September 2019 Steps A Day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

9-12

Postby Lynx » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:30 am

Hi Steppers,

Had a fun evening last night attending an outdoor concert at a winery. Gary Clark Jr (blues & R&B). Gift tickets that happened to fall on my partner's birthday. Very cool all around.

In the process of taking the camp chairs apart I scratched my eyeglass lens. Accidental, but that doesn't take the scratch away. Calling the vision clinic after peek at email. Best option: I can come by and they have a fix. Worst, go by, no fix, order replacement, go back.

So, off the a workshop on project management, then paying a couple of govt bills, then bus to the vision clinic, then home.

To the day,
L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9-13

Postby Lynx » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am

Howdy,

Elaine, hope your elbow is healing fast and well.

My office hours today: maybe 10 - 6 pm.

1. Going to eyeglasses clinic to see what they can do about my scratched lens. done
  2. drafting a finishing up email to client. (Can do this with office time at a library near the clinic for a change of scenery) done& sent
  3. adjust to wearing my old glasses while others being repaired (makes me irritable, cranky, and tired) ongoing
  4. prototype forms for upcoming facilitation
  5. try out one page project manager ahead of meeting on Monday.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9-14

Postby Lynx » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:10 am

Saturday,

Heading off to my second workshop in three days. This time on Indian cooking at one of the nearby community centers. Taking food classes is great fun. Of all the recipes how many do I end up making myself? Probably less than 1%. How many of the tips and practices I take up? Maybe 25%.

Saw Twelfth Night, Or What You Will, by Wm. Shakespeare last night in my reviewer role. The company follows the Original Practice performance philosophy. Basically, they take up a some of the ways Shakespeare might have been performed back in his day and bring that to audiences today. In particular they mingled with the audience and never pretended there was a 4th wall between the stage and the viewers.

This raises my own question of what was original practice for writing reviews in 1602?

To the search box,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: September 2019 Steps A Day

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:56 am

Mini-vacation in Monterey. The aquarium, of course, was awesome. Sorry to sound like a teen-ager, but it was awesome. Arm in a sling. And my stupid body isn't doing what I want it to do, but we still had a good time.

Lynx, I'm glad you had a good time too. Well, back to the page, and the vacuum, and the bills.

Happy whatever.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:44 pm

"This raises my own question of what was original practice for writing reviews in 1602?"

Methinks 't would surely bespeak, "oh, knave, off with thy head!"

(Remember, I'm not an English major.)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9/15 original reviews

Postby Lynx » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:31 pm

Hi world,

Elaine, you got that right, there were no reviews. Newspapers arrived about 100 years later, and with them reviews. I guess. Still looking for the first.

From Wikipedia: Johann Carolus' Relation aller Fürnemmen und gedenckwürdigen Historien, published in Strassburg in 1605, is usually regarded as the first news periodical.

Alas, 12th Night first ran in 1602, in England.

I'm taking it slow tonight, but still attending to the many small tasks needed to get ready for … everything.

I took a couple of novels off my to do list today. To busy to leave them there reminding me my general leisure is again being sucked dry.

Off to sleep, soon.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:08 am

A boring day for me. I can't drive, but I can Uber and use West Cat. And slowly but surely everything is getting easier. Tomorrow I get scanned to find out if I need surgery or not. Keep fingers crossed. Even though surgery doesn't sound like fun, having the elbow go out because the bones holding it in place are too tiny sounds like less fun.

Oy, vey!

Meanwhile, I like my writing, and I hope someone else out there does too. I do realize how many little old ladies are out there with their great books that they want published that no one wants to touch. "Yes, Yes, dear!" Of course it's wonderful. Now don't you want to take a nap or something?"

To the page.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Hi stepworld,

Fairly rough day. Dropped things: a couple of hot pans in the oven because I didn't put the rack in correctly; my flip phone (the battery lid popped off—no damage; and a tin full of squid ink pasta (to the yard wastes). Finally, took a good look at my biorhythms, and yup, two of the three are in flux today, and the other was in flux yesterday!

Did get my computer backed up this morning, maybe I sensed something was afoot.

My client is back from vacation and the several complicated things we have to do are all getting into gear. Sigh, maybe reviewing my last play till January soon, and then keeping my eyes open for when I can get my rest.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Item or Batch

Postby Lynx » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:54 am

Hello,

Tho I haven't touched on it, I've been sticking with attending to my Will, my Will, we must draft the Will. Something every day. Some days I have energy for more work; other days, I make a symbolic change while I muddle through my feelings on something.

Found a blog with the 10 things a will might include. One is a no contest provision. Typically it says if you contest the will and lose you get nothing. This only makes sense for someone otherwise mentioned in the will to get something. If you're not in the will, contest it, and lose, you're out your time and legal fees, but you were to get nothing anyway without contesting the will. If you win, you might recover your legal fees and more. So, the no contest clause is worthless to stop someone not in the will.

Today: most prep for Fri and Sat where I Prep for work on Tues. In other words, in rehearsals.

To the studio,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9/20 miffed something

Postby Lynx » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:39 pm

Oh, I didn't finish yesterday's thought about item or batch. As I approach the end of my draft will, my question is do I finish off the will (signatures and notary if necessary) or do I hold up to till I get the medical power of attorney and advance directives?

Lean (Toyota) practices suggest that doing one thing through to completion is more satisfying than stopping short to do something else, stop short again, etc.

Plus, there's the release of energy when something is done.

I guess I got my answer.

Today, miffed a phone call at 9:30 with my long time support partner. Agghr! I was here, but my mind somehow found a way to let it slip. This bring up a recurrent issue, despite the many benefits of being less on alert or vigilant, when I allow that, I often miss some important detail, like remembering this call. This week in particular in the past several days there's been maybe 6 scheduling questions or changes. I lost track. What particularly hurts is I can always use support, and every time its especially needed. :bash:

I practice something from Milton Erickson: pick your punishment. It's a way to get back on track after miffing something. His wife would darn socks, I forget what his was. So I looked around. I found two. First, I'm staying put for lunch rather than going out for a bite as I first thought I might.

Second, there's dried water splatter on our vanity mirror. Maybe shining the mirror will shine my mental tracking as well.

Can general calm and relaxed ever work for me?

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Relax - bad things are going to happen

Postby Lynx » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:57 am

Re-reading posts from Feb 2014. There I posted a link to a poem by Ellen Bass: Relax. First Line: Bad things are going to happen.

I just laughed, which is what I so needed.

So, yes, I forgot a fone call. Relax, bad things are going to happen.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9-22

Postby Lynx » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:42 am

In the middle of getting things printed and assembled for the launch of a project on Tuesday, I let myself agree to reviewing a play. Told the editor, I'll do this one and then I'm off the active roster till January. Not two days later she emailed with a pitch and plea that I review something in October. Had to gently remind her of my super complex and busy fall work that crowd out doing anything else.

What gets in people that they make me have to say "no" a second, clearer, firmer, time?

Sigh.

Writing this review now, even while in the back of my head (and on lists) details jangle to get my prep complete for Tuesday.

It's 11, my goal is in by Noon, not today. Maybe by "sundown" as I mentioned to my aisle mate last night. done

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:12 pm

Lynx, you are paying the price of success. People are asking you to do things.

Me - Tituba is right. I'm posting diary entries instead of focusing on goals. A big part of the problem is that if I wrote about my goals, sometimes I wouldn't have anything to write about. So in the spirit of steps, and in the spirit of of Wishcraft, I''ll try to make my posts more about setting and accomplishing goals. I'm writing to agents and i'm doing final edits on my novel. My hope for my next goal is to visualize and describe what I want to accomplish - concrete terms, not pie-in-sky.

Wishing and stepping vibes to everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9-23

Postby Lynx » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:04 am

Hi Steppers,

Elaine, haven't heard in a while how your elbow is healing. Hope that it's fast.

Long list of stuff to do today, all around prep for various meetings. I'll spare you the long detailed list.

To the day,
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:16 am

Hi, Lynx,

Re elbow - It doesn't hurt, and I'm able to do more and more with it. That's the good part. The bad part - I'll still probably need surgery. According to the Internet - the terrible triad - that's what broke in my elbow - is almost impossible to repair. There are new surgical techniques which may help. I had a cat scan, and I'm waiting for the ortho doctor to tell me what's next.

Meanwhile, what does hurt is my other hip, my knee, and my shoulder. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow to discuss what can be done to make me feel better. (Obviously not surgery until the elbow gets sorted out.)

Re goals - I'm looking at the big picture. Immediate need - more energy. Immediate steps - keep writing to agents and keep editing. Increase amount of time spent on writing.

Happy stepping.

p.s. Just got a call from the ortho doctor. Hopefully I can avoid surgery if I don't do anything. Don''t lift anything heavier than a cell phone (I've already done that.) Don't drive. (Done that) Don't straighten arm (Haven't done that.) Keep arm in sling. (Oops.) I haven't been the ideal patient. It's rare for someone with my injury not to need surgery, but I may be one of the few who won't have to have it. I hope I haven't already blown my chance.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories