February 2020 Daily Steps

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: from a mention

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:15 pm

Lynx wrote:... Sylvia Plath's intensive study of writers: deconstructing how their sentences and structures worked, mimicking them, etc. So, off I run to the local Univ library to find her letters home. What a prolific letter writer. And yes, here and there she drops hints. Those are fun to search for. Lynx

I'll be interested in what you find with this.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Sylvia Plath

Postby Lynx » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:43 am

Thanks for the cheer, Inspire. I'll run the quotes in this post. It may take a few days to complete.

Letters Home by Sylvia Plath. Selected by Aurelia Schober Plath (SP's mother). 1975. Lib. of Congress spine #: PS 3566 L27 Z293 1992.

Page/[my comments] & Quote

147/ [SP audits a class Alfred Kazin held at Smith] Well, I when I went to his writing class of ten, I was delighted with him, but appalled at the weak, mealy-mouthed apathy of the girls, who either were just too scared or just too stupid to have opinions.

147/ The thing about writing is not to talk, but to do it; no matter how bad or even mediocre it is, the process and production is the thing, not the sitting and theorizing about how one should write ideally, or how well one could write if one really wanted to or had the time. As Mr Kazin told me: "You don't write to support yourself; you work to support your writing."

[This aligns with the 'research' that has been getting a lot of ballyhoo in the blogworld. SP already had that ethic, and peppered through her letters are her attempts to keep writing going even through crazy times. Also, your prolix writing of letters is writing, Ms. Plath.]

170-171/ [SP comments on begin asked to revise a poem] Prose, I wouldn't mind, but a poem is like a little watch: alter the delicate juxtaposition of cogs, and it just may not tick.

193/ Instead of wishing rather frantically, as I once did, to be brilliant, creative, and successful all at once, I now have a steadier, more practical approach which admits my various limitations and blind spots and works a little day by day to overcome them slowly without expecting immediate, or even eventual perfection. Life is rich, full, and I am discovering more about it by living every challenging day.

201-202/ Perhaps the hardest thing I have to accept in life is "not being perfect" in any way, but only striving in several directions for expression: in living (with people and the world), and writing, both of which activities paradoxically limit and enrich each other. Gone is the simple college cycle of winning prizes, and here is the more complex, less clear-cut arena of life, where there is no single definite aim, but a complex degree of aims, with no prizes to tell you you've done well. Only the sudden flashes of joy that come when you commune deeply with another person, or see a particularly golden mist at sunrise, or recognize on paper a crystal expression of a thought that you never expected to write down.

208/ Writing sharpens life; life enriches writing.

211/ When I say I must write, I don't mean I must publish. There is a great difference.
… I have no illusions about my writing any more; I think I can be competent and publish occasionally if I work. But I am dependent on the process of writing, not on the acceptance; and If I have a dry spell the way I did last term, I wait and live harder, eyes, ears, and heart open, and when the productive time comes, it is that much richer.

275/ Every day one has to earn the name of "writer" over again, with much wrestling.

306/ Just to know it is normal to have cycles of feeling barren as hell sustains one. I am becoming more and more accustomed to it, but both Ted [Hughes, Plath's poet husband] and I realize that the fatality is to stop writing. We would go on, daily, writing a few pages of drivel until the juice came back, rather than stop, because the inertia built up is terrible to conquer. So, for our "health" we write at least two hours a day.

That's all I clipped from giving this a speedy skimming. If she'd not killed herself @ 30 she'd be about 86 or 87.

Sad,
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: February 2020 Daily Steps

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:51 am

I'm wishing you good things, Inspire. The job sounds right for you.

Me - bad day. Medical problems. Don't ask.

Lynx, yes, self pub doesn't exactly let you stand out. The latest problem - I can't find a site that lets you self pub for free anymore, Createspace died. To be honest, I haven't looked very hard. I'm at the complain a lot but don't do anything about it stage. My friend self published a book and spent about three thousand dollars. Yikes! I'm not willing to do that.

Good luck to us all.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

2-10

Postby Lynx » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:38 pm

Hi steppers,

Elaine, I'm not asking.

Inspire, on point to hear if they contact you.

Myself, had a frustrating morning where this big whopping project I work on didn't have a quorum on a conference call for planning twice in a row (last month and this month). So I scrapped the original agenda and thought some with the folks who did show up what we might do about it. Upstart is a survey. Guess who composes and sends it ...

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:21 am

"Guess who composes and sends it ..." Ooh, oooh, ooh!!! Let me guess. I'll bet it was you, Lynx.

Inspiresuccess, Hopefully, you'll get the job you're writing about, and this idea is totally useless - Would the Americans With Disabilities Act be helpful? Oh, irony of ironies - you're probably too healthy for them.

Me - the good news - there are still places that will let me self-publish for free. And that's really good news. On a different note, my energy level has bounced from very productive to didn't-do-zip-all-day.

On a different note. A few years ago, My husband, mother-in-law, and I took two trips to visit close friends of my MIL who lived several hours away by car. Both friends died within the next two years. That, and other similar things made me realize how important it is to do things now because tomorrow might be too late.

My big obstacles at the moment. Trying, trying, trying to make sense of our new digital age.

I'm thinking of your logon, Inspire. This website has truly inspired success.

Bye, all.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

2-12

Postby Lynx » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:55 am

Hello,

Had a 'rub' a couple of days ago that I'm beginning to chill about, a little. Lacked a quorum for a conference call and I really felt the uprush of something I hadn't really fully processed yet in my life: being the first born and asked to be "in charge" in my parents' absence when my brothers had not intentions of letting me really boss over them. Frequently, naturally, as I look back, this dynamic has re-emerged in my living.

