Door are opening

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby Jezicka » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:30 pm

8) W-A-A-A-Y COOL!
Get Barbara Sher's quotes on mugs, T-shirts and other goods at http://www.cafepress.com/handsonhips All profits go to support Barbara's non-profit Kilim Women project in Turkey!
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:09 pm

Thanks! I also found a couple of leads I want to follow up on. Need Moonracer's help to create a good cover letter.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Moonracer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:34 am

Awesome advancements, Tituba! You're doing sooooo well. Try to figure out a way to mention your improv services when you do your PC lecture. And bring your improv brochure with you when you go. Cross promote, cross promote, cross promote!!! :D Sent you a PM regarding letter.
Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:10 am

I took a summer break from the improv group. I was getting burnt out and it wasn't fun anymore. For the past several weeks, I've been really thinking about what I want and don't want. What made me feel alive and what drained me. I've decided to put the improv group on hold and focus on other areas. I also reviewed my activities the past year. I realize that those times I really felt excited was when I was teaching children. The show I did for the grammar school was such fun. The kids energy and non-judgmental creativity made me feel so good. I want to focus on doing more of that and not having an adult improv group. I'm going to contact schools and offer an improv workshop with their theater students. Even if it is free or a small honorarium. Moonracer wrote me a great cover letter to go with my brochure for corporate training. Thank you again Moon. With all that is going on in your life, I'm blessed that you were able to help me.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:03 pm

A month or so ago I held an improv workshop for the local chamber of commerce. Someone there contacted me and asked me to be a presenter at their meeting for human resource managers for local companies. Today I held the workshop and it went well.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Longstrider » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:29 pm

Way to Go Tituba!!
Longstrider
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tricky Grama » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:39 am

Yea Tituba!! Patty
The meaning of life is inherent in the connectons we make to others through honor and obligation.
Tricky Grama
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jewelB » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:59 am

I just sat down this morning and read this thread start to finish! It is inspiring. . . You are inspiring! Thanks for this and thank YOU for all the good advice you've shared with me. I'm wondering. . . how is all your thinking about working with kids working out for you. I know it's not been long since you've written about that. PTA's and such do pay people to come in and put on performances and workshops! WTG, Tituba! --jewelB
jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:23 am

I'm wondering. . . how is all your thinking about working with kids working out for you.
To be honest with you, this teaching dream of mine is working out in baby steps. I've been so overwhelmed with computer repairs (good thing, so I can pay my rent and stay out of cubicle-land), that I haven't made as much progress as I could/should/would. I have this pile of leads and calls I should be making to move in this direction. I try to do at least one of them a week. Thanks all for your kind words.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Flacker » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:09 pm

Tituba, Congrats on all your hard work and for following (and and periodically re-evaluating your dream to make sure you're going in the direction of your passion). Can you tell us a little more about your improv/corporate training workshop. What do you teach? What's the theme or goal? Sounds so interesting...
Flacker
Flacker
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:44 am

Can you tell us a little more about your improv/corporate training workshop. What do you teach? What's the theme or goal? Sounds so interesting...
Thanks for the interest. Improv teaches \"yes, and\" versus \"yes, but\" thinking. You develop presentation, cooperation, team building and listening skills. Using improvisation games, I engage non-performers into exploring new ways of thinking and reacting to others. I've only made baby steps in the arena of corporate training. Have a full plate right now and haven't made as much progress as I hoped. Maybe resistance, maybe self-sabotage.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm

Haven't posted to this thread in awhile because to be honest, I've been so busy fixing computers that I've done little in the direction of this dream. However, a few weeks ago the Storytellers group asked me to teach an improv workshop. A dozen people showed up plus some children (my favoritie students). Here is what the organizer had to say after the workshop:
The IMPROV Workshop held Saturday, February 3 in Beverly, MA was a great success. This workshop was lead by Kate. Kate lead us through Improv Games that pushed what I thought I could do. Kate was there to guide us down the mountain of unease to the valley of the real. Smiling all the way. She is a top notch Improv leader. We hope she will be able to present this workshop at Sharing the Fire 2008. Kate has put together an Improv group called Scared Scriptless. When you see that name run to get your seat.You'll laugh till it hurts. Grab your side, yell out some topics and enjoy some great on the spot mini stories of sorts. Seven of us went to lunch afterward. What a grand day. First a two hour workshop then a two hour lunch. Life is good. Having folks attend from outside our LANES community attend this workshop gave us the opportunity to tell about our fine New England Storytelling community, and invite folks to Sharing the Fire. LANES members across New England could host workshops that would benefit our members and our greater communities. You get to learn, hang out with your friends and meet new ones. It is a win/win situation for every one. Personally, I plan to host here in Beverly quarterly workshops for Storytellers and our Greater North Shore Community. I encourage you to do the same in your town.
So, who knows? I do know it was great fun teaching improv again.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AVATC » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:43 pm

I guess that answers my question about the improv classes! Tituba, that is AWESOME feedback!! You should get permission to use that review as part of your testimonials on a web site (which I hope that you either have or are in the process of creating). I hope you are collecting and saving all of the glowing feedback that you are receiving as you teach these classes. I'm sure you know from your PC business how incredibly valuable testimonials are to your marketing effort. I see terrific things happening for you and your improv career in 2007!
Karen Commins
http://www.KarenCommins.com
My audiobooks on Audible.com: http://goo.gl/3A5Mu6
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Serial Diver » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:49 pm

I know that AVATC is correct that a testimonial like that is valuable for your business, but WOW! -- I'm thinking how valuable it must be for your ego! I'd carry that around in my pocket and read it about twenty times a day... I hope you're just glowing. Well done. SD
Serial Diver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Moonracer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:35 pm

Oh Tituba, that's fantastic! I'm so happy for you. And glad you got to get some improv time in even while your work schedule is so full. And maybe this was just the reminder you needed...
Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories