Door are opening

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby Moonracer » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:58 am

You are doing a fantastic job of networking, Tituba. You should be really proud of yourself.
Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:09 am

Thanks. I could do a better job in followup. I have a pile of business cards on my desk that I collect at these events. What I wish is that some marketing type person would have an adult ed class to teach what to do with the cards, how to cold call without being a telemarketer etc. Hey, Moonracer - how about a teleclass on this?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:46 pm

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from someone I met over three years ago at a workshop. She happened to see something I posted on an improv board and remembered me. She told me about a meeting in Boston of corporate trainers. They were conducting a lab and thought I'd like to attend. It was free so I thought 'why not.' It was great. They were all people actually doing what I want to be doing. They were looking for ways to incorporate improv into what they do so it was very much a give & take. We all came away energized. There is another meeting next month. I feel like I've made an important networking contact as these are people who are actually living my dream and are willing to share. :)
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby moviegal » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:47 am

It's so great to see the progress that you are making on your dream! I'm always amazed whenever I watch Improv and see the actors make this stuff up off the top of their heads! :shock:
moviegal
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed May 31, 2006 3:11 pm

Image What a day today was! At the beginning of this year I wrote in my planner that my intention was to begin teaching improv to business people. Today I was held a workshop for a company that works with "displaced executives." They hold mock interviews, give them office space etc. They are CFOs and the like. Anyways, my workshop was a BIG hit. Everyone was laughing and really got into it. And......even though I was told that this workshop would be a freebie.....the company gave me $100 for the hour workshop! Yes! And......I got home and a phone call. One was from a chamber of commerce director who remembered me from last year when I gave a free presentation. He is having a chamber meeting this summer and wants to hire me. And....I got an email from someone who saw my show last week and wants to hire my troupe to do alittle improv for their company on the streets of Boston as a publicity event! I'm in the flow and it feels great!
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jezicka » Wed May 31, 2006 3:35 pm

HOORAY! Be sure and let me know when you're coming to DC!
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed May 31, 2006 4:24 pm

Tituba wrote:Today I was held a workshop for a company that works with "displaced executives." They hold mock interviews, give them office space etc. They are CFOs and the like. Anyways, my workshop was a BIG hit. Everyone was laughing and really got into it.
Hey, displaced executives eventually become placed, and they may remember that a change of pace and a new outlook on things helped them get placed ... and will remember you for the value you added. And executives have budgets!
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed May 31, 2006 6:31 pm

Hey, displaced executives eventually become placed, and they may remember that a change of pace and a new outlook on things helped them get placed ... and will remember you for the value you added
Yes, and they most certainly have contacts who are still employed. It was a good networking opportunity. You never know. A year ago I did a free workshop for the chamber of commerce directors. I recently started advertising for a new beginner's improv class. One person sent me their registration and check. I called her to tell her that I'd be holding her check until I got enough students in case I had to cancel it. She said that just today my name came up at a meeting she attended at the chamber of commerce. The director was trying to remember my name as he is interested in having me present a workshop at their function. She spoke up and gave him my info. So, right place, right time. Serendipity is working for me right now.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby twisterintexas » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:59 am

This is GREAT news for you, Tituba! I am very happy for you.
twisterintexas
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby docsue » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:19 am

Wow! It's been a while since I've seen you post about this. I am so thrilled for you! I saw a posting on Bernardo's List for an improve for executives for, as I recall, a mere $795. Go get 'em!!!!
docsue
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Day Owl » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:17 am

Tituba, you are doing some major hustling! (See my signature line...)
Day Owl "Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" -- Abraham Lincoln
Day Owl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:07 am

Must remember to breathe....... :shock: Ok, this is BIG. I met with the company that called about doing the event in Boston. It is an BIG international company and they chose me over the established groups in Boston. They plan on having us do improv and work the crowd for two hours in downtown Boston. Press, TV etc. will be there. They are also planning on filming it and will upload it to their website as well as YourTube. They said that if it works out, they plan similiar events later in the year. I mentioned my corporate training and the CEO seemed very interested in me doing that for his employees. They are also paying us. Not enough to quit our jobs, but enough to hold our heads up for sure. This all came through networking. I guess the lesson here is for me to leave my house and talk to people.... :)
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jezicka » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:26 am

WOW! That is SO cool, Tituba! And so well deserved! Yes, keep breathing-- slow, deep breaths-- and keep on meeting new people!
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby moviegal » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:58 am

Tituba wrote: They are also paying us. Not enough to quit our jobs, but enough to hold our heads up for sure. This all came through networking. I guess the lesson here is for me to leave my house and talk to people.... :)
Awesome! Congrats! Yep, networking pays off. There's a saying in Hollywood that it's not what you know, but who you know and I've personally found that to be true. Keep networking!
My dream in progress is located at http://www.shoomzone.com
moviegal
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:32 pm

Last year I gave a free improv workshop at the annual conference of chamber of commerce directors. I got a call from one of them and they paid me to hold a workshop with them this morning. It was alot of fun and had them laughing for about an hour. One of the people, who was at this morning's workshop, emailed me and wants to pitch my workshop to a group of human resource directors she works with. Ah, yes, that's the road I want to be on. This Friday, I'm guest speaker for PC stuff at a business forum. One day, I want to give up fixing PCs and do the improv/training full time.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories