150 Steps in April

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps in April

Post by mango »

Wow, everyone is making good progress! Congrats on getting through the time with the in-laws, Mannix. Even reading about it was stressing me out. I live far away from family on purpose, and they don't like to travel, so it works well for me. Of course, my husband's relatives are another story. :roll: I had a bit of a nervous breakdown and ended up with two weeks off work (had to lie through my teeth to get it, too). I wrote another post with all the gory details. Not quite sure why I rolled off the deep end, but it was and is quite scary. My goals are all over the place, and I can't pick one for this thread that is both simple and complex enough to make me happy. Steps: 1. Made an appointment with my therapist. I need to enlist her as part of my support system for changing my life and starting my own business. 2. Delegated household tasks to make my husband and nephew share the load (and give me more free time to pursue my business goals). 3. Decided to look into what is offered by my employer as far as options for long-term leave. 4. Re-committed to signing up for the bookkeeping course through my local tech college (but the course is online, thank God). 5. Will be stopping one medication on Thursday per my shrink. Cross your fingers for me if you get a minute. :bash:
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Another productive day! 45. Finalized my taxes 46. Made 8 cold calls for my translation business 47. Worked on songs for my band I'm playing an out of town gig tomorrow so I won't be checking in til Thursday! See ya soon!

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

In-laws on their way home ... whew!

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone, Well, the folks took off for home this morning. They thanked us for the perfect vacation. Too late for this trip, but it occurs to me that I might deal with them a little better if I think of them as senior citizens who need more attention. One hates to do that when it comes to parents, but things make a lot more sense in that perspective. To that effect, I told my husband he needs to take time off from work if and when they visit here again. My steps for today: -- Alexander lesson (done). -- Goalwork for next teleconference - schedule those reality exercises from "Live the Life You Love" tape 2. (Been on the task list a long time!) -- Teach 3 lessons. -- Practice the violin. -- Respond to gig-friend's e-mail about what jobs I would like to play in June. (Save time to go back to the beach late June/early July. :D ) -- Return call from personal trainer and make an appointment with OB-GYN. (I can't even remember the last time I went! :shock: ) -- Some housework and laundry, maybe a few 15-minute sessions. -- Take recycling to the curb. -- Continue sensible diet, yoga this evening. Mango, I'm so sorry about your nervous breakdown! At least you got the time for yourself, and that's the most important thing. Jane, have fun on your gig! -- Mannix

marymary
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by marymary »

Not much new from this corner of the universe, although I must report I met my goal of enjoying the spring weather, at least for last Saturday, anyway. Sunday was some form of primitive deluge that brought noise and lightning sufficient to wake me from a sound sleep two nights running. Making it a point to get out and to be more social, it seems to make life all around good. A work difficulty seems to be on its way to resolution, although I had grown so accustomed to it that its absence seems odd. I have taken a few minutes to try to do some networking for an acquaintance whose business is being reinvented as a non-profit. This has been a good deal of fun and feels good. So, I am wondering about other ways to do well and good. Best to all.

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

Hey, better late than never!! I've missed this forum for a couple of months, and am ready to start back at it. 9 days of 5 steps a day makes it 45 steps in April goals: 1. complete all necessary paperwork to register for two classes, get transcripts, secure funding 2. eat at home, good yummy food 3. walk to places downtown rather than drive 4. schedule one day a week as letter writing day and write 2 - 3 letters 5. keep house tidy, with my stuff more separated from roommates stuff 6. behave responsibly in regards to crush on MLWB 7. work on garden at least 20 minutes per day 8. plan money spending today 1 ate at home, got some groceries to eat at home 2 tidied bathroom towels 3 did dishes 4 20 minues in garden

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

calming steps

Post by Lynx »

Big support shout outs to: Mannix, who survived the visit of Senior Citizens posing as parents. Jane B, who writes, who sings, who translates, who meets men, ... Mango, not sure what you're going through, and you probably don't either from the look of it. I send my support. Keep notes of what flashes through your being during this period. I forget who asked a few days back about what I do. I am a solution-focused consultant. My special passion is getting people to be more intentional about how they meet (shortens meetings, brightens moods, sometimes agreements reached that save time, alter plans or relieves people of over-performance). Most of my gigs are more prosaic, things like strategic planning, coaching, retreats and basic facilitation. I approach my work as an art, so I'm constantly creating fresh mixes of common things or bringing in ideas from odd fields and apply them to organizations. I write a lot. Much of it for my work (handouts, guides, etc.). I have my dissertation, a book for boards of directors, and a booklet for estate executors. Piles of reports and surveys and such. I am working on a book about the interweaving of power and love in our lives. I have a screenplay that needs work. After that I want to novelize it so I have a chance of seeing it produced (apparently the route is novel sells first and then come the movie deals). At the bottom of my depression a few years back I identified one factor as I suck at marketing myself. Immediately felt must more jubilant. Since them work has picked up considerably, yet I probably will always suck at marketing myself. So I do other things. I network a lot. I make sure to get back to people when I say I will. I make most of my deadlines. Starting now it's likely to be 100% for the near term. I return email and answer calls. I send thank-you notes. I make presentations at conferences. I underpromise and overdeliver. Right now I'm 'playing' with PowerPoint and a new web page (GoLive 5).
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: calming steps

Post by Mannix »

Lynx wrote: Mannix, who survived the visit of Senior Citizens posing as parents.
Lynx, my mother-in-law called just as I was reading this! I was laughing and almost read it to her inadvertently! Thanks for the giggle! :D

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Accomplished Steps for Today

Post by Mannix »

1. Made a list of 5 "reality" activities per the "Live the Life You Love" exercise. Next step is to put them on my calendar. 2. Practiced the violin. 3. Taught 2 lessons. (One student did not come because she could not find her instrument. ??? :evil: ) 4. Committed to gigs for June and tentatively scheduled a week at the beach! 5. Scheduled appointment with trainer and e-mailed request to HMO for OB-GYN appointment. (Haven't been since 2006! Whoops!) 6. Put away 2-3 loads of clean laundry. 7. Took recycling to the curb. 8. Took a walk around the neighborhood. Still a bit reluctant to do this. I keep thinking I'll get tackled by a couple of pit bulls. So what did I encounter on tonight's walk? A guy walking a pit bull. It was a puppy, though. :? 9. Did pretty good on the food plan, although I did order that latte in the "grande" size, and I had some chips and salsa this afternoon ... Tomorrow I may have to make a stand with a student's mom. She's nice, but getting a little overbearing. Her daughter and another student are performing at a solo ensemble festival on Friday. They are required to provide original copies of their music to the judge at the time of performance. I told both moms they didn't need to worry about buying extra copies because I had some and I would bring them to the performance. Tonight I found out this lady is afraid I might not get to the performance on time and she wants to take my music with her after her daugher's lesson tomorrow. Doesn't sound like much by itself, but combined with some other things she's done/said, I'm afraid I'm letting her take too much control over the lessons. I think I need to assert myself a bit here and stick to my original plan. Marymary, enjoy that absence of difficulty in your work life! I'm sure it will feel better as you go along! Hi, Ann Marie, welcome back! And a good night to all. I'm off to watch "Shark." -- Mannix

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Thank you, Mannix and Lynx. :) I didn't do much today. 1. Called my mama. 2. Looked into leave of absence possibilities.

-- Agnes de Mille

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, Slept an extra hour this morning. I guess I needed it. Don't feel like doing much of anything today, but there's a bunch of stuff to do. I've promised myself the day off tomorrow. I'm going to get my hair done and perhaps a little shopping at the mall. But I've still got to be good today. One important success I forgot to mention from in-laws visit: I asserted myself and politely told my mother-in-law to STOP CLEANING. I'm not sure how much of what I said soaked in, but I felt good for saying something instead of keeping it in and getting even more freaked out. Steps for today: -- Drive husband to the Metro station. (Then Starbuck's?) -- Workout. -- 2-3 lessons this afternoon. (One student is flying home today from Indiana. With all the cancellation problems, good chance he won't make it.) -- Update the master to-do list I made last week, see what needs to be done. -- "Power hours" on teleconference goals, housework, lesson planning. And my husband just came in to tell me about all the things I can do today that he was going to do and didn't. :evil: Mango, I feel your pain with hubby. I wish I could give you some cure-all advice. Hope things get better soon. -- Mannix

tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by tapit »

Looks like everyone is moving along in this lovely spring weather... I'm veering off in a number of directions... 1) I did my usual binge thing at work last PM. The place can be an absolute pit with really, really sick people needing attention RIGHT NOW! and then I slide into the "I need chocolate right this minute" and trying to negotiate with other departments to get what patients need as soon as possible... then someone shows up with the doughnuts and candy and.... I haven't gotten on the scale today... 2) I have been researching the book like a good girl and enjoying it, since I read out on the back deck in the sun. 3) Went to the Public Access channel to see if I could arrange something for students of my fall class to come in and learn how to work cameras, etc. They were really obstructive and I'd be afraid to recommend my students to them. I have never been in an Access studio that's been this way. Most of them (Tucson, Williamstown, Portsmouth) have bent over backwards to encourage people to learn how to use cameras and broadcast their stuff.... 4) Although this has nothing to do with my original goals, I arranged for a summerlong project with two sailors I know to take me to the islands around here. I've been dying to photograph the islands for ages, and just explore them (though some are no bigger than rocks...). In exchange I'll learn to crew for them... :D

sceptique
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by sceptique »

Two big steps for April: 1. Launched marketing website for my business: http://www.elitalive.com 2. Had our first demo lecture (free) Now the next milestone is to get actual sales...
“My reputation grows with every failure.” George Bernard Shaw

Cheesecurry
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Cheesecurry »

Back in for my not-very-daily report: 1) I'm coming to the conclusion that for freelancing to work I need to treat it as more of a business and less of a hobby. Problem is, how do I make a business out of wanting to do lots of different kinds of work to find out what appeals? Or is it ok to just play around for a bit and just do odd bits of work here and there? (Yes, sometimes all I need is validation!) 2) Got the guts up to quiz some dance teacher friends of mine for help in teaching contemporary to ballet dancers - for some reason talking to other people about a project makes it feel much more serious, so I always feel proud of myself when I manage it. Also managed to get some more photography done thanks to my friend-cum-life coach and the spring weather making brief appearances here. She's giving me little tasks, since I love having little creative projects to complete. :) (There's a link to my flickr page from my webpage link under my photo if anyone's interested, but don't get your hopes up!) 3) Getting to grips with the bedtime routine. It's starting to feel more like a habit and less like just following a list of nightly to-dos. I've decided to see if I can go without using my to do list this evening and check my success in the mornings instead. 4) Finding more people to support me. Feeling more confident about talking to others about my ideas. Not quite ready to start telling everyone I know all my new ideas, but at least I have a good solid sounding board here and in my friends. Overall, I'm chuffed with April and am looking forward to tying up loose ends on these goals and setting myself some new ones for May! @Mannix - NI stands for National Insurance and pays for thinks like our National Health Service. It's different to Income tax. I went to the interview in the end, I decided the feeling was fear of failure rather than anything else. Turns out my friend (who works there and passed my name on) had been bigging me up something rotten so that I had very little to do! :) @skeptique - Love the website! It looks very impressive. @ Lynx, mango et al - oodles of support and congrats for all your achievements! Right, my sleeping plans are going to be shot if I don't send this and go right now! TTFN
Do more (Think less)

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone, A couple of unexpected successes today: 1. Sold my second item on e-bay! It went for a whopping 99 cents. Hmmm. 2. Made friends with a dog who lives near here (and her owner). I'm skittish with dogs; she (the dog) is skittish with humans. Maybe after I've seen her a few more times I'll ask her owner if she needs someone to walk the dog during the day. Others: 3. Read book on Alexander Technique. 4. Taught 2 students. (Yep, the other one's flight was delayed.) 5. Had a long workout. Still having that feeling that I'm going to get sick if I don't get plenty of sleep, so signing off for now. Good night, all! -- Mannix

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Thank you, Mannix. Congrats on your big step with the neighbor's dog! Not sure that I have any steps to report for today. I have an appointment with my therapist tomorrow. My husband is going out of town, so that will give me much needed time to think. I might go on a little adventure if the weather is good. I have made a startling realization. I'm a nicer, happier, more friendly person, more in touch with my emotions, more giving, more ME when I'm not reporting to work every day. I get tons of stuff done without anyone telling me what to do. I exercise, I take better care of my pets, my house, my body, and I eat better. This is what I want. I AM GOING TO WORK FROM HOME. That is my overall 150 steps goal from now until the end of time. I've been using aromatherapy (pillow spray that I'm totally addicted to) and soothing white noise (crashing surf), along with my new meds, to get to sleep at night. I also ordered a mouth guard. Can't wait to get that (believe it or not) because I often wake up with a headache from grinding my teeth and clenching my jaws. In the morning, I've been using one of those natural light machines for 15 minutes. This is what I want. Enough money to get by, multiple income streams, free time to have adventures, and way to help other people. I was thinking about that question that everyone asks: what would you do if you didn't have to work? I would help other people who don't have a lot of money or education to get their finances in order and take advantage of every opportunity. I once saw a program in financial planning that was combined with family... something... family financial planning? Community development? Sustainability? I can't remember.

-- Agnes de Mille