Sigh. My reminder: no hassles—no job.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:15 pm

Elaine --- RE: ADA. If...........I got the job but couldn't do it well and was going to be fired because of it, I could contact ADA. They might require the office to buy an ergonomic keyboard but only if the office had a certain number of employees. This is a small office and wouldn't be able to afford it. Thanks for mentioning it though. It made me think of what I know about ADA because of my hearing loss.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skyland » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi:

Now that this site is more or less completely off the grid I feel a little less squeamish about posting.

1) someone attempted a DOS and when I couldn’t check in to the Index page I got a sense of what it’s going to be like when this site goes down. I can tell you from past experience it’s not easy because you may never be in touch with the friends you’ve made again.

2) regards to Sylvia Plath some people may think I became obsessed with her which isn’t necessarily the case. I feel my poem that became a hit about climbing Mt. Everest was misunderstood. It had nothing to do with me personally having something to hide. Like who would have cared if I did!
skyland
New Poster
New Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:27 pm

Hi Steppers,

I'm done with obsessing about my tremors and this potential job. I've made myself miserable for an entire month. Haven't heard from them about a possible interview.

I have some money in savings that I'll just have to use for health insurance. I have an appointment with ICAP tomorrow. I doubt they can help but I'll try anyway.

As far as a job goes I just don't know what I can do. I need to take a short break from the whole thing.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Valentine's Day

Postby Lynx » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:48 am

Hello all,

It's the other V Day. Have a delightful one.

Inspire, fully support your break from all this. Walk as much as you can, breathe, make Art!

Myself, thought I'd have to draft an agreement, but got an email today that one of the parties is working on it. So, I got in a bit of fun by going to a live Jazz concert.

Maybe more music events the next two days. Wow, if I pull this off that's 3 in a row.

I'll make a go for it,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Valentine's Day

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:28 am

Lynx wrote: Inspire, fully support your break from all this. Walk as much as you can, breathe, make Art!
Lynx
Thanks.

I've come to the awful conclusion today that I CANNOT DO THE OFFICE JOB. I've been fooling myself for a month. But I needed to go through that to get the message. I have to try to be open. That's so hard. I keep telling myself what I can't do but I don't know what i can do but I won't find out if I keep focusing on what I can't do.

I have walked 2 days in a row and will walk today as well.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:54 am

Lynx, I can't possibly tell you how much it means to me for you to be making this daily trek with me. I don't know what I'd do without you these days.

I'm going to try to be positive. I know Barbara isn't big on that but I'm sick of hearing myself whine. I've discovered something new about myself. My tremors affect my ability to work. Good to know. I'm not physically sick. This is good. The weather has been nice.

Tremors. I'm going to start going to a support group. I learned a lot from my hearing loss support group. They helped me understand what things I can and can't do. Because of that, I've done a lot more than I would have before that. I wouldn't be going to the two churches I'm going to or the meditation group or the women's group or the book club. That's a lot! Everything I enjoy in my life right now has come about from getting help from my hearing loss group. Maybe the tremors group can help as well. If nothing else, I won't feel so alone facing it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:33 pm

Just got back from my ICAP meeting. The only program that I might qualify for would be $20 less per month. The guy was really nice. He definitely agreed with me that continuing on Kaiser is the best way to go for unless they discontinue a low income program which saved me $1,900 in co-pays last year. If Kaiser discontinues it's low income program then it would be worth it to compare it to other companies.

I feel like I'm being punished for getting older. Not fair! Of course Bernie's Medicare for All sounds ideal, i just don't think he could get it through Congress even if we did regain the Senate. It seems like a fairy tale rather than a possibility.

I did find out a really important thing. My ACA coverage will not automatically discontinue itself. I have to do that. I thought it would happen automatically. Good to know. Will call my ACA guy and ask to discontinue it for me. If I didn't discontinue I could get in trouble. Last thing I need is more trouble!

I'm glad I went today. One more thing to get done with.

Lynx, way back somewhere in this thread you mentioned something about a place I could get help finding a job because I'm disabled or a senior. I don't remember what it was. Do you know what I'm talking about?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:06 pm

Now I'm confused. I just talked to my ACA guy and he's cancelled my ACA ending February. But he asked if I wanted to continue the dental insurance. Which confuses me because I got it at the same time I got ACA. But he said I can still get it until the end of 2020. I'll try to double check that somehow. But it would help.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

updates

Postby Lynx » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:13 pm

Hello. Thanks Inspire for the several updates. Yes, the brilliant health care system carves our unitary bodies into several slices. Analytic reasoning at it's worse. There's healthcare for the body; dental care for the teeth, and mental health care for thoughts and feelings.

I had ACA dental for a bit and it worked well enough for cleanings and such. Used the local dental school. Everything is slow there and takes multiple trips. At that time I had some leisure as I was not engaged for any work. Also, as their customers are really the students, they were very poor on customer service on my side: like sending x-rays to my private dentist when the time came.

I'm happy my bits of cheer and support helped you hang in there. The future is always indeterminate. Consider the $20 a month help as a starter fund or support.

"Lynx, way back somewhere in this thread you mentioned something about a place I could get help finding a job because I'm disabled or a senior. I don't remember what it was. Do you know what I'm talking about?"

Yup. This is a site for AARP's Senior Employment Program.. It's a Dept of Labor (Federal) program, so look for other vendors offering it.

In December, found this foundation that helps with some medical costs, depending on what the issue is: https://www.healthwellfoundation.org/patients/

Just found this site, haven't vetted it much but it might drop a worthwhile idea or two: medicareresources.org

Lynx

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories