September 2019 Steps A Day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

September 2019 Steps A Day

Postby Lynx » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:03 am

Hello,

I've been reviewing our archives. Here's the lead-off message from August 2012. Enjoy. Lynx

Creatively moving a project from conception to completion requires we complete many, many Steps.

Sometimes its hard to know where to start. In John Barleycorn, Jack London's vivid memoir, he describes a predicament familiar to many an aspiring artist: 'My difficulty was that I had no one to advise me. I didn't know a soul who had written or who had ever tried to write. I didn't even know one reporter.'" (1)

We are made of many parts, and sometimes they nullify each other and we stall. Write about it here to achieve that breakthrough inner flow.

There are three voices within every creator:
    The Inner Artist
    The Inner Editor
    The Inner Agent
To have a successful [project], we must all learn how to deploy each of them at particular times, and keep them from stepping on each other's toes. (2)

As creatives we are blazing a trail by definition. No one has every done exactly what we are attempting. We advance towards something we may never have achieved before. The way forward may not be always the easiest, the most direct, fun, or obvious. Open your way forward by viewing your task through one or more of these themes. You might consider meditating on them one at a time. When you've worked through the list, start again at the top.

1. [Sunday] "Success" is sticking with it, one step at a time. Carry on through disappointment and set-backs (failure is a taboo word), by returning to the fundamentals of what ever it is you're doing. Learn from salespeople and job seekers who are coached that every "no" just brings them that much closer to a "yes."

2 [Monday] Measure your progress with addition rather than subtraction. This is a lesson passed down from Ernest Hemingway who wrote in pencil on his door jamb the number of words he wrote that day. Same is true for Jack London who wrote 1000 words a day no matter what. When he reached that number his work for the day was done. It adds up, it always does.

3. [Tuesday] Use the best time of your day to your best advantage. Protect it, put it in your calendar. Say no to minor distractions, petty problems, and anything that interferes with your productivity.

4. [Wednesday] Flip your 'buts.' Oh how we beg off action by saying to ourselves, "I'd really get into this but I need XYZ." Turn that around, "I need XYZ but I'm going forward anyway."

5. [Thursday] Provide yourself several reasons or motivations for doing the task. If one doesn't get you in motion, draw upon the next, then the next.

6. [Friday] Allow the conscious and planned parts of you to complement the spontaneous and squiggly parts. Professional service providers (like printers) sometimes say to customers who seem to want to specify everything, "There's quality (q), price (p), & time (t). Pick 2." In terms of personal projects like many of us are engaged in, this translates as: how good does this step need to be (q); how much effort is needed (p); and how long will it take (t). Say the goal is to complete a 1000-word blog. You might commit yourself to finishing a very bad rough draft (q) in 2 hours (t). You then let the effort involved (p) find it's own level. Alternatively, you may want a very good first draft (q) that you put some quality research into (p). Not specifying the time allows you the freedom to let this draft take as much time as necessary—could take 5 hours, could take 20.

7. [Saturday] Claim your authority to turn things Off and say No. Successful steps marry a string of Yeses to get to the work with a wall of Nos to barricade your time and attention against distractions and the dithering away of your lifeforce.

Poor Jack London couldn't even afford a computer to find support online. But we have. Use this thread to give and offer support around those steps to completion.

Lynx

(1) Call of the Wild: Jack London's Advice on Honing Your Creative Craft by Scott McDowell
(2) Is An Inner Argument Holding Back Your Productivity? by Tara Mohr.

** This thread has been renewed every month since about June 2003 **
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:12 am

First of September,

Made it through August. The end of summer comes tomorrow. Everyone back to school, back to work, back to commuting. Do we have ta?

So much of my value added is new value added. Swore off start-ups because of the ambiguities and continual work to find enough clarity to work on while much needs agreement or at least stepping asides. And here I am with the biggest start-up of my life with the level of influence and authority I have now on this new project.

I'm mindful of every seeming success and every mistake, and every miss-step, many of the previous start-ups I've been on have had.

One of the things I have to overcome is a slight pull to not do the work because I'd have what might be seemed as too big an invoice. The work has to be done, I'm the one to do it. I'll do it, bill it, and if need be we can discuss what it took.

Ok, felt relief to put that in writing.

Enjoy your September steps, everyone.

Now, to the start-up, Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Opening Day of the Fall Work Marathon

Postby Lynx » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:45 am

Hello steppers,

This is opening day of the work marathon to New Years. After a long time being fallow, I've fired up my google sheet where I list my tasks and goals. First, I got to sweep away lots of stuff I did early in the summer I hadn't deleted. All that's done.

Focus for the week is getting a "save the date" ready, locking on the dates and times, getting an invoice submitted, questioning a client about arranging a close out meeting, and so on and so on.

For distraction I'm watching the Brexit spectacle, live and unrehearsed as it unfolds (more or less). The protesters are calling it a 'coup.' Jolly good rhetoric, I say.

To the day,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Traction

Postby Lynx » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:22 am

Hi everyone,

Worked on my updated autofocus (AF) list yesterday. I toggle from using AF to a daily list of scraps of paper. Or a huge sheet with wild mindmaps. Or lists in a spiral notebook. Or post-its laid out in a dual sheet spread, or a poster sheet with a mix of methods, or a powerpoint slide with all my todos with connecting lines, or using the blank side of business cards to make sorting easy, or spreading out a week on legal sized paper so I have thinking cleanly about each day, or ...

Today: send draft 'save the dates' flyer off to my clients. Invoice to send for a second client, and as much as I can crunch through on the AF list while a friend is struggling to finish and send a letter.

To the day's work,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:45 am

In a few moments I'll lite a candle to signify the start of The Work on the largest grant project I've been this involved in winning. While it burns I'll put together the 'save the dates' email and get it on its way.

There're few decent words for this feeling at the beginning: I'm not afraid or anxious, I know there'll be surprises, messy conversations, agreements made and met, and made and vaguely met, made and not met.

Here's one to try on: Resfeber (n.) Swedish: The restless race of the traveler’s heart before the journey begins.

To lite a candle,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9-6

Postby Lynx » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:09 am

Hi Steppers,

It's nearly a week and It's just me posting. Mighty quiet.

Today: meeting a friend for a walk. Had thought we'd test Kune, but i'm not getting the verification email link, and there are several folks listed in my group i hadn't invited. without the link, not worth figuring out how to get them off.

Plus, dealing with plans and details for launch of the $1.5 Million grant (separate thread).

And returning to family constellation circles this very pm.

L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: September 2019 Steps A Day

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:00 am

dislocated elbow. will write more later.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

might quiet

Postby Lynx » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:03 am

Hello, hello, hello

Oh, Elaine, get well fast! you and I were composing at the same time.

In a spell of radio silence in several facets. i have a project I'm working to wrap up and the lead has twice ignored my request for comment and to connect. Plus, the whole team of 11 people have also ignored my request for comments, twice.

I've begun thinking of my mornings as a spell of time for myself. I work in any keep the chain efforts, read for myself (right now reviewing our posts on this long running series. Up to Feb. 2013). Enjoy my tea and conduct idle net searches on anything that interests me. So it doesn't drift into a full day of dawdle, I set 'office hours' as I make the day's list. Today's office hours open at 9:30, and run till closing time. As I write this, I'll start on Monday to also set an office hours closing time, too.

The perils and joys of working from home.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:55 pm

typing is still a bit rough. Tripped over wheelchair ramp & fell on top of computer. Margaret saw me and offered to take me to dr. locked computer in car. Nearest hospital is in Concord. Margaret didn't want to drive that far. Dr said I could go to San Pablo office instead. They took Xrays (couldn't fix anything) and told me to go home and call on-call dr. About 5 p,m, by then. Called ans. service. SAid to call back if I didn't hear from Dr. in half hour. Didn't. called three times (2 hrs.) no call back. Called told answering service I was going to hospital. Neighbor Pat said she'd drive. Told ans. service to tell doctor I was swearing and screaming and crying. On call Dr. calle one minute later. he said he'd called in pain meds to CVS. My doctor would call ortho doctor next day and see if they could see me an appt then. I told Pat to turn around and go back. It was already dark, and she had to get up at four next morning. On call dr. called and said to go to er. CVS hadn't gotten the prescription for pain med.s i went home. called cab and went to er. they took more xrays Elbow ball was sitting next to the socket. (dislocated) also bone was chipped. Dr. popped elbow back in place.

