W: to move back to the west coast

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

W: to move back to the west coast

Postby abbycaddaby » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:35 pm

W: to move back to the west coast from the mid west so I can pick up where I left off pursuing my dreams O:money, guts and a new baby for more details look in ideas section!
abbycaddaby
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Nd2FndME » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:54 am

abbycaddaby, I wish you the best. It will be very hard with your bundle of joy in tow. BUT, it is doable. The only suggestion that comes to mind is to seek assistance from a church organization. I'm not sure what you religious beliefs are, but many church's are good about helping parents and mothers get a new start. I picked up one year and just drove back to California. It was refreshing. But, it was just me. If you are young, adventurous and have a really good resume, you may want to take baby on a road trip and journal your experience. Then write about it. I know dozens of mothers who would love to do something like that and would be willing to let your experience be theirs. Again, good luck.
Because peace is what it's all about!
Nd2FndME
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Moving to the West Coast: reply to abbycaddabby

Postby Suzanne » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi abbycaddaby, It sounds like you've lived there before. Is there some organization you were connected to where you could live and work part-time at first? Maybe be a resident hall director at a college? As my college, the R.D. had a small apartment. I don't know if that's universal or not though. But something like that? To be an R.D., for example, you'd need to be present at certain times of the day but have a lot of free time. (A college community has built-in babysitters too; you'd just have to find someone trustworthy whom your little one likes.) Good luck! Hope you're on your way soon.
Suzanne
New Poster
New Poster

I would use Craigslist as a resource....

Postby decterlove » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:38 pm

It's really not the greatest but it's not bad for certain categories. If you know what area you are planning to move to you could; a. Scope out possible housing and get a sense of costs. b. Scope out possible jobs and get a sense of the market. c. Post a service ad on gigs or search for a transition type work on it. d. post in community for other people who recently moved from the Midwest....start a little networking/support circle of transplanted folks. e. sell/buy stuff you need. f. look for free stuff and barter services g. go crazy trying to figure out why the ads you posted were flagged. h. etc. etc. etc... Likewise for any local news papers, etc. If you're moving to the Bay area, specifically Sonoma county, I may have other suggestions for you but don't expect housing to be cheap or full time jobs plentiful! The Holidays are coming up so some retail businesses are hiring temp staff to bulk up their abilities to handle the crowds. Good luck!
decterlove
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: W: to move back to the west coast

Postby annasus » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:17 pm

After reading your post, I thought to myself... Hmmm, I think her biggest obstacle is fear. If you get over the fear you can raise the money and find the support you need to make the big step. The other thing....if you are 100% certain that it's what you want and is what you need, all of the above is so much easier!
annasus
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby velvet » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:56 pm

I'm not sure where you were living in California before, but it's a big state, lots of less expensive places to live the further out you go.
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP
velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby zaxy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:33 am

can you tell us where exactly you'd like to move to? i'd be happy to offer landlord recommendations if you're headed anywhere i've lived before. :) as for the tot and the move- years ago, i moved out to Ca. with 6 animals and all of my worldly possessions- by hitching a ride with a friend of a friend who had gotten entire moving expenses to relocate for his tech job. i'm not saying this would be appropriate in your situation, but it might be a new way to look at it- ride-sharing could really help cut down on the expense of the actual move. as for jobs- do you have any particular skills? there are PLENTY out there, even if you have to work at a gas station while locating your ideal job. i would worry MUCH less about moving back to the west coast than i did about moving out here to the midwest. it's generally more expensive out there, it's true.. but it's also got endless opportunities for those with the drive and desire to meet those expenses. you CAN do it!!!
Imagine Infinity.
zaxy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby zaxy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:50 am

OH! and i meant to mention- CRAIGSLIST is a fantastic resource for anyone on, or wanting to BE on the west coast. http://www.craigslist.org over the years, i've used it to find jobs, housing, ride-shares, and much more.
Imagine Infinity.
zaxy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby abbycaddaby » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Well I did it! - I'm back In Cali!! It took a year for things to get truly unbearable and for me to get up the guts but I did it with a little help from some some west coast friends and my sister and myself! My sister gave me money to move my stuff and my car, an old friend found me a place to stay with for a month for free until I could find a place to rent and I figured out a part time job I could do at home so I would have some income and could watch my little one after I moved. Things have not been a cakewalk however,it's taken almost a year for me to stabilize enough financially to stop feeling terrified every day, but in general i feel a lot happier and more positive that good things can happen. Now I have new goals like getting more clients so I can make enough money to support myself and save up a down payment for a house and start doing other more creative things I really want to do. thanks for the advice and support!
abbycaddaby
New Poster
New Poster

Postby skannie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:58 am

Well done Abby!!! :D 8) :D 8) You're a real example for anyone who wants to make changes in their life. I know from experience how scary and difficult it can seem at times, but it's far better than staying stuck in an unsatisfactory life.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby zaxy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:57 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! i'm SO happy for you!!!!! what a brave and HEROIC thing to do, to make that move HAPPEN! woo hoo! :D
Imagine Infinity.
zaxy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby dogmom » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:17 pm

WOW! You are such an inspiration to me....I am thinking of making a move myself....I miss Colorado in a big way.... :( More later.... dogmom
dogmom
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Success Stories