For Everyone - List your 2007 Success

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: For Everyone - List your 2007 Success

Post by pattyn »

Tituba wrote:Whoa pattyn! Do post a separate thread in Success telling us how you did this! :D
The answer's too brief for a thread, Tituba. I did it the easy, Success Teams way: 1 millimeter per day for a year, with a group of people cheering me on to keep me from changing my mind. I started last Christmas, will finish May 16.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com

jk
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by jk »

I had major surgery with a lengthy recooperation time so my accomplishments are somewhat limited. Still: 1. Daughter graduated (Phi Beta Kappa) from college in May at the age of 20 - a major accomplishment for her of course, but also for us since we helped her do it without incurring any debts. 2. Started learning a new language - Spanish. 3. Worked through two books in target language and am now half way through a college text in the language. 4. Can now follow TV programs in language - a major accomplishment since a year a go I knew absolutiy no Spanish at all. (I studied French and Latin in School,) 5. Took up painting again - but in the past I did landscapes iwth ink and brushes, now I do portraits in acrylics and/or oils. 6. Completed 5 paintings. 7. Registered for painting class at local college. 8. Straightened out, repainted, relandscaped house, and got it on the market. Goals for new year: 1. Further improvements in Spanish 2. More paintings. 3. SELL HOUSE - we are desperate to move back to the east coast. I can't find the spell check on this new forum. Where is it?????

Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Scenario Thinker »

jk wrote:2. Started learning a new language - Spanish. 3. Worked through two books in target language and am now half way through a college text in the language. 4. Can now follow TV programs in language - a major accomplishment since a year a go I knew absolutiy no Spanish at all. (I studied French and Latin in School,)
That's good JK! If I were to study Spanish, I'd have 4 TV stations I could listen to (on basic cable)! Not to mention everyone at work in the cafeteria :) . I certainly would get a lot more practice than French (which I could get on TV-Cinq-Monde cable, but since that would be a cable upgrade, and I just did a cable downgrade, ain't gonna happen.
jk wrote:I can't find the spell check on this new forum. Where is it?????
For now, we just have red underlines on misspelled words if you use the Firefox browser: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20953 But, you'd still have to know the correct spelling, it doesn't do it automatically for you, you just know it's misspelled.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>

jk
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by jk »

Scenario Thinker wrote: If I were to study Spanish, I'd have 4 TV stations I could listen to (on basic cable)! Not to mention everyone at work in the cafeteria . I certainly would get a lot more practice than French (which I could get on TV-Cinq-Monde cable
We only have one Spanish channel - Telemundo - and most of the shows are utter trash - but still, I can hear the language spoken so I do turn it on now and again. Also, I live in the Southwest so there are many Spanish speakers here. Sometimes it's necessary to know some Spanish - for example when I need to comunicate to the landscapers what I want them to do. As for the spell check, I guess everyone will have to be tolerant of my (many) typos.

jk
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by jk »

S. T. : As a second thought, I bought a Spanish Harry Potter, the first book in the series, and am now reading it. Not great literature, but it's fun, easy to read, and helps me improve. I can compare it with the English version when I get stuck. You might be able to do something similar with French.

Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Scenario Thinker »

jk wrote:You might be able to do something similar with French.
Thanks for the tip. Sometimes I'll turn on one of the Spanish channels and just listen to it. I also have a bunch of French music I'll listen to over and over (this one artist, Natashia St. Pier), and I never seem to get sick of her. Maybe in both cases it's the fact that I don't know what they're saying except for a couple words here and there. ???
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>

spncity
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by spncity »

Thanks for starting this topic! 1. Finished the fifth book in my inspirational quotation book series - it's ready to send to the printer! 2. Painted a lovely ceramic platter for a wedding gift. Made two other Christmas presents for good friends. 3. Had several occasions to "be there" for friends and loved ones going through tough times. 4. Got the younger kiddo enrolled in film school and situated in a rented room in NYC. She's in her element and doing well. 5. Joined a gym where first kiddo is a personal trainer. She doesn't let me give in to my tendency to whine :) 6. Went to BookExpo - always an inspiration and an idea-generator 7. Celebrated 30th anniversary - happy to be more than happily married - I'd say "ecstatically married". :wink: I think 2008 will be a watershed year. Anticipating new directions. spncity

marymary
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by marymary »

They say that an egotist is one who has "I" strain. So, too, would this list appear to disclose that characteristic in me. With hope that "members of the boards" will indulge me without jumping to conclusions, this appearance is the result of writing these items in haste, as a matter of grammatical convenience. And so.... Successes and stresses for 2007 1. I finished my field studies and was able to participate in family meetings. I was pleased that clients responded favorably to me. I now know why they call it commencement. I truly am just beginning. 2. I attended a day long seminar on courage and left quite exhilarated. 3. I received outstanding evaluations for my field work. 4. I designed and produced a small “take away” transitional object for classmates. 5. I developed a strong relationship with my supervisor. 6. I wrote out long term goals for myself. 7. I graduated! 8. I obtained my license. 9. I entered a national writing competition. 10. I found work that would prove intriguing seemingly out of the blue—from posting a resume on the web. 11. I took up weight training. 12. I left one group that was not meeting my needs, and sought a new one. 13. I passed my licensing exam. 14. I began language lessons. 15. I reached out to form relationships at work. 16. I had the courage to tell someone I was “just not that into him.” 17. I began a new discipline in spirituality. 18. I bought new jeans. 19. I made sure to have the old jeans, markers of life history, repaired. 20. I spontaneously took a trip to see a part of my heritage. 21. I managed my finances, which changed significantly. 22. I began to let people know when I was at limits. 23. I allowed myself to fail. 24. I participated in these forums: what a gift! 25. I completed a 2000 piece jigsaw puzzle. 26. I came to terms with some matters of individual history. 27. I completed the Wishcraft exercises and realized that the wishing itself and the creativity that goes into it are enticing to me. 28. I joined in social groups that I found full of 19th century intrigue, reason enough to keep going. 29. I attended entrepreneurial showcases. 30. I received a bill for tens of thousands of dollars from the IRS. I had a fitful night, to be sure, but first thing the next morning call the IRS, reviewed the information in issues, and was told, “we have corrected and closed your account. You owe us nothing.” 31. I took first steps to home improvement: changing the shower curtain and installing a new shower head. 32. I made myself available to take care of a neighbor who was temporarily disabled by an accident. 33. I sent notices of my degree to my other institutions of learning. 34. I sent thank you’s to everyone who helped me through this academic adventure. 35. I took things to storage. 36. I threw things out. 37. I kept track of what I was doing and what I was not doing. 38. I read voraciously. 39. I crocheted so much that I became a fixture on the train. 40. I looked in to getting a life coach. 41. I enjoyed my life.
Last edited by marymary on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiral »

Well... let's see. In 2007, I wrote a large chunk of the rough draft of a novel, and participated and won Nanowrimo for my third year in a row. I passed the County Librarian I Oral Board exam (I count this as a qualified success.) I got through three intervews for Librarian I positions since September 25, although none have resulted in a job, yet. Felt better about the third one but still did not get the job. I did most of the work for the yearly periodical shift in November and December. (This is essentially an "out with the oldest issues to make room for the new year's worth" procedure. The work itself is not so difficult, but there is a lot to be done.) I asked for and got (Miracle!) a Christmas vacation for the last ten days of December. I didn't really go anywhere, but oh the blessings of unstructured time! Back to work tomorrow and I DON'T want to go! Gave the rough draft of one novel to my Dad as his 80th birthday present--and he LIKED it! I was happy and satisfied to get my new digital camera for Christmas--even though I would have LIKED more presents. :wink: I sent in my final car payment on December 21! Melissa

Izbit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Izbit »

These lists are awesome -- even the ones that begin with "my list isn't very impressive this year." Take a bow!

moviegal
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by moviegal »

Last year it felt like I was unbalanced. My business goals were moving forward, but my personal goals were at a standstill. This year, I'm pleased to say, was a much more balanced year. Here's a recap of how 2007 went for me:
    1. Began working with a screenwriter on the treatment for my film. The first draft is done and work has begun on the second draft. 2. Took a Cash Flow Analysis class. 3. Took a Business Plan class. 4. Took an Intro to Film Budgeting class. 5. Took an Intro to Film Budgeting Programs class. 6. Attended two film networking meetings. 7. Took a semester long class in Story Analysis and Script Development for Film and TV. I got an "A" in the class! 8. Began playing around with a new design and logo for my website. 9. Analyzed a short script for a friend. 10. Lost 19 pounds, but gained 7 back over the holiday season. It's back on the diet for me! 11. Had a cancer scare, but so far no cancer. I'm having to get tested every six months to keep an eye on things. 12. Got rid of a lot of clutter. 13. Bought new dining room chairs. 14. Bought a new chandelier for my dining room. 15. Bought new shelves to display my teapot/pitcher collection in my dining room. 16. Bought a new sofa. 17. Bought a new stuffed chair for my living room. 18. Bought a new coffee table. 19. Bought a new entertainment wall unit. 20. Bought a new desk. 21. Continued to blog and saw my readership quadruple this year. 22. Attended a class on Home Remodeling. 23. Attended a Film Editing class. 24. Attended a Casting class. 25. Attended a webcast featuring A-List Producers. 26. Took a trip to LA. 27. Started selling on eBay. 28. Had two garage sales. 29. Attended a retirement party for my first ballet teacher. 30. Took a trip to Carmel.
Overall, it's been an incredibly busy and productive year.
My dream in progress is located at http://www.shoomzone.com

paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by paralegalgirl »

* In 2007 I received my paralegal certificate with a 4.0! Note: I had wanted to get my paralegal certificate since 1985! * I survived the letdown that followed after getting the certificate; PLG

pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by pattyn »

Congratulations, PLG! I'm impressed at your accomplishment. You've climbed over so many obstacles to get here. Well done!
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com

DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by DJCNOR »

Stayed in the black the whole year (held onto my good enough job). Completed my NaNoWriMo novel. Planned a local Fringe event for a local maker's organization (that didn't come off for lack of a venue). Got to the second level of the Knight News Challenge. Created a new necklace design of tatted silk with Swarovski crystals. Crocheted a bespoke snood. Hand embroidered goldwork all along the hem of a reproduction gown. Took a digital photography class. It does help to do this. When I started, I thought I had only one thing to write. DJCNOR

wild rose
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by wild rose »

Wonderful lists! Thanks for posting them! Some of you really don´t shy away from success - how inspiring! -I finished my architectural studies last year with a degree "Dipl. Ing." -I landed a job, which is really good enough and is paid very well. Next tuesday is my very first day. -My new job brings me back to my favorite city (Hamburg, Germany) and gives me the money to look for all the other nice cities in the world (-: -I just signed up for missing tests in physics at the University of Hamburg. I talked to my professors about it in october last year. -My husband and I had a very nice new year´s party. He bought the tickets and we bought a new dress for me. Then we went dancing and celebrating the accomplishments of the last year and our plans for this year. At the party and with the new dress I felt like seventeen and very happy! -With an old friend from schooldays I reastablished contact (he lives in New York). We met in our German home town in summer and write emails frequently. -Another old friend just showed up on xing - it feels like this is because of my 2007 changes and because I am heading in the right direction? -I reached out to make some new friends and met with some people from Mensa-very uplifting experience. -In late November I went to a weekend retraet to make plans for the coming year. I joined a group of people who do this for 25 jears now! We meet regularly once a month and (they) follow a certain life and business-planning model. In the fall I introduced them to Barbaras work and they fell in love with it! -At christmas I found out, I will have to stay away from my family to let my life unfold happily and with my husband. I had counseling over the last year, so I knew what to look for and I am very aware. I am still very thankful for the wishcraft workshop I went to in 2006 and how Barbaras work has helped to change my life profoundly for the better this last year!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Barbara!!!
The day came when the risk to remain a closed bud became more painful than the risk to bloom. _Anais Nin