Next day. made appt. for ortho they said I should bring xrays. from Concord. Couldn't get a ride over there. they weren't open on weekends. Cancelled ortho appt. Friemd Kate said she'd drive over on Mon to pick up xrays. I'll make second appt for with ortho for Tuesday. Pat neighbor and Alicia got my pain meds and drove car with computer home for me Fri evening. COMPUTER STILL WORKS.

Today, son in law took me shopping. I talked to my prim. care dr. about mess. She said big misunderstanding. On=call dr. not a total idiot. I had balked when she said to go to er because Margaret couldn't drive that far. and she ( my dr.) said she went along with what I was asking. I really like her. Usually she's a great doctor. But. I still thing on-call dr. was an idiot.

I'm still a bit loopy.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

elbow

Postby Lynx » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:53 am

Hi Elaine, what a literal runaround while you suffered.

I wonder if the "on call" nurse health plans use could serve to direct the traffic and keep tabs: did doc send perscript? Yes or No. No = follow up. If yes, did CVS get it? etc.

Miss house calls, like they re-instituted in France. A health care foundation could get behind rolling that out again. In Seattle, there are dozens of pop in clinics, and one boutique clinic was open weekend hours because people get hurt on weekends more when doing their athletic stuff that when opening apps on their computers.

For me, i'm making lists and lists. Had a win the few days ago: got a $80 refund from a site that had a no refund policy. The product didn't work right, and the little I could do didn't fit my needs. Turns out, I'll use an app I already have. Is there a word for buying something because you are about to take a trip though the same thing you already have would do the job?

Twin steps today of very gently getting into my day and consistently making progress on several work goals:
  1. test out gaggle.mail - simple email distribution app (not very expensive (5¢ per person per month)
  2. look over my clients emails sent on Friday. Just needed a full day R & R before getting back to her.
  3. Read more on project management

Get well fast, EG,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

monday 9/9

Postby Lynx » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:01 am

Hi steppers,

Trolling through this ongoing thread from 2013. Faced then with same thing I face now, 100+ days of intensive work. Now the fantasies begin ... there's a writing conference just out of town for several days and likely at no charge. One bus that stops close by ... no!

The drama calendar is full ... no! More bridge ... maybe. Reading long novels ... no. Short stories, essays, yes.

Two part Indian (east) cooking class to begin this Saturday ... yes.

Now to find out more about one page project management ...

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9.10 office hours

Postby Lynx » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 am

Hi steppers,

Today I'm going off to the second grantee briefing. Same content, I'm just getting steeped in what's in store.

Playing with "office hours" and I find it helps place work in the right time and context. Just had an urge to check email, and that's work, so told self, "hold up. Check it when you open your office at 9:30." Calmed right down.

To the day,
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:53 pm

HI, Lynx, Thanks for sharing. It's exciting to read about everything you're doing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Went to ortho doctor yesterday. He said to get a CT scan. SAid I'd probably need surgery. Yuck. Apparently the bone fragments came from the prongs on the tip of the two bones that hold the ball of the ball and socket joint in place. I hope I don't need surgery. Meanwhile, the elbow doesn't hurt much. Hip does and knee does. So far the computer seems to be okay.

Lynx, I often worried that I'd post and no one would write anything, and I'd be the only one posting. You had that happen. Thank you for not giving up on us.

I've been really tired lately, hopefully because my bones are healing. So I haven't done much besides reading, watching TV and playing solitaire.

Good wishes and happy stepping.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9 - 11

Postby Lynx » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 am

Hello steppers,

Elaine, hope you can avoid surgery.

Today's my partner's birthday. My client had a pair of tickets to the outdoor music series at a winery for today she passed to me as she's out of town. What luck. We're excited. Blues, my favorite genre. Apparently, you can bring your own food and the seat numbers we have are for real chairs, not sitting on the lawn. Expensive tickets.

Office hours today: 9:30 to about 4 pm. Long list to stuff to keep working through on several projects.

To the lists,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories