Door are opening

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Door are opening

Postby Tituba » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:20 am

Here is the testimonial I got from the CEO of the company where I held my first corporate improv workshop “Kate did a tremendous job for us with her Improv Training for the Workplace at our office. The program included some innovative team-building activities based on improv exercises, and the staff had a lot of fun the whole time. Some of the highlights included the improv poem, the partner exercises, and the skit at the end to wrap up the training. We have never done team building before with an improv orientation, it was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. The staff liked the activities and improv approach, I liked the fact that Kate did a nice job of tying it all into business concepts including teamwork in the workplace. This is a great workshop, Kate comes highly recommended!” Saturday I start teaching a six week adult ed class in improv.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Ah, man, I know better. Tonight I talked to a good friend of mine about this dream. Why, oh why, did I do that???? Jeez. I've been self-employed for seven years now and for seven years she has continually asked me if I'm looking for a job. Hello, I have a job... Most the time, I've been able to tune her out. Tonight I told her about getting this break doing the improv training for a company. She didn't say a word. Not a word. Not "gee that sounds like a good break" - or even something negative. Not a word. I read disapproval in her silence. Ya know.....those naysayers are everywhere.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:36 pm

Yeah, it happens all the time at work, especially when you tell management the way it is, they know it, but they can't say a thing without incriminating themselves in some way (i.e., if I had a tape recorder). I'd like to slap 'em sometimes. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:22 pm

Her definition of "success" for me is to go back to cubicle-land again. Doesn't even matter if the money is not as good as working for myself. There is something about me working for myself that really bothers her. So, I think my announcement that I'm pursuing a new company tells her that her dream for me to go back to corporate America is less likely to happen. I value my on line friends and the support they provide, but it would be kinda nice if someone who is my friend would have something positive to say. I know. Don't go to the hardware store for milk viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22960
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Moonracer » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Aaaarrrgghhh! I just spent twenty minutes myself at the hardware store looking for milk! Why do we do this????? Actually, I know why I did it: I'm in trouble and was hoping for some words of encouragement. A weak moment caused me to tell more than I should have. I must love rejection! Tituba, it's possible that she also stopped talking because she realizes that this situation is working for you. People who don't fit the mold are hard for these types to figure out. Been a square peg all my life and have an entire family who keeps trying to shove me into that round, uncomfortable hole. You just keep proving her wrong (or at least her belief in the type of job one must have) over and over again with your success. To say something about getting another cubicle job would be stupid, so she didn't say anything. She didn't give you any pats on the back either, but that may come in time. And hey, at least she didn't s***t all over your parade, right?
Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Tituba, I had no idea you were a presenter at LANES or that you gave corportate improv workshops! What a revelation to me. That is totally awesome. I am really impressed with all you've done to set up income streams, and I can imagine that both the computer repair and workshops are very lucrative careers indeed. You've shown me and others how great self-employment can be. Thank you.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:07 am

I can imagine that both the computer repair and workshops are very lucrative careers indeed. You've shown me and others how great self-employment can be.
Thanks - but all the improv (except for adult ed) has been for free. I wanted to get some corporate testimonials under my belt before I start charging.
it's possible that she also stopped talking because she realizes that this situation is working for you.
That may be. Maybe it is just me reading negativity into silence.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:20 am

Tituba wrote:That may be. Maybe it is just me reading negativity into silence.
It would still be nice to get some encouragement. Bottom line is, yes support is good, but it really only matters what you think, not anyone else. You either have to find the people who will support you or stay away from the ones that won't. I know it's still hard when people act like that.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:05 pm

I received an email today from the Greater Merrimack Valley Human Resources Association. They've asked me to present a workshop to the membership in April, 2010. That will be a great opportunity to network with HR people!
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Moonracer » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:41 pm

You're on a serious roll here, Tituba! :D
Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AVATC » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:23 pm

Tituba wrote:Ah, man, I know better. Tonight I talked to a good friend of mine about this dream. Why, oh why, did I do that???? Jeez. I've been self-employed for seven years now and for seven years she has continually asked me if I'm looking for a job. Hello, I have a job... Most the time, I've been able to tune her out. Tonight I told her about getting this break doing the improv training for a company. She didn't say a word. Not a word. Not "gee that sounds like a good break" - or even something negative. Not a word. I read disapproval in her silence. Ya know.....those naysayers are everywhere.
Tituba, first let me say I am so thrilled for you to see this continual progress and evolution on your improv dreams and goals! Don't read disapproval in your friend's silence. Instead, know that she is fighting her own Resistance monster! After having similar reactions from friends, I wrote a blog article (How to lose friends and irritate people) about this very thing a while back, which you may find helpful. I observed that people have a vested interest in keeping you the same. If you dare to create goals and attempt to reach them, you make other people think about what's missing in their own lives. They will take out their frustration over their own lives by directing it at you. I quoted passages from Barbara and Steven Pressfield that explain this bizarre phenomenon better than I ever could. The only approval you need is from that person in the mirror. I bet if you look at her and think about all your success in improv, the person you see will be smiling the biggest, silliest, happiest grin you could imagine! Keep heading toward your dreams, and best wishes for all your continued success!
Karen Commins
http://www.KarenCommins.com
My audiobooks on Audible.com: http://goo.gl/3A5Mu6
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:55 pm

Thanks AVATC, great article as always Hmmm,
I realized that people have a vested interest in keeping you the same.
Makes me wonder what vested interest I HAVE in keeping me the same....... Time to journal.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby educguess » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Tituba: Congratulations. It is very exciting to have such an endorsement!!!!! Putting those steps together is wonderful. I was on sologig today and there was 3 month contract for work similar to what you are doing for ...(yes a corporation) arggggh my brain has switched gears I believe in the PA area - I if I recall correctly you are in the NY area. Anyhow an idea and if you want me to dig deeper in the brain fibers I will. My internet path to it was indeed.com - researching trainer options. Next I understand wanting support from friends - live that you do face to face interactions with. I have a group of women I bowl with I do not even mention any longer what I am up to. 4 out of the 5 think I am scattered. 1 will support very well, but wonders why I am always trying to find something new and different. Family tolerates me - they love me (sisters, brothers and mother). I have one friend that get excited with me. Just wish we could connect more often. Sooooo keep the special connections here and continue to develop a live support network - success team - mastermind also. LOL You go for the gold girl. Your talent and generosity is not to be surpassed. !!!!!!!
[color=#4000BF]"How To" LIfe Consultants, LLC " Personal Development for Mult-talented Individuals" http://www.HowToInLife.com [/color]
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Tituba the only one that can tell you what kind of "job" you should have is you. Perhaps your friend's silence is tinged with a bit of jealousy...or she's just too proud to 'eat crow'. You are a success, simply because you are you. Agreed wit what AVATAC had to say about people wanting to keep you the same. Somehow it threatens them to see others succeed. reminds them of their own insecurities, maybe even their own failures. Great job...am sooo happy for you. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby educguess » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:14 pm

Tituba: Just a note on my lack of observation - Boston area - North Shore - ok I am facing the correct direction now. I did look at Sologig.com again and it is an interesting site. I will bet that it is one you are familiar with as evidenced by all your marvelous fines you share with us. Keep on keeping on - as Barbara says you have a gift we all need to receive from you. Thanks!! and Congrats!
[color=#4000BF]"How To" LIfe Consultants, LLC " Personal Development for Mult-talented Individuals" http://www.HowToInLife.com [/color]
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories