December 2019 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

December 2019 Daily Steppin'

Postby Lynx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:38 am

Hello world!

We gather on this thread to make strides. Prepare, work, polish, and ship. Whatever that means for you.
Elaine wrote:Because without the steps, luck is pretty useless. but even without the luck, steps make things happen.
Every step counts. Use our support.

Delightful December stepping,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:42 am

Hi world, almost did all I intended yesterday. Did see the dance, did get treats, did reach my bus to a movie in time only to get stalled out in traffic. So came home.

And then did a few hours of basic assembly for upcoming gigs. Swiped the slate clean. Feels great.

Today, research, a talk/performance this afternoon, then maybe making a fire and reading till tired.

Or maybe something else. It's Sunday.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

12/2 goals this month

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi Steppers,

Goals: I want to get this will thing done via a notary and 2 x witnesses. Learned a heap.

As I near the done line, I'm noticing two energies. One is the feeling of getting out from under something, and the other pulls me forward to get onto the next thing, already.

Other things are closing up, too. I've let that project I worked so hard on go without the final piece being done. So it goes.

A research study I'm in want to close the study sooner than their proposed 9 months of follow up. No problem for me.

Just today, finished the draft for a key work document.

The goals are to finish these things.

And right in the middle: I have 3 consecutive days of running workshops, well, co-leading them. Still waiting approval from the insurance company that they will sell me the type of coverage this client wants me to have. Tomorrow's calls.

I have a few social things scattered about, and for the rest of the month, rest.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

12/3

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:45 am

Hi step-world,

A bit sleepy because I was up or "resting," off & on, most of the night. My partner had attended a book launch in SF CA and had her United flight rescheduled from the morning to the midnight. Then that one was delayed as well. Finally here around 3:30 am. Guess who picked her up at the airport.

A key piece of team work finished yesterday. Almost too giddy with how it turned out. A nine-month follow up to a study wants to close out early. I've let got of trying to get a decision from a former main client. Finishing my will very soon.

I dunno. Is there a theme lurking here?

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

12-4 dear diary

Postby Lynx » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 am

Dear diary,

Wrapping up a couple of long time challenges related to getting insurance my new contract required. Digi-signed the policy yesterday. Goal to to digi-sign contract today.

Refining some overnight notes for a meeting ... walk with a friend ... perhaps catching Marriage Story this evening.

As much a puttering style as I can manage.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: December 2019 Daily Steppin'

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi,

I've been panicking about how to pay for Medicare. I did a little research online. very little. then went to the Kaiser presentation at the senior center. I want to be on Kaiser. I like them and they have something I know other plans won't have. Because I'm low income, all my co-pays on services and co-pays on medication are paid for. yes, no co-pays for anything. I know that would be an advantage to other plans. I know I should do a comparison to other plans but that seems daunting to me.

Medicare will deduct $135 from my monthly income. That's a chunk of money that goes towards car repairs and dental needs and any other extras like my yearly AAA payment, my yearly auto license fees, etc. So, I won't have that. Kaiser is $100 a month. That's also what covers the above mentioned items. And if I want dental and vision it would be an extra $20 per month for 2 cleanings per year, plus an amount on glasses I can't recall.

I've been looking into part-time work but the reality is that health-wish I really can't work. I could do 5-6 hours per week if it didn't involve working with people. I've been looking on the job board at the local community college. When I went there years ago I was able to find part-time work while I was going to school. But when I look at that so much of it is 20 hours per week working with people.

My fear is that I will have to use credit cards to pay for things. 10 years ago I filed bankruptcy because I had to use credit cards for basics and then use other credit cards to make the payments on the first credit cards. I've stayed within my income and rebuilt my credit rating for 10 years now. I'm proud of what I've done. I don't want the cost of Medicare to ruin my progress. After 10 years the bankruptcy can be removed from my credit rating which will improve my credit rating even more. That will happen in March of next year. After so much work, to go back to relying on credit would really suck.

I have 3 months before my birthday. I haven't been sleeping well because of worrying about this.

I have another situation that has been weighing me down as well. My friend, who is 89 years old is going downhill rapidly. She isn't dying but she's losing her ability to do basic things. She's the only person I have that is like family. The only friend I have who is willing to see me more than a few times per year. It's scary to watch her decline and scary to think what it will be like without her in my life.

The short, dark days don't help. The holidays without family don't help. It's a tough time.

The good thing is physically I''m better and emotionally my current meds are working well.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

12/-5 In support

Postby Lynx » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:58 am

G'Morning,

Oh Inspire. So heavy a spell for you. I'm writing to offer support and may suggest an idea from time to time. Use at your discretion. Your comments in italics.

I've been panicking about how to pay for Medicare. Medicare will deduct $135 from my monthly income. That's a chunk of money … I have 3 months before my birthday. I haven't been sleeping well because of worrying about this.… My fear is that I will have to use credit cards to pay for things.
Ouch! I know in my state there are a couple of subsidy programs to help defray this costs. Maybe you qualify.

I've been looking into part-time work but the reality is that health-wish I really can't work. I could do 5-6 hours per week if it didn't involve working with people.
Hm, you may recall my several dry years awaiting my next gig. I'll keep your situation in mind, if you don't mind, and see if anything floats to the surface.

My friend, who is 89 years old is going downhill rapidly. She isn't dying but she's losing her ability to do basic things. She's the only person I have that is like family. The only friend I have who is willing to see me more than a few times per year. It's scary to watch her decline and scary to think what it will be like without her in my life.
Another tough bind for you.

The good thing is physically I''m better and emotionally my current meds are working well.
Strength to stay the course. Churchill: when going through hell, keep going.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks, Lynx. I have looked into help for the $135 from Medicare but I don't qualify. My income is about $100 per month too high. I didn't think about anything through the state. I'll check that out.

I'm terrified about just having Medicare and no Medicare Advantage (MA) plan. Medicare seems so limited and my payments would be when I get sick, which sucks. More expenses right when I wouldn't be able to work. Having the MA would be a higher monthly cost but would cover things when I am sick.

I just went over my expenses for the past 2 months and my monthly estimates are accurate. When I was sick I couldn't get all my food discounts so I had to shop at the regular grocery which cost me a lot. All my discounts (Grocery Outlet, Salvation Army, Food Bank, complex discount) require lots of driving to different places on specific days. I wasn't well enough to do that so my food bill was really high. I have to realize that if and when I get sick in the future my monthly food bill will go up a lot.

I've decided in order to manage my sky high anxiety, which makes me totally nonfunctional during the day, and no sleeping at night, I"m going to put in 2 hours per day of work on the money situation. I just spent the past hour going over the monthly for the past 2 months. I can look at the job board online for part-time jobs. Plus, whatever else I can think of.

Plus, I'm doing a relaxation tape when I wake up and can't sleep. Haven't been doing yoga. Will start that.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:04 pm

Lynx, do you have AARP? If so, is it worth the price?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Just checked out state programs to help with Medicare. My income is too high.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:23 pm

I could give up my smart phone. It costs $45 per month on Cricket. I've have it for a year now and I love having it. I do everything on it except journal write and write here on the Sher boards. My old desktop computer is in a room with no heat and no AC and a hardback chair with a tiny desk the width of the keyboard. So uncomfortable. But $45 is a lot.
'
5 years ago when I was on SSI disability I only have a little cell phone that made calls and that's it. And I had no internet. If I wanted to email or google I had to go to the library. And I had no TV because I couldn't afford cable TV. For 5 years I've watched internet stuff on my TV with hulu and Amazon Prime which are both way cheaper than cable TV. My internet through ATT is $60 per month.

Internet and smart phone are a total of $100 per month. I think Cricket is the cheapest I can get for my smartphone. ATT? I don't know. Maybe there is something cheaper.

Those are the only non-essential things in my expenses. Everything else is an absolute necessity. Argggg................
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:27 pm

I tried getting the Medicare booklet but they won't let me have it until I'm on Medicare, which seems stupid. I can read it online but that's so uncomfortable at my desktop computer. I need to learn what Medicare Part B would cover if I can't afford an MA.

Oh, I also forgot to mention it's hard to read on the desktop because I have bifocals. It's hard on my neck. I have to tip my head way back to see. The smart phone is easy on my neck.

Now that I have wireless headphones I probably could listen to music through the TV and blue ray. I haven't tried it yet. I love it with the phone. It's so great to listen to music while I do things in the apartment.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

12-5

Postby Lynx » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:36 pm

Hi steppers,

Inspire, I'll respond as best I can. If I miss question please remind me.

Re AARP: joined it to get to their dental plan, which has been good so far. I flip thru their magazine and newsletter. I have attended maybe a couple of movies. It's about $16 a year, I think. If I could have the dental without it, I'd probably let it go.

About your income being too high, sorry to hear that. Weird to say that, but that's how screwy systems become when they cut out compassion.

Re cricket and internet. Right now we have internet @ $40 month via some deal with Centurylink. I have a Virgin Mobile pay-as-you go Kycera flip feature phone. I pay about $7.50 a month. I pay 20¢ a minute for calls and 20¢ per text. Going and coming. So I get around 30 minutes a month through the plan. Unused balances roll over. BUT, I finally figured out that Google's free Google Voice is great for calls and texting. Free. I run as many calls as I can through GV now. I've never owned a smartphone, tho my partner has one and she pays $15 month through Republic.

Re: Medicare Advantage: is the question you'll need more than offered via Med. Adv. "no extra premium" levels? If not, is there a different premium, because I don't recall there way, but I might have this wrong.

Both Medicare and Medicare Advantage have co-payments and deductibles. Medigap insurance is designed to help pay those. But, that's a monthly extra costs.

Re work: Are you a fast typer? If your hearing works well through your head phones, could transcription work be a fit?

Come January, there are lots of places that do inventory counting as seasonal work.

Since you own a car, maybe courier service a couple of days a week.

Oh, about getting the book, sometimes libraries have them, and you might ask on freecycle, Nextdoor, or craigslist if someone who no longer needs theirs can give you one.

Just jammin' out loud,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

12/6/19 Getting your papers in order

Postby Lynx » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:26 am

Howdy,

I have stacks of random piles of papers related to my working life. I'm also finishing my will for notarizing, very soon. For the past couple of days I've asked why is it for my whole life I've resisted organizing my piles of paper? Well, "to get ones papers in order" is the last thing to do before a big journey, with death/dying being the biggest. Shudder. I'm not dead yet.

Getting organized, then has been a strain because it draws me unconsciously closer to dying.

How to tweak?
    I need to get these few papers organized.
    Get ready to go directly to what I need.
    Arrange & organize binders and archives for quick access.
    Thing in order have great power.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

12-7 What Next

Postby Lynx » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:54 am

Hi folks,

Finished my near ready draft of my will yesterday. Next are edits just before getting to the notary. Whew. Seinfeld's keep the chain alive worked really well. Mentioned it at a community support meeting and several people stepped up quietly to say they have struggled to get traction on completing their wills, too. There's probably a gig or workshop in this when I can see the attention and time to organize it.

For Inspire: I'm still popping with ideas. Use or ignore.

Even with cooking at home and careful shopping, meals can run maybe $5 a day, or $150 a month. The public senior centers in my county offer lunch daily, Mon - Fri, for a donation (usually $4 or $5) but they don't make a flashy deal of it and many seniors on limited income go and share these meals and are waved in.

Find groups and organizations that host potlucks and see if you can help out with set-up and clean-up in exchange for sharing the food and taking some of the leftovers.

Get a food handlers license. You spend a few hours reading for the test and then take it for a small fee. I did this twice. It's great to have. [If you recall my comments at the time, I moaned and groaned about it. Nevermind that) I'm actually thinking I could renew mine as food is a big part of the project I'm working on. With this license you can work in kitchens, find an easy effort gig maybe busing tables or prepping food, help caterers, etc.

Actually, finding a caterer nearby might be good for a low-people work set-up. The caterer is responsible for the whole thing: shopping, prep, delivery, service, clean-up, return to base, put away, clean everything, etc. I once worked after meals at a church cleaning dishes, pots, and pans. Running them through the machine and stacking them. Crank up the music headphones and have a blast.

A few hours in the library returning books to the shelves.

AARP has a program for light-load work for seniors. I think you allowed one time. At the Sr center where I work we have someone on the front desk and another in the kitchen via this program. My mother also used it.

My day calls,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories