November 2019 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

11-19-19

Postby Lynx » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:52 am

Ongoing stuff …

Not yet:
Still need to update my spreadsheet with everyone's contact information who participated I didn't know before.
And organize some other online things.

Done:

Then off to a meeting about our draft big money contract. With sufficient attention this should wrap it and we can hunker down.

For fun ... after reminding myself about Beethoven's deafness and his composing and co-conducting the 9th while deaf, I've used the awesome search tools of the interweb to keep going on this. I'm "auditing" a massive open online course (MOOC) produced by Harvard, no less, that's going through this symphony movement by movement, theme by theme. Really digging it.

Relatedly, last night I looked us "beethoven letters" and learned a newly discovered (maybe 5 years ago) letter from LvB, six pages, with his seal and signature, probably went for over $100,000 at auction. How sad, ironic, and shameful to the culture that this very letter complained about his poverty and in fact was a plea for help with landing some work. If only he might have drawn down that future value into his living life. If that's for a letter, if anyone finds a piece of music ...

I also found Helen Keller's 1924 letter to the NY Symphony after she 'listened' with her fingers on the radio speaker diaphragm to their performance of the 9th. Ms Keller wrote so well and movingly my breathing stopped and I gazed at the screen in awe of her genius. http://archive.today/uDTCh

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: November 2019 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Busy times for you, Lynx.

Me - success - I have a copy of my novel in my computer. It's missing the last couple of weeks of edits, but they're all easy fixes - not plot twists and paragraphs that I struggled over. So I'm back in business.

A huge portion of my life seems to be about health right now. Dentist, physical therapy, tests, Dr. appointments, prep for surgery, prep for after surgery. It's obnoxious to have so much of my attention focused on my body. But it'll be worth it in the long run.

Good luck to everyone.

Me.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11-10-19

Postby Lynx » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi Steppers,

Managed a relaxing and restorative yesterday. Did a lot of little things and still managed to get in about 90 minutes on an urgent email I needed to attend to. Otherwise, mended a pair of warmups, separated the seeds out of a pomegranate, did the dishes, and puttered.

Today, very long putter, but know I have a few hours of work to attend to. I'm near 50 days without a miss on dealing with my will. Today's task is to fill out the forms to designate a beneficiary on my bank account and on our joint account (in case of a shared death experience).

I also wanted to share a couple of quotes about process from John Steinbeck's teacher: Edith Ronald Mirrielees in her guidebook Story Writing. My format is page/quote without " ".

15/For fiction, if it is to be readable, comes not out of one thing but out of two—first, out of having something to say; and second, out of an unending diligence in trying to say it.

229/ A first device ... for the improvement of output is obtaining or relatively favorable surroundings for such working hours the writer has. ... Ordinarily too a special time for writing, a special place, are worth what it costs to achieve them. They are worth it because each aids, even if only a little, in the surmounting of the chief stumbling block of all. This is the slow arrival of the writing feeling—two hours or three set aside for writing and half the time gone before the mind comes under control. Will power brings it under at last, but whatever can be saved by regulation of externals is so much clear gain.

229/ Writing skills come from writing, not from intending to write.

230/ What you are trying for is a release of the mind from thoughts of the day's work, a quickening of it for new and different effort.

I really love "writing skills comes from writing, not from intending to write." This is a formula:

X skills comes for Xing, not from intending to X.

To the X of the day,
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi. I learned something about HMO's I thought I would share. If you have an emergency situation and there is no doctor available in-network, IT'S THE INSURANCE'S RESPONSIBILITY TO FIND AN OUT-OF-NETWORK DOCTOR FOR YOU and you will only have to pay what your cost would be with the HMO. If it's an emergency, they can't make you wait for an in-network doctor. They have to immediately come up with a doctor ASAP.

If I had known that I wouldn't have waited 3 weeks for an emergency appt. with an endodontist. I have one on Wednesday for 2 root canals. Still need to check the cost.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:33 pm

That makes so much more sense, Inspire. Good healing to you.

Lynx, after your post on Beethoven, I did some googling on him. I knew that he wrote his last symphony while completely deaf. I didn't realize that "Ode to Joy" which is one of my favorite pieces was part of that. Also, I read some of his letters. In most of the letters he's asking for money or complaining about the lack of it.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:30 am

Funny thing - when I couldn't pull up a copy of my work, all I wanted was to edit my writing. Now that I have it, I'm finding all kinds of ways to procrastinate.

To the page.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:57 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:... after your post on Beethoven, I did some googling on him. I knew that he wrote his last symphony while completely deaf. I didn't realize that "Ode to Joy" which is one of my favorite pieces was part of that. Also, I read some of his letters. In most of the letters he's asking for money or complaining about the lack of it.

Unfortunately, he lived with major depression and suicidal thoughts, in addition to poverty. A very sad and difficult life. When people know about my hearing loss, they always say, "but look what Beethoven was able to do when he was deaf"! I guess they think it will make me feel better.

It doesn't make me feel any better. He was able to do amazing things, but had a terrible, miserable life. He wrote a really sad letter to his brother(s) about his hearing loss and how it affected his relationship with them.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11-11-19 move over beethoven

Postby Lynx » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi,

Apologies Inspire if our diversion into Beethoven brings you no comfort. I just read that testament and so I know he had to will himself to keep going rather than kill himself. He admitted that only his Art kept him going as he felt (in 1802) he had more to offer.

I'm semi-busy today. Letting some ideas for letters I'm drafting for my client gather form.

I've also decided about one project that's incomplete due to that client (different one) not being able to decide to close it out. I'm letting it fade away, or as I think of it, phase away. If I don't get word on how to complete it by Thanksgiving, I'll declare it Missing in Action, and close out my files. This means culling redundant materials and moving binders, etc. out of the active work area to make space for current work.

I've literally begged him to let this thing finish. Right now, I've drafted, at great costs to his budget, a report. It took 9 months. I then set a response date for team members to propose edits. No one did, so he insisted we move that a week. So we did. Got some edits which were incorporated. Then his board needed to review it (progress). And I've since sent a reminder with my invoice for last month. When I cash this check I'll not pester him any longer.

Sucks, but I did all I'm willing to do,

To the day,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Flushing past away 11-12

Postby Lynx » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:08 am

Back more "on the clock" today. Have a lunch adventure, of sorts, then back to the desk.

The adventure is to pick up a friend at her job and take her with us to lunch during pizza week ($2 slices), and whisk her back.

I feel ideas collecting for when the writing head space finds me.

to the day,
Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:29 am

Inspire, I know you have hearing loss, but I wasn't suggesting that you compare yourself to Beethoven. I'm sorry if I typed anything that wasn't appreciated.

Often when someone on the Boards mentions something, I'll look it up and comment on it. That's what I was doing, commenting on Lynx''s post about Beethoven. I'm very new to classical music. I used to think it was stupid and snobbish. I'm slowly learning to appreciated it and I can recognize some pieces. So I downloaded his 9th symphony and was excited when I heard "Ode to Joy".

Yesterday was a stay in the house and do nothing day. Not by design - it just happened. Hopefully, today won't be a repeat. Most exciting chore for today - go the the library and try out their computer help.

Necessary chore that I don't want to do. - exercise and physical therapy. I'm downloading an app that my doctor wants, but of course it's stuck on the computer and won't download more than halfway. I hope tomorrow's post says that I accomplished the exercises.

I can't wait for my surgery.

Happy stepping or whatever, everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Inspire, I know you have hearing loss, but I wasn't suggesting that you compare yourself to Beethoven. I'm sorry if I typed anything that wasn't appreciated.

I know you weren't. I'm sorry that my comments put a damper on your and Lynx's experiences of Beethoven. I was just sharing my own experience in recent years. I did warn you if I joined this thread again I'd probably be negative :( Maybe I should refrain from sharing when it's going to spoil other people's enjoyment of something. I'm glad to hear you're exploring classical music. I know it's a new field for you and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Tomorrow I get my two root canals done. Maybe not being in pain will put me in a better mood. I'm hoping the treatment will put an end to the infection that is not responding to antibiotics.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11-13

Postby Lynx » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:03 am

Hello steppers,

Inspire, looking forward to learning you're in less pain and back on to your goals. The reason ins. cos don't tell us about out of system costs is ... it's a cost and they'd rather avoid it. Classic conflict of interest.

For me today, facing getting my several meeting reminders out this morning. Then drafting a delicate letter for my client and sending it off today or tomorrow. Plus: Updating other notes and forwarding them.

That'll be plenty cause I have plans for the evening.

to the draft,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Inspire, please write what you feel and don't worry about putting a damper on my enjoyment of Beethoven. You didn't. And good luck with the root canals. I really hope you're out of pain soon.

Re insurance - They just changed my surgery date, but . . . are you ready for this . . . it's because my insurance company wants me to have it in a hospital and not in a surgery clinic. And the hospital is the more expensive option.

RE stepping - I'm off to my new all=you=can=eat Indian restaurant to do some eating and some editing. I'm really behind in Nanowrimo, but the editing should be easy so hopefully I'll catch up.

RE writing - as a writer I have to do marketing - whether I get picked by a publisher or not - and I'm thinking about how to do my blog. I'll use my material from years ago - the parts I think are good.

And in between, I have thoughts. I've seen so many times when a person's feelings get hurt by something that wasn't the speaker's intention. Example - when I worked I was in a bad mood. TO cheer me up, Laurie showed me a cute letter she'd just finished with little cartoons on it saying that we all had to chip in for buying treats for our Monday meetings. I'd just been told that I had diabetes. And I love sweet things.I figured that if I didn't chip in any money I wouldn't be tempted to eat the donuts and muffins. Oops! Her intention - "Hey it's not fair for some people to pay for goodies and not others.

p.s. That blood test was taken right after Halloween. My next ones have all come back pre-diabetic.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 11-13

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:31 pm

Lynx wrote:The reason ins. cos don't tell us about out of system costs is ... it's a cost and they'd rather avoid it. Classic conflict of interest.

good point!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:37 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Re insurance - They just changed my surgery date, but . . . are you ready for this . . . it's because my insurance company wants me to have it in a hospital and not in a surgery clinic. And the hospital is the more expensive option.

That's weird. Usually, insurance companies would rather you get things done someplace other than the hospital. Do you have any choice in the matter? The hospital will cost you more in co-pays, right?

Me: I only had to get one root canal. That's good. And I'm glad it's finally done. I hope this makes the infection go away. They did give me yet another round of antibiotics. Third round. It seems I should have responded by now.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories