills, and in the case of Abe Lincoln, lawyer, no will!

L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

sun 7/7

Postby Lynx » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:14 am

Hi steppers,

After a week of random research, I've put fingers to the keyboard and begun my drafting of my parody will and my True Will.

Faced the option of doing the parody in 10 parts (probably about 6 as several sections don't apply to me, such ones about trusts & children) following the outline from a website straight through or doing a parody section one day and the legit section the next. Going with the toggle for now. Keeping to my string, this can be fully drafted in 12 days.

Just wrote the parody open for The Will of a Common Thinker.

Got word that public news is pending on that grant that sucked up my May.

I'll keep you posted,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Will @ 7/7

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi Steppers,

I always want to get my "keep the string alive" item(s) attended to early in the day. It's like turning in homework, them I'm freer. Today had a bit of work writing to think through this a.m., so I am just getting to it. Still, I'm 7/7. This means I can skip a whole week and if I pick this up I'll still make my promise to myself of 13 days working out of 21.

Happy steps to all,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Will @ 8/8 When Parody Gets Real

Postby Lynx » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:38 am

Hi Steppers,
Worked way to item 2 on the will 'must haves'—debts and how they are to be paid. What are my spiritual and metaphysical debts? to prime my thinking, dashed out to the web and found an interesting blog on acknowledging spiritual debts.

Martin Prechtel wrote:When we no longer maintain a relationship with the spirits, the spirits have to eat our psyches. And when the spirits are done eating our psyches, they eat our bodies. And when they’re done with that, they move on to the people close to us.

Full stop. I'll ponder this for the rest of the day.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Will 9/9

Postby Lynx » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:24 am

Hi steppers,

Into the real §2: taxes and debt. Began with taxes to polish off the cliche of the certainty of death & taxes. 8/8

Posted my successful win of a huge grant in a separate thread.

Experimenting with the best way to use lists. It feels that each day wants to make its own list. So my Tues Lister might draft something for Wed but then the Wed Lister is resentful they didn't to do their own.

I also find making a micro or mini list amazingly motivating. Needed to fill in a hole left by our neighbor on our land when he had to stop a side sewer pipeline break in May. This after reminding and asking him to do it for most of July. Monday sat and made a list of what I'd need and as soon as the list was finished I jumped up and did it.

Today, visiting my client who won the grant to deal with the latest urgent challenge. In short: dealing with lying, stealing, & cheating, a..holes.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Will 9/9

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:20 pm

Lynx wrote: Posted my successful win of a huge grant in a separate thread.
I'm so glad you did. It deserves to have its own space! :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:27 am

Hi Steppers,

Yes, Inspire, its own thread. Your idea a few weeks ago inspired it.

A couple of tech struggles on the docket today. One is getting city council meeting transcript to work. Two ways to do this, one is using youtube's transcript function. No natural breaks (like peroids and caps) and very messy.

The other is to use the Otter.ai free (to 10 hours a month) service. Very good. The challenge is youtube offers no download. Have a couple of work around ideas.

Have an urgent fund raising appeal press release to draft by 10 am.

This afternoon going to a design crawl in a creative part of town. Hanging out with our artist buddy on the trip list.

That about wraps it.

L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories