March 2020 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: March 2020 Daily Stepping

Post by Elaine Glimme »

I'm shocked that that would happen, Paralegalgirl. Bad things do happen in this world.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"

paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by paralegalgirl »

Thanks Elaine. One of the problems with the approach that the monitors took was that it gave us a false sense of security but there were people who were lurking on this board who were uncomfortable with self-help and cynical toward it. :)

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

a day down

Post by Lynx »

Hi steppers,

My dear biorhythms are cratering down to Zero tonight around 8 pm. I can feel it as a draggy body, dull mind, and indifferent heart. Would prefer to take the whole day off, but can't allow that or I'll break the chain of work on this grant and some other research.

So, a notch up from a day off is "a day down." Simply get one foot in front of the last step.

I'll report tomorrow how it goes.
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

Mark Twain was right. In writing, a single word or comma can meant he difference between lightning and a lightning bug. I'm taking a more careful approach to my editing, going a lot slower and catching more things. So far - 4 errors in 25 pages.

It's a beautiful day outside, and hopefully, I'l get something done out there. In the garden, that is.

Yesterday, I got a card out to my mother in law. I hope she's not going stir crazy.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

stir crazy and covid-19

Post by Lynx »

Hi steppers,
I'm moving. A good thing. I check every morning. If not moving, try to scream. If no one hears me … I'm not even going to think about it.

Everyday I set "office hours." Basically, I check email to open the office and stop checking them to close it. Today, I'm making office hours 10:30 - 5:30.

So, first decision of the day.

More steps on stuff I've listed: grant drafting, condo research.

On the 'not today' list: A new step emerged when I got my fresh credit cards a couple of days ago. I need to review my credit card bills and go in and change the details on all my automatic charges. A couple are episodic (like tolls on bridges) or dormant (like my public utilities bill due to a positive credit to my balance).

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by paralegalgirl »

I won’t bother going to the emergency room or a clinic for the symptoms of the flu. At the emergency room last year the medical personnel couldn’t even take an accurate blood pressure reading. I don’t recall them even offering the flu vaccine.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

I might complete a garden project in the next week.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Work & More Work

Post by Lynx »

Did my rewriting of 4 answers to grant questions yesterday. Three hard working and one landed in my hands from something my client wrote for a different answer. Cut and Paste.

Today: 4 answers again. Right now, dropping in on 24 hours of music from NYC on livestream: Music Never Sleeps NYC: Home

Fun use of internet technology. I drop by and listen as I can between bouts of work if I have to focus in silence.

Up next is probably the hardest.
Here goes,
L

paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by paralegalgirl »

Went grocery shopping for a friend who is home bound. She’s become completely paranoid about leaving and catching the virus.

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

Got take-out from my all-you-can-eat Indian/Pakistani restaurant and left a big tip.

And I talked to my daughter for a really long time, which was great. She's a doctor, and I really wanted to know what was happening, but I was afraid that she'd be too busy and/or too tired. She wasn't. With a couple of exceptions, she says the people she's working with are great, supporting each other, and she says it's hard, but it's also uplifting to see people stepping up and doing what's best. The administrators know that they're taking a huge hit financially. They're telling their people not to worry about that - to just do what needs to be done. They'd started being careful with protective clothing weeks ago, so they aren't running out. They've changed protocol, coming up with ways to conserve the masks and gowns. They do as much doctoring on line, and without coming in contact with their patients, so that they don't go through the precious masks, gloves, etc. Yes, you should stay at home if you're sick unless you can't breathe. So far, her hospital isn't swamped. All the elective surgeries have been cancelled, and they've dedicated one building for the virus and another building for everything else, and so far the hospital is really quiet.

They San Francisco Bay area counties ordered the shelter in place a day or two before the governor put in the order for the state. The numbers are climbing, but not going crazy. Hopefully that's not going to change. It's scary watching the numbers for New York (which was only about four days behind California) and Los Angeles which was only one or two days behind the Bay Area.

She said her kids' schools did a great job of sending the kids home with plans for how they were going to do their lessons while the shelter in place was in effect. The kids even had a designated time for a zoom conference so they could visit with their friends. Her husband's school district, on the other hand, (Her husband is a teacher) sent the kids home, then told the teachers they had to come in, then told the teachers to go home. No plans. email lists or phone lists. The kids had no books or anything. They probably thought this was going to be three=week (much longer) vacation. They teachers all got together and figured out a plan for how they were going to teach during the shelter order.

That's it for me.

Inspire, I hope you're okay, and that you're coping with the isolation and the challenges.