My Ideas Are Turning Into Cash...

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

My Ideas Are Turning Into Cash...

Postby TheGoToGuy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:03 pm

The last couple of months have been very exciting for me. I've created and released (to a limited audience so far) a set of training videos that show people how to create content websites using Wordpress blogging software as a content management system. I am a scanner through and through. My interests run from bookbinding to home renovation, theater production to cinematography. Over the past 2 years I've been focused on building an online business to take advantage of my skills. At the end of the summer I was chatting on a marketing forum about creating websites and someone asked if I could show them how I make the ones I've created. So, I used a screen-capture program called Camtasia and recorded myself going through the process. I created a private membership website with the videos and some support documents and posted an offer on the marketing forum for people who wanted to buy access. I sold over 140 copies and received some glowing comments about the quality of the content and the presentation (not to mention a nice chunk of cash!) A short while later I offered 40 copies for sale in another marketing forum and sold out in a week. Now, I'm in the process of fixing up the site and getting everything ready to do a public launch of the training videos. There are tons of details to work out and promotional materials to create, but I'm loving every crazy minute. One of my goals in starting the online business was to validate the value of my scanner experiences. I was able to take the knowledge I gathered experimenting with websites and software and turn it into a training package. Not only that, but people where happy to give me money to access my knowledge (most said I should have charged much more.) I've written posts here before about how I'm making income online (Earning Money With My Websites, Writing and Selling Reports Online), but this blows all the other successes out of the water. A whole new world of possibilities is opening up. I could support my family with this kind of work - and do it from any location with an Internet connection. The thing that continues to amaze me is how much value people are getting from what I shared. So much of the time I assume that what I know is common knowledge. But, even experienced webmasters have told me they learned something new. I have to continually remind myself that everyone doesn't think like me. I hope you find this post encouraging. I'm not a genius or even a brilliant business man. I'm just a curious scanner who figured out that there are lots of ways to turn your knowledge and experiences into income. The most important thing is to just try things. When I started out, I didn't know this would be my first big success. Most of the early stuff failed. But, the people I met along the way and the experiences I had paved the way. Even now I'm gaining new experiences. I've learned how to setup and promote businesses online and have found myself consulting with several authors to help them plan ways to market their non-fiction books. That would never have happened without my original decision to start experimenting and try to build a business. Thanks for the chance to sing my own praises. I look forward to hearing others do the same. Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
Andrew Seltz
Author, Publisher, Marketer, and Media Producer
Visit My Blog: http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: My Ideas Are Turning Into Cash...

Postby pattyn » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:14 pm

Congratulation, Andrew! Can I ask what software you used for your membership site?
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby TheGoToGuy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:54 am

Patty, I use a very simple program called Instant Membership Site Creator (IMSC) that creates a password protected directory on my server. Then, I use software like PHPBB and Wordpress to create the actual sit inside this proctected directory. It's not the most sophisticated method in the world, but it's fast, cheap, and has been working well. I got the IMSC script through a marketing membership site that I joined (which uses the same solution!) Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.GoToGuyEnterprises.com
Andrew Seltz
TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby pattyn » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:29 am

Sounds simple, Andrew. Do they provide a script or a hosting service?
- Patty Newbold
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby TheGoToGuy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:05 am

Patty, The Instant Membership Site Creator (IMSC) is just a script that creates a protected directory on your server and installs some simple management tools. It creates an account creation page (which you forward your customers to after they've payed), an admin page for managing users, and a page for password retrieval for users who forget their passwords. It is all very basic, but functional. Hosting and domain names are a separate issue. I have two hosting accounts right now to manage my sites. One of my future projects is to put together a step-by-step training series for creating a membership site. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to that because of the work remaining to fully launch the existing training product. There are a number of membership software packages that do similar things using different technology approaches. Amember is a popular solution, but it's a bit pricey for my blood and you have to license a copy for every domain you use it on (that rules out creating small niche membership sites which is where IMSC shines.) Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.GoToGuyEnterprises.com
Andrew Seltz
TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby pattyn » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:41 pm

Thanks, Andrew. I'm sure you'll find many people looking for help with creating membership sites.
- Patty Newbold
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby twisterintexas » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am

That is really something! I am excited for you. It's nice for the forum to hear about people who are putting their ideas into action and getting returns on them! Good luck in the New Year!
twisterintexas
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby TheGoToGuy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:16 am

Twister, Thanks. There is a pretty big gap between the idea of doing something and actually doing it. I read Barbara's "Refuse To Chose" when it first came out and was inspired to begin actively doing something different with my life and business. Along the way I've found some great groups of people to support and mentor me. That has been very important. Now I'm looking forward to even bigger things! Andrew Seltz The Go-To Guy! http://www.GoToGuyEnterprises.com
Andrew Seltz
TheGoToGuy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby amelie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:13 am

Nice story. It's funny I've been learning about online and affiliate marketing for a while now. Just got back into really trying to learn about it. I have a feeling a lot of internet marketers are scanners. I've noticed a pattern with a lot of internet marketers...and that is a lot of them have similar traits. It's that entrepreneurial/scanner personality. How lucky we are to be around when the internet is such a big hit. I am dabbling in the idea of immersing myself in internet marketing, but I am concerned that it is really not me. I liked reading your articles Andrew and I think your articles are easy to read and personable, so now you got to go out and do more online meet and greets to get your brand up and running. I too have written articles and done video tutorials online. They have been quite successful, although I should market them more. I was even surprised I have quite a few subscribers on youtube. I put two crappy videos up on there, not really for the youtube audience, it was for a forum I run and all of a sudden I have had a steady increase in subscribers - bizarre.
amelie
New Poster
New Poster

Postby wild rose » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:02 am

Dear Andrew, how wonderful! Yours is a very encouraging story, because it shows that as a scanner you have no longer to be at a loss, but can actually use your talents in a productive way. I think our time is just dawning, the world is changing in our favour and the internet is maybe just one playground for multi-talented right-brainers. All the best for your venture! Greetings, Susanne
The day came when the risk to remain a closed bud became more painful than the risk to bloom. _Anais Nin
wild rose
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Success Stories