Fitness 2004 - July

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Fitness 2004 - July

Postby cc » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:06 am

Ever try to start a fitness routine, but find it hard to continue? Use this thread to post your fitness successes -- brag about every baby step you take. We'll cheer you along. Feel free to refer back to the other "Fitness 2004" threads to see what we did earlier in the year.
cc
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

off to a running start

Postby Izbit » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:15 am

In the June thread, I wrote: "So, onto July. My goals for July are to run at least 55 miles, over at least 13 runs, to run to work at least twice, and to bike twice." Well, I started the month of right by running to work today -- about 9 miles. My legs were pretty tired by the end, but overall it felt good. (Although, lesson to self: do not use camelback water carrier that has been sitting in closet for almost 2 years without washing it out first.) By the end of the month, I'd like to build up my endurance so I can take the alternate route at the end, which is longer, but very scenic. Whooo hooo.
Izbit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby GiniDee » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:17 am

Well, I'm taking two days to do the Great Horizontal Hermit Crab Detox. It consists of lying in bed surrounded by bottles of spring water with a bit of orange juice added for the blood sugar, and reading every single book of humor I own - S.J. Perelman, Erma Bombeck, Jack Vance, the 12-book Thieves' World Series, James Thurber, the Harry Harrison novels, a smidge of Robert Benchley and Dorothy Parker, some P.G. Wodehouse, and my all-time fave, The Portable Curmudgeon. That way I can laugh my *ss off while I'm detoxing as well! Will get up to check in from time to time, but otherwise, I'm sticking to the bottom of my tidepool! Hugs to all you active types!
GiniDee :mrgreen: My idea of a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. :mrgreen: GiniDee :mrgreen:
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:50 am

4 Miles yesterday ... Cha-ching! 9 - 12 tomorrow. We'll see how I feel. Update: I meant Saturday above. This post was done Thursday.
Last edited by Scenario Thinker on Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Cookies for running fuel

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:15 am

GiniDee, I'm living proof that you can run marathons and still eat cookies (or visa versa). I've been on the "seasonal" sugar cookies they have at my grocery store (packs of ten, I usually buy two at a time). I started out in one of the seasons years ago (I don't remember which one), say Halloween and Thanksgiving with orange frosting. Then, when they started running out, I thought good, I will stop buying them ... because they won't be there any more! BUT NO, a week later they were there again, now they had green and red for Christmas. I think it's pink for Valentine's, yellow for Easter, red and white for Fourth of July. I'm still buying yellow, although inventories have been sparse when I go there lately. Last year they did have red and white this time of year. Maybe they're just trying to finish the yellow. (Sorry for the colors if you use bsher or classic board style). cc, I've found the biggest mental block from exercise is the one just before you actually start heading for the locker room. OK, besides the other one where you're at mile 22 in the marathon and your body says, NO, NO, NO, and you have to tell it YES, YES, YES, and one more YES to be able to move forward ... at all! Izbit, Good job ... 9 miles! I have like 4 or 5 camel back type hydration systems and I didn't even bother checking my old liners (yuck!). I just went out and bought a new 35 oz. I'll probably get a 50 oz before the season's over.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:24 pm

Well, it wasn't too bad of a week (see Izbit, I'm back on the weekly mentality already :) ). Tuesday: 5 miles. Outside part of the way, treadmill the rest. It was too hot outside to do all 5. Thursday: 5 miles. Same as Tuesday, but more time outside ... cooler day. Saturday: 11 miles. The trails were all dry this time. The only obstacles were sour \"digestion\" and feet that started hurting after 6 or 7 miles. But, I feel good now, the after effect.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby quantumleap » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:14 am

Hi all, This is a small fitness success, but a very significant one for me so I'd like to slot it in here if I may. I acquired an old exercise bike from a friend a while ago and have managed to successfully incorporate it into my routine twice a day, to the point where I am no longer thinking \"Ugh, exercise\". :lol:
quantumleap
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:30 am

Way to go Quantum! That's the absolute main thing about exercise ... do what you love to do! Just like with your dreams.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby newwrinkle9 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:01 pm

I am very pleased to be able to report that for the past month I have been consistent in averaging four to five days of exercise a week, which is definitely an increase over what I was putting in before. I do power yoga, bike rides, jogs and tennis. I’ve always had spurts of being physically active but recently I have been much more dedicated about it. My trick has been to construct a biweekly chart where I can mark the minutes I exercise in any of these sport categories each day for later review. Noticing the difference it makes in my mood also helps, as well as finding a new weekly tennis partner with whom I am having a blast—we have so much fun together! (She just happens to be my sister!) Kudos to all of you who are getting off your hiney in order to get sweaty! This is one of the most fundamental ways we can take care of ourselves.
newwrinkle9
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby cc » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:20 am

You are all doing so well! I'm impressed. I just started reading Twyla Tharp's The Creative Habit. She talks about the importance of ritual in accomplishing goals. It sounds like you are there!
cc
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby StacyL » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:41 am

Hi all! Last week I only walked about 7.5 miles but I did do my Pilates and lifting each one time. Am having a slow start this week. :( Not sure what is going on but hope to get moving today. I have realized that I enjoy walking outside much more than walking on the treadmill. Unfortunately most days it has to be the treadmill or nothing. Oh well, someday that will change.
StacyL
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:51 am

I am reminded how tough it is to keep up a marathon training regimen, especially when flirting with injuries. Last Saturday was a planned 7 mile run for the \"novices\". But the Gatorade was at the 4 mile mark before the turnaround, so our coach said the extra mile won't hurt. The \"advanced\" participants (which I theoretically am, but I'm determining my distances somewhere in the middle) were to run 10 miles. Well, it turns out the 4 mile mark was really the 4.7 mile mark, and the 5 mile mark was at least the 5.5 mile mark. So, since I felt pretty good, I went to the 5.5 mark and turned around. I pushed it, not like I was going fast, but I kept pushing my effort versus taking it easy. I felt good after the run ... the after effect as I said. (By the way our coach, has run in the Eco Challenge a multi day adventure race over very tough terrain, so even though he is very realistic on how far people should push things, running through water and going a few extra miles is nothing to him, so I think he may tend to forget sometimes). 2 Miles - Well, I didn't say this last time, because I didn't want to whine, but my heel was REALLY sore. I thought it would be OK by Monday, but was still very sore from Saturday. I ran a couple miles, but it didn't loosen up, so I quit. 5 Miles - Wednesday, I ran in the heat and humidity, but just as a storm was approaching (on radar ... Weather.com). So, I ran before the storm, but as the clouds covered the sun. It turned out pretty good, but when the sun peeked out, boy was it HOT. So, I was thinking, man this is tough. After a couple miles though, my heel loosened up and I ran pretty much soreness-free for the rest of the way. 5 Miles - Then, yesterday was even hotter and still humid, so I didn't even bother going outside, but ran on the treadmill. Again, sore at first, but loosened up and was OK. Bottom line, I kind of over did the mileage and especially the effort (the push) last Saturday and it took a while to recuperate. So, I guess so far so good. This weekend is about 12-16 miles depending on how I feel (if I feel like a novice or an advanced). Next weekend is a half marathon race in Chicago.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:32 pm

OK, now today, I find out the 11 miles I thought I did last week was really (really) 12. OK, so our expert mileage measurer isn't with us any more. He used a bike odometer. But the fact is, the turn around point today for 12 miles (for the \"novices\") was the same place I turned around last week thinking it was 11. :?: 15 Miles - So, today the heat blew away from the Chicago area and it was cool and not as humid. I ended up doing over 15 miles. Whew! I actually felt better than last week, mostly because of the change in weather. The rest of the \"advanced\" group did 16 miles, but I cut it short (and through a shortcut :D ). I basically just ran out of steam. Plus my heel, after loosening up from initial soreness after the first couple of miles, then began to feel sore again after 13 miles or so. I can't wait til the high teens! I don't know if I'd call it a runner's high, but I certainly get into a \"zone\". It's almost like meditation. I also can think a lot. Of my scenarios.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby cc » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:58 pm

Good for you S.Thinker! It is so encouraging to see how much progress you're making. I was able to see the results of my walking and aerobics this weekend. I met up with friends from high school (classes of 75/76/77). By the end of the evening I still had plenty of energy and could have danced the night away, while the rest were panting and headed for chairs! It certainly gave me incentive to continue my workouts. :D So, how's everyone else?
cc
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby stories » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:06 am

Just a quick check-in to let y'all know about a fitness/weight-loss program I started. It is called ReShape Yourself and is offered through the county extension office (every county in the US has one--funded with tax dollars through the Dept. of Agriculture and a local/regional college. The program in your county may be called something else, but chances are they have one--or will start one if you ask) ReShape Yourself runs for 15 weeks. The program consists of sensible eating-according to the food guide pyramid, 30 minutes of walking per day, and reasonable weight loss oals (.5-1 lb/wk for women, 1-2/lbs/wk for men). There is a short info period each week and we report our weight change and miles walked (on paper, verified by one buddy so it isn't a big public spectacle). The info is research-based and somewhat tailored to our needs. The cost is $30 for materials and then each week each participant contributes $1 to a kitty. At the end of the 15 weeks, everyone who has reached or surpassed their weight loss goal splits the money. What I like aout the program is that there is nothing faddish about it--no special food to buy, no outlandish routines--just a sensible approach to chaging habits for a healthier lifestyle. I have met new people in my \"buddies\" and I enjoy the info (and door prizes). I'm in my third week. It has been really hard for me to walk as I developed a painful foot condition earlier in the summer (plantar facitis). I have made it to the gym and the elliptical trainer which relieves some of the foot pain as it isn't stepping per se. I have been interviewing for teaching positions and am in a hurry up and wait limbo which has revealed my eating for stress relief patterns (some days I can resist and others , well...) My goal is to lose 12 lbs over the 15 weeks--lost 2 the first week, gained 4 the next--ARGGHH. I'm sure get more consistent once I hear something ifnal about job placement and establish my school routines (school starts ofr teachers 8/11). Check out the resources of your county extension office. They offer lots and lots of good programs and information. Faye
stories
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories