November 2019 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

very sad, too

Postby Lynx » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:56 am

Inspire wrote:Losing my hearing is a big challenge that is very hard to accept. I'm going to try to track down that thread I started a long time ago about hearing loss.

Oh, Inspire, must be one of the more difficult losses to endure. Yes, I've seen or looked up lyrics a lot. Also, sometimes closed caption works.

Your struggle recalls Beethoven's hearing decline and his struggles with it, too. Just looked it up. His thought and feelings are in his Heiligenstadt Testament. Too long to quote much here. But I saw some sparks yet from the man who co-conducted his 9th symphony while deaf!

Beethoven wrote:but what a humiliation when one stood beside me and heard a flute in the distance and I heard nothing, or someone heard the shepherd singing and again I heard nothing, such incidents brought me to the verge of despair, but little more and I would have put an end to my life — only Art it was that withheld me, ah it seemed impossible to leave the world until I had produced all that I felt called upon me to produce, and so I endured this wretched existence — truly wretched, an excitable body which a sudden change can throw from the best into the worst state — Patience — it is said that I must now choose for my guide, I have done so.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: November 2019 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 am

I thought your comments about luck were interesting. I consider myself unlucky, and I'm not very observant.

Just for the heck of it, I turned away from the kitchen table. I hadn't really studied it or anything, I just noticed there was a lot of stuff on it. After turning around I tried to remember what was on it. i remembered five things' and I didn't remember eight.

I've always thought that we make our own luck. Which is why I always wrote good wishes instead of good luck.

I think part of the problem is that we take the good luck we have for granted (some of us, of course) (including me) and we grouse about the things that don't go our way. Of course, the bad stuff is sitting there jabbing us in the stomach. Barbara Sher would say, "Don 't ever let med catch you counting your blessings." But I disagree. Don't go overboard. Don't just put up with bad stuff and things missing in your life because of all the blessings that you do have. But - and this just me - sometimes when I get into a funk, I like to remember what I do have - just to balance out the picture.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:46 pm

I went to the seminar. Really good timing. Thanks, Lynx, for jump starting me on the Medicare. I've decided to stay with Kaiser. That decision is made.

I've come home thoroughly depressed though. I can't afford Medicare. It's $135 per month plus $92 per month for Kaiser. $227 per month. That money is what I rely on for the small savings I have to cover out of pocket medical expenses and car repairs. It's scary.

I haven't worked in 15 years. Considering my recent iron deficiency experience, I don't know what work I could count on myself to be able to do. Plus, I have no idea what kind of work to look for.

The bottom line is I have to get at least a small part-time job to pay for my health insurance.

I was really blessed to receive Obamacare. $3 per month premium for health and $12 per month premium for really good dental insurance. The dental insurance covers all kinds of problems -- tooth removal, cavities filled, caps, etc.

With Kaiser, I can pay an extra $20 per month just to get 2 dental cleanings per year plus a few X-rays. No coverage for actual dental problems, which I'm dealing with right now.

It's a sunny day. I have made my decision about Medicare and Kaiser. I'm not going to think about getting a job today.

I'm going to the library later to get help seeing if the headphones I bought can get linked to my phone. Right now I'm going to go lie down and not think about anything.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:03 pm

I called about a possible root canal cost -- $300 with my insurance. I'm so sad to lose this insurance in March. Hopefully, I can get everything done before then.

I went to the library. The tech help is supposed to just be for computer stuff but she was able to easily do what i needed on my phone. i knew it was simple. I just had to press a button a couple of times instead of once. Now I have wireless headphones that work with my phone. The next step is to get them to work with the TV. Then I don't have to worry about bothering the neighbors with the TV turned up too loud. Plus, I have a really noisy wall AC next the tv so I can't watch TV using my hearing aids because of the noise of the AC. And I live in an area where we have 90 degree weather half the year. With headphones to listen to music I'm hoping cleaning, and cooking, etc. will get done which don't get done now.

Tomorrow i see the dentist again to see if there is still any infection. The pain is constant and the endodontist isn't until December 3. I might just have to take pain meds for a month and hang in there.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11 4 dental schools

Postby Lynx » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi steppers,

Inspire, I've turned to dental schools several times for care. They sometimes take insurance. Particularly lucky (I guess) when a filling I needed matched what a graduating student had to do to pass his boards. He did the work for nothing because it set him free.

The upside is the lower costs; the downside is they take an infernal amount of time. A lot of it waiting for the prof's attention to look over the work, address questions, and sign off.

Just a tip, take or leave.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11-5

Postby Lynx » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:47 am

Hi steppers,

Steps:
    Getting ready for a client's staff meeting this afternoon.

Composing a response to someone who cannot make a conference call tomorrow. These require offering options (such as access to a recording and calling to brief them afterwards) and some tact. I'd love to change if it were up to just me, but we have nearly a dozen folks who found this slot on their schedules when we made arrangements, including the person wanting a change.

Getting materials ready for workshop on Thursday.

Working out detailed arrangements to look at a hall I'm presenting in next month.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:38 pm

I'm so glad that the library worked out well for you. I was planning on going there today (different branch,) but got sidetracked.

Re dentist - I need implants, but I can't afford them. Maybe I'll try dental college or something similar. That's a challenge for another day.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:42 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote: Re dentist - I need implants, but I can't afford them. Maybe I'll try dental college or something similar. That's a challenge for another day.
My next step plan once I lose my current insurance is to look into other dental insurance. I know it's expensive, but I have so many teeth in danger of being pulled I need to look into it. I think the way it works is you have to pay into it for a year before you can actually use it. I'll let you know what I find out, Elaine.

Bad news. My brother does not want to be in touch with me. I wrote about it in the thread I started. But at least I know he received my cards so at least one of the two addresses for him are the correct one. I'll just mail each letter to two locations each time. Even if I never hear from him again I will continue to write to him. He can always throw the letters away, with or without reading them. I do have a sense of calm about the situation.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks for the dental info.

I'm sorry that your brother wasn't friendlier. But I'm glad you have a sense of calm. You did the best you could. That counts.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11-6

Postby Lynx » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:29 am

HI,

Inspire, I second Elaine's sorrow that your brother wants to keep away. Sigh.
Success as far you you found an address for him (one of the two you have) and sent your letters. The rest was up to him and he let you down.

By outward appearances today I may appear calm, inwardly I'm suiting up for a Huge Effort. My client and her board visited our accounting partner last week and were surprised with an ultimatum: stop our own accounts and let them handle the major grant we won this fall. Or, get out by Dec 31 2019.

To their surprise we went with: Okay, We'll leave. They took my client's business credit card. [She had seen this coming and just ordered one through our own account.] But ugly on their part.

Now I have a big role in making this happen.

OMG!
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:21 am

Lynx, Good luck, good wishes, good whatever.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Lynx, yes, good luck! Knowing you, you're going to make happen whatever needs to happen. Sounds like you're ready for the challenge.

Me: just had my 4th iron injection. I have energy today so they are clearly working.

Downside: I saw my dentist yesterday. I thought the pain and numbness in my face was due to one tooth. Unfortunately, one is causing the numbness, another is causing the pain. So, facing the possibility of two root canals. Just in case you haven't had a root problem - it doesn't get any better and the pain is really bad. I've been taking OTC pain meds 24/7. Fortunately, my dentist gave me a prescription for pain meds. The infection didn't respond to antibiotics so I'm taking another round, which makes me cautious, but I'm going to take them anyway. Still no endodonist appt. until December. But I called them and they put me on their cancellation list so I hope they have a cancellation.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Up & Out the Door

Postby Lynx » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:01 am

For me, an especially early morning. Got a workshop to run out of town, so breakfast, shave, dress, etc. and go!

Going about 20 miles south, so making an adventure by visiting the site for a future workshop, dropping off a book to a theater company's library, finding our favorite prepared meals main store, and generally learning how this small city is laid out.

All this after my work.

Because I'm so busy today I got to my two "keep the chain going" projects with the bare minimum. For my will parody I tracked a 20 min. documentary of fake funerals in Korea; for my review of our thread (I'm up to December 2016), I just read a pages of comments but didn't copy any out to my archive.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:09 pm

Ste[[ing very slowly today.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11-8 hunker down time

Postby Lynx » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:56 am

Hi Stpprs,

Had a sparkly workshop yesterday to get a special project launched. Two-hour sprint, and we did it. Even when I was reminded to talk slower.

Today, already got a lot of the follow-up stuff done. Still need to update my spreadsheet with everyone's contact information who participated I didn't know before. And organize some other online things.

Then off to a meeting about our draft big money contract. With sufficient attention this should wrap it and we can hunker down.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories