Earning Money With My Websites

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by TheGoToGuy »

I received a private message asking for more details regarding how to use Adsense on a website. My response is relevant to this thread so here it is:
Adsense works in a pretty straight forward manner. Once you sign up for an Adsense account with Google (you must have an active website to get approved), you will be able to select from various formats of ads that they make available. You can customize the ads by choosing colors for the text, background and borders. Then, Google provides you with a block of Javascript code to place on your web page where the ad should appear. When someone requests your page, Google scans the page looking for keywords in the content. It then looks for advertisers bidding on those keywords and places one or more relevant ads into the ad block you created. If one of your visitors clicks on an ad, Google will share the revenue payed by the advertiser with the site owner. There are a lot of nuances to how all this works and which ad formats and placements work best, but those are the basics. Visit my site and click on a few articles to see how I chose to integrate the ads there. The best resource for understanding the nuances of Adsense that I have found is a book by Joel Comm called \"The Adsense Code.\" I have a copy on my bookshelf. I don't expend quite as much energy on my Adsense income as the book recommends, but have used much of the advice about ad placement and formatting to arrive at the implementation that I currently use. One of the most important factors in determining your success with Adsense is writing content on subjects that advertisers are willing to pay big money for. If people are only willing to pay $.05/click to advertise on your content pages, it will take a long time to make any money. If you already have a website, use this free Google tool to see how much people would be willing to pay for ads on your site: https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal Click on the 'The Site-Related Keywords' tab and enter the domain name for your website in the URL box. Check the box labeled 'Include other pages on my site linked from this URL'. In the drop-down box labeled 'Choose data to display' select 'Cost and Ad Position Estimates.' This will give you one more option to select the currency and maximum cost per click (CPC). Enter 100 in the CPC box. When you have done all that, click the 'Get Keywords' button. Google will search through your site and identify the keywords that advertisers are paying for and then estimate the value of each click. If your site doesn't generate at least a few keyword phrases worth $2-$3 or more, you won't make much money from ads. You can also use this tool to do research on other topics. If you find a web page on a subject you would be interested in writing about, run it through the tool and see how valuable the topic is to advertisers. For most casual web users, Adsense is not going to make you much money. But, there is potential to earn respectable income if your site is on a high value topic. You can also create sites and content specifically focussed on high value keywords, but be warned, there is a lot of competition out there and you will have to work to get traffic to your sites. Adsense isn't likely to make you rich overnight. But, as my experience demonstrates, it can add a respectable amount of income to your overall business plan.
Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
Andrew Seltz
Author, Publisher, Marketer, and Media Producer
Visit My Blog: http://www.AndrewSeltz.com

TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by TheGoToGuy »

I have a great bit of news regarding the success of my blog. This past week I received a message from a visitor to my website who said he liked my writing and wanted to know if I would be interested in publishing a book based on some of my writing! How Cool Is That? An agent contacted me and likes my stuff. He particularly liked my bookbinding articles. Who knows, this might actually work out! Who knows what other opportunities will arise from this one decision to start getting my work out there? Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
Andrew Seltz

ajpor
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by ajpor »

Congratulations, Andrew! It's exciting to get that call from an agent or publisher. Bookbinding is not something I'd have been interested in two years ago, but having gotten interested in altered art and circle journals, it's become relevant to me. You might want to consider targeting the altered artists with your bookbinding information. My own journal is ring bound with page protectors, very unsatisfactory but pretty standard methodology as so few of us know what the heck we're doing once we move from decorating pages to constructing the book itself. cheers, jean

TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by TheGoToGuy »

ajpor wrote:Congratulations, Andrew! It's exciting to get that call from an agent or publisher. Bookbinding is not something I'd have been interested in two years ago, but having gotten interested in altered art and circle journals, it's become relevant to me. You might want to consider targeting the altered artists with your bookbinding information. My own journal is ring bound with page protectors, very unsatisfactory but pretty standard methodology as so few of us know what the heck we're doing once we move from decorating pages to constructing the book itself. cheers, jean
Jean, Thank you. I originally started binding books because I was collecting a bunch of e-books and wanted to have some of them in printed form to read on the train and make notes in - very much a practical approach. But, my curiosity and knowledge have gown and the whole thing has taken on a life of its own. One of the question I need to start asking of my site visitors is 'why are you interested in bookbinding?' Some people are producing art projects, some are binding business reports or thesis papers. One of my visitors recently sent me photos of his project which was to bind a family history he had written. Now I have something new to look up and write about! Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
Andrew Seltz

Movingalong
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Movingalong »

Andrew, Congratulations on your success! That's wonderful! I do have a question but it's not a technical one. I want to know how you kept yourself motivated through this process. I know one thing which you did throughout this thread which was to make reasonable goals and celebrate their success. That's a great strategy. But in the year and a half that you've been doing this, did you have any days when things were just too busy and crazy and things were dragging you in all different directions and you just wanted to quit? What did you do on those days? What did you say to yourself? How did you keep going? Again, congratulations on continuing to gain momentum! And thanks for any inspiration you might provide. I'm slowly, Movingalong

TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by TheGoToGuy »

Movingalong wrote:I want to know how you kept yourself motivated through this process... ...did you have any days when things were just too busy and crazy and things were dragging you in all different directions and you just wanted to quit? What did you do on those days? What did you say to yourself? How did you keep going?
Movingalong, In the same span of time I have held down a full-time job as a media producer, worked on 2 off-off Broadway theater productions (as set designer and technical consultant) done side work as a home theater installer, worked a few video shoots as a cameraman/director of photography, traveled for family events (graduations and funerals) become a 1st-time father, and am in the midst of buying/selling/moving apartments to give us enough space for the baby. So, yes, there have been plenty of busy crazy times. The single most important thing is that I have created a bunch of systems in my life to make it easy to capture this information is small pieces. Writing a blog article does not require a huge commitment of time and when it is done - it's done. By keeping a notepad handy at all times and jotting down ideas when I get them, I have built up a steady supply of material. I do the same with voice recorders when I'm in the car etc. As the small pieces gather, I'm left with quite a collection of resources. Plus they are in a place where people can see them and interact with me. That helps keep the motivation going. I've had more than 20,000 people visit my blog in the past year from all over the world - that is astonishing! It also reminds me of the value of what I am doing. Also, I have found a few forums that support the type of work that I do and become very active there. It creates a support network to help keep me moving forward. There are people there who give me great ideas about how to become more effective in my work (I've met a guy who easily produces more in one month than I do all year!) There is a lot of work involved. I mean, it is 3:30am as I type this and I have to go to work in the morning. But, look at the wonderful conversation we are having and it all started because I began a blog and started talking about it online. These conversations themselves are inspiring. It breaks down like this: - Create systems to make the work part of your daily routines - Focus on projects that are small and easy to complete - Publish, so people can see and interact with your work - Find communities that support and encourage your efforts If it is any consolation, I have a wake of unfinished projects and constantly wish I could get more done. But, looking back, I've done more than most people I know and I realize it's not a race. People who are in a hurry often forget to leave a record of where they have been. I hope this has been inspiring, informative, or at least amusing. This isn't my most focused bit of writing (it's now 4:00am - cut me some slack :D ) Start where you are. Do what you can. Enjoy the process (otherwise known as 'your life.'). Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
Andrew Seltz

Movingalong
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Movingalong »

TheGoToGuy wrote:In the same span of time I have held down a full-time job as a media producer, worked on 2 off-off Broadway theater productions (as set designer and technical consultant) done side work as a home theater installer, worked a few video shoots as a cameraman/director of photography, traveled for family events (graduations and funerals) become a 1st-time father, and am in the midst of buying/selling/moving apartments to give us enough space for the baby. So, yes, there have been plenty of busy crazy times.
Andrew, Thanks you for that wonderful response. I'm worn-out just reading about all the stuff you've done. Your accomplishments are all the more impressive since you have so much other stuff going on. Kudos to you for keeping up with all of it!
TheGoToGuy wrote:-Create systems to make the work part of your daily routines - Focus on projects that are small and easy to complete - Publish, so people can see and interact with your work - Find communities that support and encourage your efforts
This is wonderful advice. I've been working hard on three of the four of these. The one thing I haven't done is to publish anything. I'm not sure if that applies to me because publishing is not my goal, but perhaps it does because I've been thinking of creating a blog just to document my journeys. It would be really helpful to interact with other people, I think.
TheGoToGuy wrote:I hope this has been inspiring, informative, or at least amusing. This isn't my most focused bit of writing (it's now 4:00am - cut me some slack :D )
Actually, it's been all three. And I really do enjoy the amusing part, even if it's because it's 4 am. I hope you'll find some time later to catch up on your sleep. Or is that a forgotten commodity in your life at this point. For me, it's the one thing that I hold dear. I've come to appreciate the time to be able to sleep when there's craziness going on around me sometimes.
TheGoToGuy wrote:Start where you are. Do what you can. Enjoy the process (otherwise known as 'your life.').
Now THIS is sage advice and life in a nutshell for me. I especially appreciate the enjoy the process part. Without that, the whole thing loses meaning. But the rest is very good also. Thank you for your words of wisdom. I wish you all the success and happiness that life can bring.

TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by TheGoToGuy »

Movingalong wrote:The one thing I haven't done is to publish anything. I'm not sure if that applies to me because publishing is not my goal, but perhaps it does because I've been thinking of creating a blog just to document my journeys. It would be really helpful to interact with other people, I think... Thank you for your words of wisdom. I wish you all the success and happiness that life can bring.
You are welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed my comments and I highly recommend starting a blog. Publishing doesn't have to be your goal. It is just nice to be able to share your work and let it go out and connect you to new people all over the world. Thanks again, Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
Andrew Seltz

PositiveThinker
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PositiveThinker »

Hi Andrew, One of the things I like about your progress is that you are setting yourself doable and obtainable goals. I have always found when I compartmentalize large projects or problems I can handle it so much easier. It is great that you are making money and doinging what you enjoy. Also your good concise follow-ups are the sign of a great blogger! Good luck keep us posted. Positive Thinker

TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by TheGoToGuy »

Positive Thinker, I appreciate your comment. Breaking things down into manageable chunks is absolutely critical, specially for scanners. Looking back on a string of small accomplishments is very encouraging and much more helpful than feeling like you never get anything done. The funny thing is that the difference between those to things can be a matter of perception. Like dieters who use small plates to create the impression that they are eating more food because the plate is 'full.' This all just keeps leading to bigger and better things. I am in the process of releasing my first training product where I teach people how to build websites using the free Wordpress blogging software. I just used a program called Camtasia to capture the process and then put it all on a website and charged admission. It's very exciting to get an inbox full of messages telling you that you made a sale! Can't wait to see what happens next! Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
Andrew Seltz

inspired
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by inspired »

Hi, Andrew. Apol. in adv. if u somehow answ. this ? already, but thru what vehicle exactly do u earn $ from the sites? Google Adsense? Something else? Thx f starting thread . . .

TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by TheGoToGuy »

Inspired, There are three main sources of income on my blog. They are Adsense ads, the Amazon Deal Finder tool along with a small number of Amazon products links, and affiliate products that I have purchased and reviewed. (Every now and then I have used Pay-Per-Post to earn a little money, but not often.) I have other very targeted niche websites that are setup in much the same way, but with a less diverse collection of articles which includes content that I have gotten from other sources (purchase, republished from article directories, or adapted from public domain works.) My recently released training videos have been more profitable in a week than all my other income sources combined for the year (but, I'm still collecting those other checks too. :wink: ) One of the great things about the web is the diverse number of opportunities available to create income from your experience and skills. It's all still a work in progress, but I'm steadily moving closer to my goal of full self-employment. Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
Andrew Seltz

TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Earning Money With My Websites

Post by TheGoToGuy »

Update time again. 8) Before posting this update I re-read this whole thread and really enjoyed the discussion. Thanks to everyone who has participated in it. I am continuing to see more success with my marketing and publishing business online. I've recently been creating tutorial e-books and selling the rights to them to other marketers (topics include compressing audio files and how to sell and deliver digital products using a service called E-junkie - more topics are on the way.) These marketers resell them and/or include them in their products and I'm selling them on my own websites. I also put together a short e-book that tells the story of my first substantial marketing success online. My intent is to use this e-book as an incentive to get people to join my marketing mailing list. If you are interested in hearing the story of how I made my first $100 marketing online, then download a free copy of the e-book. Even though my goal is to use this as an incentive for people to join my mailing list, I'm including a link in this post that goes directly to the download page so you can bypass the email signup form if you prefer. This link goes directly to the download page: http://www.GoToGuyEnterprises.com/givea ... nkyou.html If you actually want to get on my mailing list, the link to the signup page is: http://www.GoToGuyEnterprises.com/givea ... /index.php I am really pleased with the way this little report turned out and it adds more details to the success story I've told on this thread. It explains one more method I found to generate income online. The money involved wasn't huge, but all of the little pieces add up after a while. It was also one of the first significant successes I had that inspired me to keep working. I'm really looking forward to hearing what folks here think of my little weekend writing project. Leave a comment or send me a PM and let me know. Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.GoToGuyEnterprises.com/blog/
Andrew Seltz

micromidas
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by micromidas »

Hi Andrew I just wanted to post and tell you that I stumbled upon your post about that "5 bucks a day" e-book, I ended up buying the thing and it turns out that it was just what I needed. Some missing pieces fell into place for me regarding an issue I have been struggeling with for years. So - I guess I just wanted to say thanks for posting it! :D M

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by velvet »

Wow, Andrew, your story is so inspiring. thanks for all your postings here. I like that it's a small step oriented approach to success - and I'm intrigued by that idea. I'm just processing the ideas now and wondering how I can apply the ideas somehow. no questions, I guess, just a thank you. velvet :)
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP